Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Midway

A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

I've wanted to try this scent for years and finally found a bottle of Midway Resurrected last week.

Wet: Vanilla, cotton candy, slightly plastic-y caramel. It reminds me of a cross between Mouse Circus and Boo in this stage - both scents that I don't mind, but they're not quite what I'm looking for.

Dry: The plastic scent is gone, thankfully. Now this reminds me of a more foodie version of Antique Lace, which is my favorite BPAL scent so I can't really describe how happy I am, especially because my only bottle of Antique Lace is about 3/4 empty at this point. The throw is quite a bit lighter for this one though. I can detect a little bit of the apple, but barely. (Not complaining - I hate apple scents.) I am sooo glad I found this :lovestruck:

Oh Midway....how I cherish my bottle. I can't describe it very well - sweet fair-food at it's very best. Last all day. I heart it.

Cotton candy, Funnel Cake, and Caramel Apple are what stand out most to me in this blend. It's a really lovely scent if you enjoy the smell of a Carnival's Midway! It's a great scent for summer.

(For the Resurrected version)

Wet: You know at the fair when you're walking down Fried Food and Diabetes Alley? Yep. That, in a bottle. A little bit of cotton candy, a little bit of fried dough, some overall sugary sweetness, and a whole lot of mouth watering.

Dry: Mostly cotton candy, with a hint of funnel cakes. Divine.

Edited by donkehpoo

(Resurrected)

Wet: ...Sweet plastic. How. Maybe it's the salt water taffy. Based on other reviews I'm glad to know it's not just me.
On: As it dries the plastic disappears (thankfully) but so did the rest of the scent. I don't know what happened but my skin just ate this up, so I layered it with some more. This time I can smell the caramel, cotton candy and apple emerging. As it morphs more, a hint of cake and vanilla (the way BPAL Single Note Vanilla gets that beautiful perfume vibe on me). It's a really enjoyable and a quite lovely foodie. Initially low throw but as it dries the throw improves too and becomes quite strong. I however, unfortunately still get a sinister hint of plastic in the background, sadly (although at this point it even gives me salt vibes).

Dry down: Lovely French Vanilla with caramel. I can still smell it a few hours later. The plastic seems to have mostly dissipated.

I still smell Midway a few hours later close to my skin.

I don't think I can get over the initial weird chem going on at the start though, so it's love but ill-fated 💔

I had a bottle of original Midway once upon a time and swapped it away but just received a decant as a freebie and I'm quite taken by it.

Part of my brain did interpret it as teetering on the edge of plastic at first, but that went away. It is a very very quiet scent on me, I am not getting buttered popcorn, thankfully (some people have reported a greasy smell), but I'm getting a mildly sweet scent with an edge of salt that just gives it enough character to get by me (not a foodie). Based on the notes, I'm guessing I'm getting funnel cake and salt water taffy. It's not cloyingly sweet as cotton candy can be on me and thankfully not getting any apple (not one of my favorite notes). My 4 year old likes it and when asked what it smells like, declared "pancakes!" Although I generally shy away from BPAL's foodie scents (wary of the spices on my skin, for one, and my preferences are really towards non-foodie for the most part), I am quite entranced by this today. 

Edited by Seajewel

Thankful I have a partial imp of this to test, but I know already that I have to start a bottle hunt. I love carnival themed scents the most and this definitely does not disappoint.

On me, it's faint apples and funnel cake with a hint of popcorn. Some vanilla comes through when dry. This is just beautiful and a perfect blend of carnival foods.

I expected it, but the wear and throw are pretty disappointing. I've heard this fares a lot better in lockets.

Midway! Where do I even begin with Midway? This scent is one of my all time favorites. It's the best carnival scent I've ever tried, and one of the best BPALs in general. Definitely in my top 10 if not my top 5. Probably top 5. When I say I love this, I realllly love this.

Both the 2005 and 2007 versions are fantastic. I have half imps of both, plus recently acquired a bottle of the 2007. You can't go wrong with either.

Midway is perfect. Cotton candy goodness with sugary, doughy funnel cake, salt water taffy, and some caramel apples for good measure. This is super foody and sweet. It's definitely one of the sweeter BPAL's I've tried (even for me, who loves gourmands!) but isn't quite as cavity inducing as the sugar note in Sticky Pillowcase. That's not to say this isn't sugary though! It's so well blended, that at least on my skin, no single note overpowers the rest. Throughout it's wear, sometimes the cotton candy comes to the forefront, other times it's the funnel cake or the taffy. I don't really have any fair related nostalgia but this scent is super comforting and gorgeous.

If I had to complain about one thing, it would be that I wish it had better longevity. Really I just want Midway to last all day on me. I wouldn't mind smelling like this forever.

I love it. I never want to be without it in my life. This is the HG of all HGs of carnival scents for me in both its incarnations. I can't recommend Midway enough.

Edited by Kanra

Got a 2005 bottle! 

I really love this. It smells to me like beach boardwalk salt water taffy but not overly sweet, actually sort of buttery. I think that could be a bit of the funnel cake. I really get a sense of place with this. But not carnival! Definitely beach boardwalk in the height of summer. The hot, salty air, sweet taffy+ buttery fried food,  and slightly coconut smell of sunscreen is even in there (could be hallucinating that but I don't care). I can almost hear the waves and sea gulls. Zero apple and cotton candy and I don't miss it. This is one of my favorites!

I'm reviewing the resurrected version! For some reason this smells like chocolate or coconut to me? It's got a hint of a marshmallow note as well? It smells like delicious, chewy, caramelly chocolate and buttery funnel cake scent with sweet, soft wisps of cotton candy and a tang of salt from the taffy. It's sugary and delicious! It's not very strong but I keep getting wisps of it as I'm moving around and it's gorgeous! I can't really tell what I'm smelling anymore after it dries. It kind of just smells like coconut butter and chocolate and not much else. I'm sad about it since I want to love it so much but it really smells like nothing special.