Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Superconscious :: Frivolity :: Knowledge
Instruction :: Study :: The Life Principle
The Intellect :: Optimism :: Dexterity :: Theorizing
Persuasion :: Glibness :: Visualization
Concentration :: Travel :: Investigation :: Analysis
Gossip :: Freedom

I know that this supposedly has some lavender but all it did was give me a big migraine like headache. Very heady and I had to immediately wash it off my wrist.

I do like the description of the elemental and wish I could wear this!

Not for me.

Glad I got to try this in imp form!

:P Just not for me. A little strong on the outset, but did not blend well with my chemistry. Well, onward, still lots more to try!

On first application this strikes me as aquatic, but it soon reveals itself to be lavender. My nose is funny. The blend is bright and a little soapy, but I don't get the citrus notes others have described. There's some herbal notes, but I'm not able to pick them out. This is a really calming type of scent, but I don't think it's for me.

In the bottle: Powerful lavender and mint - oof, eye-watering! I actually got menthol in the back of my throat by sniffing it too hard!

Wet: The same lavender and mint, very slightly toned down. It's making me cough! Unbeliveably invasive smell, it gets everywhere, ick!

Drydown: It softens, thank goodness! ... into an unpleasant citrus scent. Oh ick! So that's obnoxious lavender and mint that turn into some kind of ozony orange, with a metallic tang.

Overall: I get how it smells like the element Air, because mint and lavender really do represent it well. However, it's awfully unpleasant and invasive, even the smallest sniff has me keeling over. Definitely not something I ever want to smell again! I have seldom felt this ill and distressed when smelling a BPAL blend.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Lavender!

Preconceived notions: I hear (see?) tell of lavender, and knowing my skin as I do, I suspect this'll end up as a purely lavender scent.

In the imp: Lavender and citrus. Maybe lemon?

On skin, wet: Ew, lavender. I really, really dislike lavender. I especially dislike lavender with something citrus.

On skin, dry: This smells... horrible. My skin does such icky things with lavender. Dirty diapers and mouldy lemons.

Conclusion: Lavender and citrus do not a happy scent on my skin make. As much as I do dislike lavender, it does do good things when I have a migraine headache, so I'll keep the decant (thank you, SeaMonkey!) for such occasions, and use my scent locket to keep it away from my skin.

Sylph - This is the only one of the elementals (so far) that I remotely like. Initially, it’s a pleasant herbal and citrus. The citrus seems to be bergamot, but I could be wrong. As it dries, it gains an undertone of something soapy. It sticks close to my skin, but still manages to give me a headache. Yet another one for the swap pile.

My first impression was a good one.. it was aquatic, but it soon becomes a soapy, herbally lavender. I don't get any citrus notes at all, it simply turns into a bit of an 'old lady' perfume. A shame, I really wanted to like the elementals.

Imp: This is like ozone and citrus. I can't pick out the lavendar everyone else can underneath the ozone smell.

Wet: Still harsh and wierd. A bit like Hurricane but without the vetivert and harsh darkness. Slightly unpleasant to me.

Dry: It smells like Yggdrasil's sweetness and natural skin scent. It's nice in it's own way, but not so great on my skin.

Category: Ozone/Air

Rating: 1/5; not my skin's best friend.

Overall: The throw was decent enough. I won't wear this due to the reaction on my skin. Oh well. Purely airy scents don't work on me. Maybe my airy personality is just enough stormy air in my life. :P Smokey scents aren't so bad, though.

In Bottle: Lavendar

On Skin: Very strong lavendar, this is a sleepy time blend for me. I feel instantly relaxed with the first sniff. There is also something bright which peeks out at just the right moment causing me to wake up. Citrus? It’s not a tart lemon, I’m thinking it may be grapefruit. Very juicy and slightly sweet. There is also something green, mint perhaps? I think this is a pretty scent and it is one of the first elementals to work on me. I would love to use it as a room scent. The throw is very strong and it has a fairly long wearlength as well.

First sniff: Sylph is a beautiful, pale green, floaty scent with a tiny-bit-minty aftertaste. It’s quite subtle.

Wearing: It’s quite a bit mintier on me, and still decidedly green.

This starts out very sharp---a mixture of strong lavender and herbs. In this stage it smells similar to Somnus to me. It has that slightly medicinal, acrid smell. Not unpleasant at all, but it does feel more like a relaxing sleep inducing blend than a cosmetic fragrance.

As it dries it becomes less sharp and much more powdery. It has a softer scent, something perhaps creamier? I almost want to say vanilla but I'm not sure. It is a little bit sweet too. Very nice. The lavender has calmed down and is much more appealing.

I'm glad that the sharp stage only lasts a few minutes, but even if it stayed like that I would still enjoy it as a nightime aromatherapy blend. It's much prettier when it's dry though. The throw isn't very strong, and it only lasts on me for two hours tops. Not a problem though b/c I like reapplying alot anyways.

In the bottle, the lavender hit so strong that it was about all I could smell for a moment... I detected a faint sniff of something that reminded me slightly of Lemongrass...

When this was on, all kinds of citrusy and herbal notes decided to come out and play with the lavender, which was all fun and games... until...

After drydown, this turned very soapy and powdery on me... The citrus disappeared pretty much completely within 15 minutes, and left a fresh herbal scent intermingling with the soapiness... Almost like men's aftershave or something.

I would think this would be a great blend for the guys, but it was a bit too masculine for me afer drying...

This is a very airy scent. I find that it has a note in common with Szepasszony and I think it's the dandelion. It smells sharp and moving and a bit like Szepasszony.

Interesting.

In the bottle - Lemon verbena and evergreen. I'm not catching the lavender that everyone smells yet.

Wet - Very, very herby.

Drying - Gotta be evergreen in here, it's giving me that almost minty herb scent. And I -think- some of the herb might be saffron, as I'm getting that spiced herbal scent. I'm getting a very, very minor lavender in there and the citrus of the verbena is all gone under the evergreen. Ah, my skin, amping some notes to high heaven!

Dry (2 hours) - This has become a rather boring light lavender with a touch of a dry herb. Light and pure and.. well, boring.

Overall - No, not for me. I think this would be much more suited to someone with a different skin chemistry and a more sensitive nose.

Okay, trying VERY hard to LOVE this one. I always like lavendar, but this has something else going on. The first time I tried it, I had to wash it off. My eye balls were burning, and it gave me that queazy feeling that Lampades did. So NOT what I was expecting!! I tried it again today, not a BAD smell, but very biting. As a migrainer, this one needs to be used cautiously. I do smell the citrus, and also a faint lavendar, but then the old lady lily ruins the initial like-able-ness of this one. I agree with the generic Mc Donald's handsoap smell-so right on! :cry: Also a bit of ozone, not great for us blood vessel challenged types! It smells VERY Slyph from a wet angle, and very BARF when it wafts in the dry stage. I will probably keep trying it because of what it is - until I get a wicked migraine from it eventually, along with the ILL association. I'm sticking with Yvaine & Pontia for my lavendar fix. Poor Slyphy!! :cry2:

I've had this decant for a looooong time, and I'm just now getting around to writing a review for it. I've tried it a couple of times, but I've never worn it.

To me it smells like a very calming, relaxing scent. There's a distinctly soapy quality to it, but it's rather pleasant. It's herby and smells light purple. I looked at all the other reviews and most of them mention lavender, so yeah, I guess that's probably what it is. Never got a big blast of it, though, and generally lavender is pretty obnoxious on me. Of course, this oil is probably 4 years old at this point, so it has probably changed somewhat.

This isn't a scent I'd wear, but I like it fine.

Edited by filigree_shadow