Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Vicomte de Valmont

Rake, scoundrel, demon in a frock coat. Devilishly seductive, ultimately tragic; a villain undone and redeemed by love. Based on an 18th century gentlemen’s cologne: ambergris, white musk, white sandalwood, Spanish Moss, orange blossom, three mints, jasmine, rose geranium and a spike of rosemary.

In the imp: This is clearly in the cologne family of BPAL scents. I can't really differentiate between this and Wilde.

Wet: This is a lot like generic cologne on my skin.

Drydown and wear: As this dries down, it takes on its own individual character. I can smell ambergris, moss and mint notes. It's a very light and clean fragrance. It's nice, and not offensive on my skin, but it's not something that I'd wear on a regular basis.

this one really does smell like a "cologne", but even better. i also wear dorian, fenris wolf, morocco, snake oil, golden priapus, and aizen myoo, but this is always nice for the traditional masculine scent. i still can't pick out the individual notes. how funny i used to wear drakkar as a high school boy, and now its vicomte de valmont...older and wiser.

To my nose, this is a very traditional cologne scent. However, it has a deep richness to it that you can't buy in a department store. I think it's the moss and mint combination that makes it smell like cologne, but the ambergis and sandalwood make it more interesting.

This smells pretty good on me -- it's a little bit too minty for me personally -- but it smells fantastic on my husband. He has a big bottle of it. I always love it when he wears this one.

Like others have said, this smells very much like a traditional cologne. But in the best way. Masculine and fresh, never sharp. On me, after it dries down, there's the barest hint of sweet fruityness in there. I like it, it 'softens' the overall scent. The sillage is also great, I could smell it even when my arms weren't around my face.

I think I might buy a bottle of this even though it's pretty masculine. It's just too lovely to pass up. I might even finally convert my male friend since he's been looking for a new cologne.

In the imp: Sort of smells like Drakkar Noir

On Skin: Very musky, very masculine. Very manly cologne. Smells like Drakkar Noir or like Axe Phoenix.

On Drydown: Still very similar to wet. Very masculine.

On the boy: On wet, it did sort of smell like DN. When it dried down, it was not like DN at all, but still in that type of cologne. He called it mature and sophisticated. And it appeals to him in the way Old Spice does, but he would never buy Old Spice because his dad uses it. Does that make sense? :P

He enjoys it very much though, and says its a nice change of pace from Wilde. Success!

In the Imp: Men's cologne. It reminds me very strongly of something my partner has worn in the past, but in a good way. It's fresh and manly.

Wet: Much the same, maybe a little softer.

Drydown: Lavender isn't listed but I'm sure I can smell it. I hate lavender. However in this it's very subtle and soft. It's still very much men's cologne but better. Floral with some green, a citrus kick, and some musky woods in the background.

Dry: It's softened a fair bit and is not nearly as cologne-like now, and although it's still masculine I can definitely wear it. I'm finding it very hard to pick out individual notes in this. Sandalwood and ambergris overlayed with musky florals is about the best I can do, with the ambergris starting to dominate. It's not a note I'm overly familiar with, just enough to pick it out, but I probably should investigate it some more as it seems to like me. There's a bit of an airy/aquatic feel to it too.

It has a little bit of soft throw and has average to good last (note that good last for me = 5 hours).

I rather like this. Maybe not enough to wear often as it's a bit too airy/aquatic for me, but I'll be giving the imp to my partner as I have a hunch this is going to be fantastic on him.

Vicomte de Valmont:

Imp: Ugh, this is everything I hate about men's cologne. This is way too strong and acridly musky. Smells like sour aftershave. I can't even stand to put this on, unfortunately...swapping this one.

Edited by lianri

I tried several imps in a row, in the comapny of a skeptical friend who said she's not a fan of strong smells. After two or three, she agreed with me in that Valmont would surely smell this way, and even she liked it.

We both felt it was very fresh, a good scent for the summer. To us it smelt unisex rather than man's cologne. It has nothing to do with other "real" men's scents like Casanova, for example.

My first post!

I am very disappointed. I absolutely love the fresh scent of Vicomte, would probably wear it on a regular basis especially in the summer... however, my skin seems to eat it up. After about half an hour I can't smell a thing. Nothing. No light musk, no soft nothing... it's all gone. It lasts longer in my locket, so maybe I will keep it for wearing that way. ~sigh~

Wet: Musk and mint. Oooooh, this is very promising.

