Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Eve-

The spirit of temptation, the essence of lost innocence. Apple blossom, rose, ylang ylang and golden honey.

In Bottle: Bright pale aggressive floral and I can smell the honey.

Wet: The rose lights up.

Dry: I like the honey, but the rose is a little too much for me in this one.

Overall: Not for me.

This one smelled really (almost too) sweet in the bottle and when I first put it on. Once it dried though, it smelled like a honeyed rose. Later picked up on the ylang ylang more and something that smelled like a really clean, uncloying jasmine --- maybe that is the apple blossom? Several hours after putting it on, it is just a really sweet skin smell on me, if that makes any sense at all. Quite yummy.

Edited by Shollin

In the imp: Rosey smell

On Skin: Still rosey.

On Drydown: I get hints of the apple blossom, and the rose is much sweeter. I think the apple blossom and the ylang ylang keep the rose from dominating everything entirely... but it's still pretty rose-heavy.

If I sniff long and hard, I get a whiff of something "green".

Verdict: It's a pretty scent and while I'm not a rose-fanatic, this is a light rose to be enjoyed. There is something very feminine about this without being overtly sexual.

This imp's been sitting around for a bit and I decided to give it a spin today...so glad I did because it's so pretty! At first it's just rose (very much like Black Rose on me, oddly enough), but now the honey's coming out and I keep wondering what smells so good and realizing that it's me. Gorgeous! I may put this away and try it again in the spring as it's a little light for winter, but it's definitely a keeper.

Initial impression: I had to double-check the list of notes on this one. Like Lanet, in an earlier review, my nose was smelling "lilac". Not the big, wild, purple ones my momma use to grow, but the white ones from my gramma's yard. Weird. I guess my nose is taking the apple blossom/rose/ylang-ylang triumverate and making it LILAC. Go figger. :P

Wearing: This just says "springtime" to me....even in November. :D It's very fresh, very lush and "green" sort of scent. Wearing it, I DO get the roses, rather than the lilac scent, nice pretty roses, and the ylang-ylang isn't doing the nasty with my chemistry, which sometimes takes ylang-ylang and interprets it as a slightly rank and rotting smell. Not nice. This also doesn't go all Dial Soap on me, which sometimes happens with florals and me. On the negative side, however, I don't get any honey, which I LOVE. Wah.

Verdict: This is light and pretty.....perhaps too much so for my tastes. Nuthin' wrong with it, just not something I picture myself wearing very often. If I'd gotten more "honey" with this, it might have grounded it in a way that appealed to me more......I may use this as room/linen spray. Or, come to think of it, I may use my impies to layer with more heavily honey-oriented scents (Honey Moon and O come to mind) and see how that appeals to me.

I'm praying that the apple and honey are the dominant notes here rather than the rose. *sniff* Hmm...I'm getting kind of a honey-rose wine out of this - the wine I guess is the apple somehow. Pretty.

I thought I smelled jasmine more than anything in this. Then I looked up what else was in it and there's no jasmine listed. I think it's the ylang ylang and apple blossom doing it.

It smells a lot like what jasmine does on my skin. A sort of sharp bathroom cleaner smell which begins to rot like decaying flowers.

Apple blossom hates me. This smells so piercingly sharp and bad on me. As it dries down, it smells like rotting flowers with sharp powdery jasmine, and a tiny bit of rose underneath. At least I don't have to be indecisive about putting this one into my swap pile.

In vial: honey and ylang ylang. the honey has a sharp quality to it.

On skin: paint fumes :P Still tons of honey, but there's a chemical quality to this.

drydown, 10 minutes: the paint fumes have gone, and now i'm getting something like a white cake with florals on top. Definitely a baking vanilla cake note going on here. Tons of ylang ylang with it, and a bit of apple blossom.

An hour later, this has a lovely floral note to it, but there's something off. There's a fake vanilla scent here, like artificial vanilla extract, that's keeping this from being beautiful. The florals are nice, though.

