Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
lookingglass

BPAL around the kids

I'd like to know what all the mom's are wearing when they are spending time with the kids.

I didn't wear perfume for a while after my children were born, as their little noses are sensitive and the "mommy" smell aids in bonding. But now that they are older, but I am still with them most of the time, I am looking for scents to wear around them. I think I am a pretty hip mom, and I like to feel dressed and smelling good. I have Dana O'Shee, Hecate and some others comming...Nurturing, but with an edge!

What do the mom's out there wear?

Do you choose scents to help your mood? Energized, nurturing, calming...

Feel free to rant!

I am new to BPAL. A friend from another board got me started and hooked :D My daughter is 10 and loves the Olsen twins perfume :P I have given her Jester from that enabling friend and she loves it! I do try to wear calming, nuturing scents around the kiddo's. I am so scent sensitive, that I just assume they must be too. I save the sexy ones for daddy :D

I have an 8 year old son, who is almost as big a BPAL fan as I am. He loves the eucalyptus scents the most, and has his own imps of Hemlock & Jabberwocky, and was recently gifted his first bottle of BPAL, Loup Garou, by a generous forumite.

He sniffs all of my oils as I test them, and tests many of them on himself. He's gotten so good at indentifying notes that sometimes he blows me away!

I don't wear any special oils when I am around him, he gets them all!

When Sofie was little I wore light fragrances; usually lavender, rose geranium & citrusy blends. I hadn't discovered BPAL until my girl was 6.

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

He's gotten so good at indentifying notes that sometimes he blows me away!

My 3 yr old LOVES to sniff and try to pick out the notes, too! He definately likes foody, chocolate, vanilla, fruity, "yummy" scents.

He was facinated with Zombi and the whole idea of it~a big Scooby-Doo fan :P

My son is 4, and he always notices that I'm wearing perfume - so he likes to grab my hand and put his nose on my wrist to see what it is I'm wearing each day. I've been wearing Midway a lot lately.. and he says it smells like donuts ( it does smell very similar to a Krispy Kreme shop - so I see where he gets that) and he also likes the chocolate scents (13 and Velvet). He also says that Scherezade smells "like Mama" since its what I wear in between my foody scents and is pretty much my favorite BPAL.

He's totally in love with popcorn right now, and I thought of buying a bottle of Shill to wear or use as room scent in my son's room.. but I really can't handle the smell of buttered popcorn all day long!!

My boys don't seem to care what oils I wear--this summer, it was loads of The Dormouse and Dirty, and now we're onto Sugar Skull and Chimera--but their favorite BPAL (for them) is Bliss. Otherwise, they favor orange-based scents, but I haven't found a BPAL orange they really like. (Maybe Blood Orange, but that one's all mine! :P )

Most of the scents that I wear are either fruity, spicy or gourmand. I am not a big fan of heavy florals, resins, dark patchouli, etc., so most of the scents I wear are pretty light and kid-friendly. My kids seem to favor fruity and foody BPAL blends, also. My 7 year old daughter's favorite BPAL blend is Bliss. Whenever I end up with an imp of Bliss, I toss it her way! :P

My three year old son insists on smelling every imp, and he proclaims every one to smell like apples! Except Tezcatlipoca. He smelled that one the other day and proclaimed "It smells like chocolate!" I was impressed! That's a pretty good nose for a little kid.

There is no ONE signature scent that my kids associate with me. They are very aware of my BPAL hobby (obsession?) and know that I have a bunch of bottles and dozens of imps to alternate. Some of their favorites on me are Antique Lace, Dragon's Milk, Morocco and Three Witches.

Most of the scents that I wear are either fruity, spicy or gourmand. 

There is no ONE signature scent that my kids associate with me. 

Me, too...

I have this fantasy that someday DH and kiddos will get a wiff of something wonderful and think "Mom". But there are so many to love! DH jokes that no mattter what I wear, he will always associate me with the smell of toothpaste! :P

Dana O Shee was wonderful for those first few weeks little ickle baby was home. However, now he's older, I have really adopted Snake Oil as my scent for everyday. It stays close to the skin and is sweet enough that my kids like it and spicy enough for me to feel like a sexay momma. I really don't like wearing too much "floral" perfume as it makes the little one sneeze a bit. My two oldest have kind of picked a fave...Morocco. My son or daughter will sit in my lap and just sniff away at the crook of my neck when I am wearing it.