Dry: Musk and jasmine. The jasmine took over the entire blend after about ten minutes, and proceeded to give me a headache. Some of the mint peeked through before I went to wash it off, but it wasn't enough to convince me that this is a blend for me. Sad, too, since it was otherwise quite nice while wet.

In imp: Sandalwood! Mint! Manly cologne!

Wet: Citrus and sandalwood.

Dry: Citrus, with a bit of musk. I got some floral, but it wasn't discernable as rose or jasmine.

This smells just like something my brother wears (Hugo Boss In Motion). I don't want to smell like the stuff my brother sprays on when he thinks he's Mr. Pimp. o_o

Very Similar to CKone or kenneth cole reaction only a little better and more complex. I asked my wife how I smelled and she said just like I always smell. So off to swaps LOL.

My Dearest Ladies of the Forum,

How can you mock me so? To compare me—less than favorably I might add—to the base fragrances of callow youths and two-bit rapscallions. Must you so wound me? I? Who have poured my heart, my soul, my very quintessence, into a cobalt blue cage and entrusted its key to your keeping? What more must I do to please you?

In all this weary world I long for nothing but to touch your bare skin, to kiss your wrists, caress the nape of your neck, to bury myself in the heady pleasure of your bosom. And if, as you so cruelly insist, I am so bourgeois and commonplace, transform me then, with the heat of your body. And I shall rise anew like a phoenix, your golden Adonis, and fall like rose petals at my Venus's feet.

I remain, your most ardent servant,

Valmont

And so it is with our good Vicomte who will tell you all the pretty lies you wish to hear.

The fragrance? Masculine, certainly. I really can't imagine a woman wearing this scent. Of course, I don't wish to discourage you. By all means, try it, ladies. Still, I really do think this is more a scent for the gentlemen among us.

So many have said that it reminds them of commercial men's cologne, whether for good or for ill. There are similarities, to be sure, and that's to be expected. The description itself says this is based on a classic men's cologne. Surely, those perfume companies don't live entirely in a bubble of their own monomania? They must, to a certain degree, borrow from the traditions and learning of perfumers of the past. If our good Lady Beth is drawing from the same inspiration, they are likely to be comparable.

That said, there is really nothing cheap about this fragrance. It is deep, more sophisticated than Villain, but with a certain austerity. Feigned passion. It's a very... cynical... fragrance. There is air against the stature, and there is transcending it all a certain aloofness. It's a well named fragrance and a charming, seductive scent for men.

Viscomte de Valmont Haiku,

Lie with me Mistress.

In all of France none can say

I do not lie well.

This is very much a MEN'S fragrance -- it's true, it smells similar to many standard-issue men's scents. My boyfriend compared it to Lynx shower gel. That being said, it is very good, and makes him smell like a sexy bastard.

The one note that I can pick out with confidence is ambergris, which I love. The others all meld right into the blend.

Probably not a bottle purchase, but I'm sure he won't object to using the imp! :P

OMG!!! This is essentially a richer, less chemical version of Drak'kar. Since my natural scent is in the right range, it creates that pheremonal scent that tells me I should be running hands and lips over the man who smells that way. A little hard to take under the weight of my enforced celibacy, but no way am I letting go the bottle.

In the vial:

Interesting. Deep and dark.

Wet:

A mans cologne for sure. Which good as I'm a man lol. A bit strong though. Not too unlike many male scents on the market. I'm smelling the rosemary a lot but for some reason it's going more sour.

Dry:

Wow, this one fades quick. It's still there but not nearly as strong as when wet. I'm still getting something sour and very bitter. It's taking away from the sweetness. Normally I try to shy away from sweet scents as my body has a tendency to only let them through but with this one it's the opposite.

Later:

Not so bitter now (thankfully). Actually it's reached a nice balance. I still cant really pick out anything but my first inclination to it being a men's scent is still true.

This isn't bad. I think I'll get a bottle for my Step Dad. Not sure about me though.

Wow, sexy and masculine - sharp and otherwise hard to describe. I don't think I could call it woody or clean or ozoney. It's kind of all of those things. It makes me think of those Axe body sprays - it has a sort of generic smell to it, but not in a bad way (honestly!). I definitely would not mind if my husband decided to wear this one :P

imp: sharp men's cologne.

wet: quite sharp, very aquatic. this is relaly not for me but it would be great on the right guy.

dry: still sharp and nose-grabbing. kind of like and amped-up irish spring.

