Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Wrath

A scent aflame with rage, swirling in the red haze of hatred: dragon's blood spiked with black pepper, clove, and cinnamon.

Bottle: ok, this smells like what clove chewing gum and big red together must taste like.
Wet: same.
Dry: the cinnamon is mellower, no sign of the pepper, but the clove and dragon's blood resin together are really amazing.
Later: faded fairly quickly, but warm, amazing not-food-y spicy, and, well, interesting. I was fascinated smelling this, the interplay....

bottle:

dragons blood and cinnamon. Spicy!

wet:

very true to the description - really spicy but nice!

dry:

it mellows out upon drying, and is a really nice spice blend. Cloves and cinnamon are most noticable, with dragons blood rounding it out.

overall:

I like it!

rating: 8/10

Wrath is strikingly similar to the BPAL blend Blood, but it’s not as heavy, resinous, or full-bodied. It’s like the weaker brother of Blood. It’s a decent dragon’s blood blend, but after wearing Blood, it just doesn’t have the “oomph” I want in a blend of this sort. It has moderate throw and staying power.

In the vial: Myrrh.

On me: The myrrh and jasmine show up immediately, leaving me to wonder where the rose is. My first impression is that this is a nice, sensual scent - warm without being too dark. Unfortunately, a few hours later, this smells disgustingly rotten.

Verdict: Sold this to someone else! It was gross.

Rating: 1/5

When I first put this one, the skin on my wrist stayed red for a while, which freaked me out.

The spices are strong at first and then they settle into the dragon's blood. The scent doesn't stick around on me for some reason.

The scent is much darker and stronger than I like, but the smell isn't bad at all. It's not something I would wear, though.

rating: 2/5

Ahhh....this is nice! I probably should not have tried it in mid summer- to me, it's a fall/winter scent. It's lovely anytime, though. Wet, I smell no dragon's blood at all, but upon drydown, the cinnamon, clove and a smidge of black pepper burn mix well with the dragon's blood which makes an appearance. I like this a lot :P

In imp and wet: Burnt plastic overlaid with powder

Dry and wearing: Red Hots kind of cinnamon. I got a headache from it and had to wash it off. This is a little too straight-forward of a scent for me; I can see it being really nice layered (perhaps with Chimera or another scent whose cinnamon isn't as prominent) but the fact that it gives me an almost immediate headache puts it in the swap pile.

In the bottle: At the outset I smell dragon’s blood and cinnamon: very spicy. Yet, the dragon’s blood seems to underscore the cinnamon more than it proclaims its own scent.

Wet: Definitely spicy and angry. This is a perfect scent for wrath. It reminds me of the red ranting smiley :P and the smite one :D .

Drying down: This is warming up on my skin, though thankfully not enough to burn. After the reaction I got the first time I tried on Voodoo, I thought this one might be a candidate for ouch. Then again, I got used to Voodoo, so that might’ve helped matters.

Dry: The cinnamon has brightened up, like red hots. Perhaps more like atomic fireballs with their hint of creamy sugar underneath the spicy coating. The clove and the black pepper aren’t coming out as much from afar, but if I stick my nose up close to my wrist, there’s a sharpness and an anger to it that helps keep its wrathful character.

Later: Drat it all… The dragon’s blood went soapy on me. The yummy spices simmered down into an undertone. It’s still interesting, but I don’t think my skin can make this shine. I’m beginning to think that it’s a rare blend that has dragon’s blood in it that I can wear well. It’s a shame, since I was born in the year of the dragon and happen to be fond of them…

in the imp:

Cinnamon red hots.

wet:

Whew! Nose-stingingly hot and spicy. Smells like red hots mixed with motor oil. Whoa nelly, that's strong.

dry:

Dries down a bit softer, and I get flashes of the black pepper and clove. If I didn't know it, I wouldn't think this has dragon's blood in it at all - that note usually is a sharp lilac-y scent on me and I don't get any of that in this. Honestly, it may as well be a cinnamon single note on me! That's all I smell...cinnamon gum.

overall:

Not unpleasant, but I don't especially want to smell like a stick of Big Red gum all day! Would be perfect for cinnamon lovers though.

