Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Goreygalx

Lady MacBeth

The essence of ambition, covetousness and manipulation: sweet Bordeaux wine, blood red currant, thyme and wild berries.

When I first got it, I really did not like the scent. I didn't realize I'd get something so very sweet and fruity. I think I even thought it smelled waxy.

I've had a slight change of heart since then.
I don't wear this one often (I'm more of a woodsy/spicy person). I choose to wear it on days that I'm feeling particularly bright and cheery and it makes me feel even more so.

Good things about the scent: 1) my boyfriend said that he wanted to eat me because I smelled so sweet (ha!) 2) I put this on at 11.30 am and it's now 12.47 am and I can STILL smell it.

This was on my wishlist for so long that by the time I finally got an imp I had forgotten what was in it. Wet on my skin this reminded me of gum - is that mint? No, wait - is it orange? Well whatever it is I like it. It's unique. I read the description again and I'm not sure what was giving this the gum smell in the beginning. Now this has settled into a mild berry mix. This isn't too sweet, too foody, too young - it's simply mixed berries. I think I prefer the straight strawberry of Jester, but this is still great.

I was really looking forward to trying this, but unfortunately it *really* didn't work on me. Nice sweet berries but mixed with something really sharp smelling. I ended up with a bad headache and had to wash it off. :P I'm thinking maybe currants don't like me?

fruity red wine is most noticeable. it’s a bit of a cough syrup scent at first, but as it dries, it mellows and the other notes come forward. the sweet berries and herbal thyme are a nice contrast. not too sweet and not too sharp. well-balanced. and there’s something sexy about it without being a super-girly or over-the-top “take me now!” kind of scent. a restrained sexy :P

Bottle: A sharp, crisp burgandy smell. The wine comes out with just little of the berry.

Application: It changes almost instantly from the crisp wine scent to more of a fruity scent. The wine fades and the berries come out a little more.

Dry: The currant mixes well with the berries and dampens the sweetness enough to make it a warm red scent. It's still fruity, but not as fruity as it was when I first put it on.

I didn't put that much on, since I was testing to make sure I wasn't allergic, but it still lasted a really long time. That being said, I really like it. I'm glad I decided on this one to be my first scent to try. This is one I'd definitely buy a bottle of. I love foody/fruity scents.

In bottle: bubblegum.

Wet: fruity bubblegum with a background of herbs

Dry: definitely bubblegum

Later: Turns into nicely sharp fuitiness, but is very faint at two hours.

Summary: I like the mature scent but need to try it with a scent locket or with slathered and see if it lasts better. :P

Lots of berries, but grown-up berries, not sweet innocent ones. I'm surprised that I like a berry scent this much because usually berry scents smell like shower gel to me (thanks to using too many sweet berry-scented shower gels, I'd wager). The wine gives it a nice dryness that keeps it from being too sweet.

I think it's a great scent.

Initially grape and berries, very fruity. Grape quickly mellows into wine, and becomes the most lovely sweet red wine with berry accents. No ugly stages with this but unfortunately wears off very quickly.

DISCLAIMINER: None of the ingredients in this perfume, barring currant, agree with me at all. my review is biased accordingly.

In the imp, this smells like red wine and thyme.

On my skin, it's /very/ fruity -- sweet currants and berries, with an undercurrent of rich red alcohol. I was surprised at how sweet and fruity it was, given its namesake. Although I like currant, it was just too berry-y for me.

Ten minutes later, it's basically all red wine. Have you ever put the cork of a bottle of red wine to your nose and sniffed it? That slightly dry, wine-y scent? imagine someone had opened a bottle of raspberry juice in the room, and there you have Lady Macbeth.

I'm sure this is lovely and deep and sexy on someone. On me it just smells like I've been indulging in very expensive vino.

This is very sweet wine and berries on me. It's surprisingly cheerful for a something based on Lady Macbeth. Very nice.

It’s not listed but there seems to be some very fruity notes – it reminds me of a more floral version of The Snow Maiden. I definitely get the spiciness of the ginger coming through and the general watery-floral feel of this fragrance but am captivated by the fruitiness. Definitely a chilly scent. Half an hour or so later I get the muguet/gardenia. It reminds me ever so faintly of Pele, and upon drydown this only increases.

i was surprised that this scent turned out so fruity. i would expect a more mature smell, but this smelled like fruity gummy drops on me - didn't get much of the other notes, it's all gumdrops and fruit juice all the way!

it is not too bad, i rather like it, but just not what i'd imagine lady macbeth to smell like. it is also quite strong, my mom walked past my room (after i'd applied it while changing to to out) and asked me why my room smelled so much like berries. heh.

Edited by spelmermaid

In bottle: Fruit and spice, predominantly cinnamon.

On skin: Mmmmm. Warm mulled wine, with a hint of berry. This is the spicy-wine scent that I had hoped Madrid would be. It's absolutely lovely - purple and sweet and spicy. I'm definitely keeping this one- I'll pull it out again in the autumn and winter. This is a scent that will warm me up.