Yeah, I especially love it when my son does it. He snuffles my neck and just sighs and says, "Mommy". I just huggle him so tight. I have to say, I never got this reaction from them with other perfumes I like to wear. It must be because the BPAL I like usually stays close to the skin.

My daughter is 3, and I've never really thought about picking scents with regard to her. But, my tastes are the lighter floral scents, or things that are fruity, sweet, rich foody (esp. now that we are approaching autumn!) so nothing that should irritate a little nose. She likes to sniff my oils too - in the bottle or on me. Whenever I have the hubby smell something, she has to check it out too.

One day, however, I was sitting on my bed perusing my pile of imps, and she said "Put the oil away!" She wanted to play... :P

i don't have children, but if i did, i would feel comfortable wearing Yog Sothoth around them (inappropriate as the name may seem). I've found its a very soft and comforting smell, like freshly washed laundry.

My 3 year old, Arbor, and I made a "Get out of here, monster!" spray this afternoon. He has been having really bad nightmares that he wakes up from screaming, and still dreaming, seeing monsters in his room. We used Dragon's Milk, because of the dragon's blood magical abilities (plus, he loves the show Dragon Booster), and the calming vanilla scent. I made it water soluable by adding a bit of perfumer's alcohol (a T or so), and put it in a 2 oz aluminum spray bottle. Then we made the lable together. We sprayed it all around his room, and some on him, too. He LOVED the smell (it is suprisingly stong...I usually use an imp in 1/8 oz spray for perfume!), and the idea that Momma Dragon magic was keeping him safe. No nightmares at naptime, and none so far!

hehehehe i adore so many blends, and my kids (ages 12,10,5,3) love to have snif fests also. they love my colllection, and i haven't found any that irritate them, my oldest two actually have their own mini bpal collections :P i am trying to teach them that bpal is eons beyond mass produced brittney spears in a bottle....

i love the dragon's milk monster spray, we use dragon's milk as a linen spray and i agree it is comforting

How neat! When I was a kid, there would sometimes be a "mystery flavor" in a pack of candy. That was a ton of fun to try to identify, nibbling off little bits at a time. It was standard practice, too, for kids in my school to close their eyes when they ate Skittles to identify the flavor. I think a lot of kids really enjoy that kind of thing!

Plus, BPAL does sort of have an "every flavor bean" thing going for it. Maybe I'm experiencing a bit of childhood regression when I stockpile these imps. :P

And, hm... for mom... Black Annis! wait... no, that's a bad idea. Heheh, I think the current suggestions have been great. Sudha Segara might be good. And Queen of Clubs might be interesting, too.

My 3 year old, Arbor, and I made a "Get out of here, monster!" spray this afternoon.

That is genius, awesome, and incredibly cute. :P

I wear White Rabbit a lot, and the baby doesn't seem to mind that she winds up smelling of it, as well. :P

My kids are really enjoying Honey Moon and Bliss these days. The littlest one,especially, just looks like he feels so SPECIAL to wear Mommie's perfume...soooo cute.

My 5-year old daughter adores The Unicorn. She often asks to wear it at night to keep the nightmares away. I love the idea of making it into a spray, I'll have to try that.

My 2-year old son has gotten very interested in my new perfume hobby, and always asks to sniff when I've got the imps out. The other day, I was trying out Milk Moon, and he wanted to smell. I held out my wrist and he literally recoiled and said: "Eww! Mommy have an owie?" :D I kind of thought MM wasn't working on me, and now I know for sure! He liked Sacred Whore of Babylon though, takes after his father that way. :P

This is a great thread... I'm looking for a blend to give my sister-in-law. She's due with her first baby any day now, and I think a BPAL scent that's comforting for both mom and baby would be a great gift...

Any suggestions? (She's having a girl if that makes a difference in suggestions)

Sign in to follow this