In the imp: Spicy

Wet: Cinnamon and stacks of it! It's very sweet too, almost candy sweet.

Drydown: While it's still quite sweet, it has stepped back a bit. I can detect all the notes clearly now which is good because I love them all, even the pepper which is a new one for me. Despite all the cinnamon and pepper I'd say this isn't an exactly wrathful scent. Then again, maybe it's like me - flare up in a temper suddenly but calm down just as quickly.

Dry (1 hour): Warm, smooth, spicy dragon's blood. The cinnamon dies down a lot, but it's still there. Has quite a bit of throw and is sexy as well as comforting to me

Dry (1 1/2 hrs): The cinnamon has all but disappeared, leaving me with a lovely warm, smooth dragon's blood with just the tiniest hint of spice. There also seem to be a floral note, I guess this is the lilac that many get from dragon's blood but I haven't before.

Later: Ok this is weird now. it's still dragon's blood and that floral note, but there's an almost sour note as well. Or rotting flowers. It could be funky skin chemistry I guess, so I'll need to retest it again.

I'd tried four dragon's blood blends before this one and I really like or completely love them all. This is no exception, at least not until that weirdness appears.

Wrath-

In Bottle: Ooh, that rich powdery cherry-ish Dragon's Blood smell, plus something equally rich and spicy.

Wet: Cherry cherry cherry clove. Soon it is clove clove clove cherry!

Dry: I was going to say that this was a scent best for fall or Yule, with that clove scent, but now that the black pepper scent is blooming, I've reconsidered--this is definitely a great scent to be called Wrath; it's "don't mess with me"; it's "I will so kick your ass." Terrific scent to make you strut!

Overall: I like!

Wrath smells like yummy cinnamon and spices! Definitely a "red" scent. I figured I was going to like any of the ones with dragon's blood in them. Mmmm... yay for GC stuff I like!

Score: 5 out of 5

This stuff is red. It dies my wrist pink. This is a pointy, angry cinnamon-clove-pepper spice. No air freshener dried petals here. The dragon's blood sweetens it and adds its distinctive fruity resin to the blend. It's very evocative of wrath. That said, I'm just not a wrathful person. This has gone to someone who loves it more than I do, I'm sure.

Oh, and keeping it in my little styrofoam cup of swappable imps, it leaked a little and *melted a hole in the styrofoam*. :P

This is amazing - spicy, warm, and red. I can smell the all thespices, sweetened with th dragon's blood.

It even evoked the sleepy "Mmmm...you smell good" from the husband.

Definitely a keeper.

Okay, so in the bottle I kind of got incense-y notes and a sweet honeysuckle smell.

on skin: Honeysuckle, spice, and incense (in that order). Very feminine and sweet, but with a kind of musty, dangerous background. The "church smell" is magnified a little after a few hours as the other smells fade (a good thing, in my opinion). It's less of a furious, scorned woman, kicking your ass in heels kind of Wrath and more of a sweetly-smiling, silently seething with anger, putting rat poison in your Caramel Frappucino as she destroys your reputation kind of Wrath. My first BPAL (yaaay!) and a freebie from the lab (thank you lab!).

Umm... what the heck is going on here?

This is like opening a door while expecting a Doberman only to reveal a Chihuahua.

So very strange, its so red, it has only spicy notes in it, everyone seems to be saying spicy, but then why am I getting lilac? Lilac, and eventually the spice pokes up a bit, but only a bit. I guess I'm one of those people for whom Dragon's Blood smells of lilac on the skin.

The hubby declares it "Very pink” which is actually high praise from him, given his reaction to other scents, and floral smelling scents especially. This isn't Wrath on me, its more like a Tinkerbell (not an actual BPAL scent to my knowledge - just the idea).