I'm so glad the red wine doesn't really come through in this scent, because reds, even sweet reds like Bordeaux, give me massive headaches.

To me, it smells like the seduction of power. There's a hint of that fake berry smell of black cherry candles, but it's sweet without being waxy and cloying and blends with the stronger scent of deep red currants and just a touch of spice. Honestly? I used to love this one, but it seems that all red chunky fruit scents (incl. Bloody Mary) are turning into berry-scented air freshener on me lately.

First thought: zOMG! CIRCUS PEANUTS!! That's what this smells like, those orange marshmellow-y peanut things! YAY!!

Wet: Oh, see, now I get berries, nice. And a little bit of.. orange? *confused* No, that's the currant.

Dry: Sweet gods! This is LOVELY! The wine warms up on my skin and just intoxicates.

I must have a bottle.

In the imp, this is a sugared red wine - I can smell that very high alcohol top note, and I love it!

On me, it's still high and sharp, but not as distinctively... alcoholic. Just a sharp, sweet berry. I don't usually smell in colors very well, but this is very distinctly pinkish-red. Delicious!

Oh how I love Lady Macbeth! I've worn her the last 3 days straight (and what do you know? I got her 3 days ago!!)

When I first opened the imp & had a whiff I was in sweetness heaven, so much more so when I wear it... oh how it smells like lollies!! (Someone said nerds & I tend to agree)

I love it, I love it, I love it. I need a bottle, or 10.

In The Vial: Juicy fruits! Mmm, there's something in there that is going to EXPLODE in your mouth when you bite down. Currant, I think.

On Wet: Spilled wine and berries. Take the Ameretto from Bordello, change the wine, and add berries -- and you have Lady MacBeth. Juicy and fruity in a way that Bordello just isn't.

On Dry: The wine note fades into a background booziness (which still remains constant), but is there all the same. The currants definitely own this scent, bolstered by the berries. i never really get the thyme at all, which is fine by me.

Man, I'm not sure about buying Bordello or Lady MacBeth first. They're both such good scents, but very similar bases...

Wet, I loved this. It smelled like cherries and berries and all those juicy things I love.

Unfortunately, as soon as it dried, it turned to pink chapstick on me.

I had such high hopes for this one, too... :P

I bought this on a whim with no interest in the notes or Lady MacBeth herself, and without having read the reviews. Clearly, this scent and I were destined for each other because I absolutely adore it.

In the imp and on my skin all I can smell is wine and berries. The wine doesn't have the "I've been chillin' in a bar" boozy quality that a lot of the alcoholic notes do; this is more how a vineyard would smell where they create the most expensive, upscale wines for royalty. The berries are dark, sultry, and reminiscent of dark purple or burgundy velvet.

This is one of the times where I fully understand what people mean when they something is well blended. Smelling this in the imp, wet, or dry is like smelling a swirling glass of expensive red wine with black berries in it.

In the imp: Boozy wine and berries.

On Skin: Boozy sweet wine with a touch of berries. I smell like a drunken raisin.

On Drydown: Actually, I think I smell more like a craisin. :P

After an hour: It calms down to a softer, milder red wine with berries swirled into it. Much more sophisticated.

Verdict: This blends starts ultra sweet on me and ends up as a sophisticated wine drinker. Perhaps it was too ambitious at the beginning? :D

In the imp: grape bubblegum. Very purple smell.

On me: Less bubblegum, more Welch's grape juice. There's a bit of wine smell, but it's more like crushed grapes on their way to being wine than a bottled wine. As it dries, it loses a bit of the grape and gets a hint of something almost floral but very pleasant. Still, it's a very sweet smell, very fruity and juicy. Plus, it lasts a long time. I couldn't stop smelling my wrist all day.

In the imp: Tart yet sweet berries, almost medicinal but not in a bad way. Lollies! (or if you prefer - candy!).

Wet: Sweet wet berries and blackcurrant.

Drydown: The wine emerges - a slightly dry red wine. It doesn't smell like lollies so much now, it's a little more grown up. As it dries more the sweetness definitely dies right down. It's still sweet mind you, but not as much. And now it's starting to throw like crazy! The throw is sweeter than the skin scent, it has a cherry lolly hint to it. I don't mind, I like cherry - it just doesn't always like me!

Dry: Oh there's the thyme. Very subdued and only apparent if I press my nose to my wrist. It's definitely not as sweet now, much more mellow and smooth. But still that cherry lolly sweet in the throw. I do love how often things smell different on my skin than in the throw. Usually I prefer the throw scent, but in this case I prefer the skin.

I do rather like this, but I'm not sure I'll actually reach for it that often seeing that I adore Bordello with it's added depth and richness (not to mention my beloved plum).

ETA:

Unfortunately after a couple of hours or so it once again sweetens up, and also becomes somewhat sickly. So much so I had to wash it off. Oh well.... I still have my Bordello!

Edited by Trishek