At first sniff, it smells very herbal and mossy, but once it settles and dries, aquatic and masculine floral notes come out and take charge, with that green herbal/mossy tone making its place in the background to accent things and mix with the aqua. It sort of reminds me of Armani "Mania" (a favorite men's cologne of mine to wear) except on me, more delicate toned. Almost a tad bit sweet (every BPAL I've tried so far except pele ends up having at least a hint if not fully noticeable sweetness) I think I found my new favorite men's cologne for those days when I feel like reveling in my masculine side. This one may become a bottle once the imp has run out.

wow this is certainly a man's scent. it really smells like men's cologne, but i don't think i want to sniff it on my man, it reminds me too much of something store bought.

In the bottle: Definitely gentlemanly. Clean, brisk, and yummy.

Wet: Freshly showered, but not in the bad neroli-turned-soapy sort of way. Pretty light. I can't really distinguish many individual scents, the orange blossom maybe, and some mintiness in the background. This is really nice. Note: this smells TOTALLY DIFFERENT on a man. Crazy! Much yummier. Muskier, I can smell the florals, less overwhelmingly shower-clean as it is on me. It's warmer and more complex on a man. Delicious. Insanely so. I really can't stop sniffing.

Dry: Stays the same on me after time, just a bit lighter, and muskier perhaps. On my bf, it stays similar to how it first was on him, but the throw doesn't seem to be all that strong - SIGH.

Summary: This one is not for me, as I like more distinctly feminine scents. But I can see how it could be unisex, though I do find it a tad on the masculine side. On my bf, it's simply amazing (sexy, clean, delicious, warm, musky all at once), I should buy him 10 bottles! It'd be worth it even if I have to slather it on him to get it to last.

Expectations: This could go well or very very badly. Musks are questionable on me, although white tends to do better, and I'm not crazy about mossy scents. Sandalwood, orange blossom, and rose geranium are all okay. Jasmine's usually ok, but not necessarily a preferred scent. Ambergris? Ew. Mints sometimes smell ok but often feel unpleasant on my skin, and I have bad associations with rosemary although the smell isn't always offensive to me. So basically I don't expect to love this but it might not be terrible.

In vial: Musky floral. A very traditional cologne smell. I can't really pick out specific notes at this point.

On skin, wet: *wrinkles nose* This is probably not too bad for normal wear, but trying to identify individual notes is unpleasant. I think the jasmine and rose geranium are pretty strong now. Despite the florals, it's a very masculine smell to me.

On skin, dry: Still masculine. Reminds me of my grandfather for some reason.

After time: The scent was staying pretty much the same and suddenly at 30 minutes everything went away except a huge whiff of orange blossom. So much for the masculine smell. Now it reminds me of some child's body spray. After another 30 minutes, the scent is very faint but still predominantly orange.

Conclusion: Once this changes to orange, it smells pretty good on me. It fades so fast though, and reapplying would force me to go through the icky men's cologne stage repeatedly. I might keep it around for a while and try it again later.

Men's aftershave. I love this, although it smells a bit of cheesy pick-up lines. It starts fading pretty quickly unfortunately, but still smells very nice.

There's no "unisex" about Valmont. It's all cologne. Very light and clean, but with a crisp muskiness from the ambergris and white musk. Very much a classic, traditional men's scent. It's not as herbal as you might think, which is a bit disappointing. For example, I can't pick out the mint at all. It's really quite aquatic.

As it dries, the aquatic quality fades a bit and lets more of the individual notes stand out. The moss is quite strong on my skin. I can probably smell the mints, but they're contributing to the cool cologne quality, and not calling attention to themselves. I can find just a hint of orange blossom and rosemary.

The throw is quite good.

In The Bottle

Smells exactly like Davidhoff Cool Water in the imp - fresh with a bubblegum base.

On Application

Cologney warm lavender and aromatic herbs :P

Dry Down

This is beautiful and sensually masculine. Still very much like Cool Water which I like but has a more sophisticated edge as it dries down further. The lavender pops up to say hello every now and then and then pulls it's head back in. This is a stunner and perfect for summer.

Rating (0-5)