The throw is powerful, and it lasted forever on me, I took a shower the day after I applied it and I could still smell it. Rather amazing.

When I first put this on, all I could smell was Red Hots. After about fifteen minutes, it mellowed down into a cinnamony-floral that smelled really nice... and gave both my BF and me a non-stop sneezing fit until I went and washed. I like this one a lot but it just wasn't meant to be.

With Wrath I had my typical dragon's blood experience, which is, it smelled very brightly floral for a little while, with a little spicy cinnamon mixed in. Then the dragon's blood resin dries and it settles into sweet and spicy. Pleasant but somehow anything with dragon's blood just kind of sits on my skin, not doing much exciting for me. It's not bad, just kind of....unexciting for me.

I really liked this when it first when on. It was a very clean spicy scent. The cinnamon was pretty much all I smelled at first, and seems strong, although it doesn't project very much. You have to get right up close to where you put it on before you can smell it. The dragon's blood and pepper came out at the very end, right before it died. It's been an hour and a half since I put it on, and it's completely gone.

If it lasted longer or projected better, I would get a 5ml, but as it is, it's going in the swap pile.

Edit:It lives! A little, anyways. Black pepper and cloves now. Still not enough to stay with me, though.

Edited by chibighatta

In the imp: Spicy dragon's blood

Wet on my skin: I've been robbed! I came for the spice, and sadly there's no spice to be found. I'm getting sweet dragon's blood, which has disguised itself as fruity flowers. Dragon's blood doesn't usually do that to me. Huh.

Drydown: There's no change. I wanted spicy cinnamon goodness, and all I got was a pleasant fruity floral.

Overall: Well, Wrath is pleasant enough on me, but pleasant isn't quite what I was looking for. I envy those of you who get welt-inducing spice from this one. All I got was a pale shadow of my beloved Blood. I do like Wrath, but it just doesn't fit a niche for me.

Mmmmm...

Very cinnamony in the bottle. I can smell the peppery undertones, though.

Wet: dragon's blood is very prominent, it's quite sweet, but a nice, warm, cinnamony sweet. Maybe the clove is adding to the sweetness, it's a spicy sweet.

Drydown: The cinnamon begins to fade a bit, and the pepper comes through more. Now it's sweet with a sharp spicy tinge. Very nice. This is a scent with an edge to it.

Definitely well-named. The changes this scent goes through work well... it starts out sweet and a bit spicy, then gets downright sharp and edgy, and eventually fades to just a warm simmer. I want a bottle of this.

Wrath is a hot sweet melting on my tongue. It has Dragon's Blood, which always seems to have this warm, almost pulsing quality to me.

Unlike Alecto (another BPAL outlet for anger), which is a beautiful, elegantly dressed lady whose rage bubbles unnoticed under the surface, Wrath is the fiery, overblown rage of youth. This is a girl (or, possibly, boy) wearing exactly what her mother told her not too, and possessing an anger that she can't explain (and, also, chewing cinnamon chewing-gum). It's that sort of anger that prompts you to throw your mobile phone at the nearest wall and scream just to reach catharsis.

It's highly probable, though, that Wrath will not grow up to become Alecto, however.

I get almost all dragon's blood from this, and it's the kind that turns into a sweet, almost cloying floral scent. It does have just a hint of spice, but the sweetness is overpowering. I fear this is not a scent for me.

This one is a very dry dragon's blood on me. The spice really mellows out the sweetness that I usually get from DBR. This one isn't really bright red, more of a terra cotta- an earthy dusty red. There's not a lot of throw in this one, but it does stick around. It doesn't change much from wet to dry, escept for a slight increase in pepperiness. Thankfully I didn't sneeze! :P

Right now I have so many DB blends and this one is not one that I would find myself thinking of often enough to keep. It is nice, just too reminiscent of some DB LE's (Tell Tale Heart, the Castle in particular) that I already own.