The rose is the dominant note in this from start to finish. However, it isn't exactly agressive or in your face, it's just central. It's a lovely rose, but I can't decide if it's a little too strong for me. However, I can smell the other components very clearly and I love them all. I wish the honey was just a tad stronger, but I do love the ylang ylang and the light fruitiness of the apple blossoms. It's pretty, but it's not one that I think I would wear a lot, which is unfortunate. It's just not my type of scent.

This scent is gorgeous. I can detect the apple, the rose, and the honey, and the ylang ylang buoys it all in a flowing wave of scent.

At first, this is a very juicy scent, but after a few minutes, it dries down and becomes more subtle. The apple fades away; the ylang ylang grows more prominent. The scent goes from being reddish-gold to a deep reddish magenta. This isn’t bad, but I am disappointed; I really liked the first stage.

As an evocation of Eve, however, this transition works wonderously. At first, there’s the gorgeousness of Eden, lush with fruit and splendor; then it fades, and what remains behind is darker and sexier.

Time passes. The honey is completely gone, but the apple has slowly worked its way back into existence, and the apple combined with the ylang ylang is a low, voluptuous, sensual smell. It has a medium throw and decent staying power. I like this.

Rose, rose rose. With a touch of something spicy and slightly green.

But did I mention the rose?

I'm a fan of roses in small doses, so I'll only be busting this scent out once in a while.

For the record, this imp has one of the old logos on the label, so I'm assuming it's pretty thoroughly aged.

In the imp: sweet, soapy floral with the slightest hint of apple.

On me: Rose. A very classic dried rose or perfume rose rather than the fruity rose of, say, Rose Cross or Blood Rose. There's what I assume is the apple blossom, which as someone previously noted is somewhat like a very tame jasmine. There's a touch of honey at the back, but it's not very sweet.

I'm not bowled over by this, but it might make an interesting costume or room scent. It has a kind of "vintage" feel to me.

In the bottle: Mainly rose, with ylang ylang lurking underneath so you can just catch glimpses of it.

Wet: Rose with a hint of ylang ylang for a split second, and then only rose.

Drydown: Pure rose.

Summary: Rose, rose rose. It would be nice if the ylang ylang had stuck around, and maybe the honey and apple blossom could have come out to play. :P Chalk it up to body chemistry.

ETA: I tried again, this time slathering it on - and I got much more ylang ylang, as well as a hint of the apple blossom and honey... until the rose took over again. And the rose was dominant the whole way through. But this would be nice for people who like rose and find it doesn't take over - sweet and rosey.

Edited by dzurlady

Rose. Rose rose rose. Up close to the skin: rose. The throw: rose.

Don't get me wrong, I like rose, especially BPAL's rose. But I bought this one for the honey. I'm not getting one other note than the rose. My skin, it loves the rose. Hopefully by the end of the day I will be able to smell a little bit of the other notes.

From the vial and directly on my skin this is pure soap. Soap in the best possible way I might add as normally I vehemently hate soapy scents.

I have no idea what apple blossom smells like so I'm guessing it's the other floral than the rose and ylang ylang.

I'm practically hammered on the head with florals during the wet stage and let me say that it has one of the most beautiful rose note I have ever sniffed. The Lab has taught me that roses are not evil after all, with all their rosie goodies.

There is an underlying juicy almost lime-like note lurking backstage. A milky creamy aura surrounds the entire scent, maybe this is the ylang ylang and the honey together.

For a honey scent it's really not that sweet. I usually can't handle honey since it tends to overpower everything else. This is a lovely honey.

Soapy sweet rose is amplifying on the drydown. Then fading and fading till it is no more.

Strange that everything about Eve is everything I would have thought couldn't work on me but it does.

In bottle: sweet and light with a touch of something more like a classic perfume sharp floral

Wet: Jasmine or ylang ylang, rose (a light teaish one, not a big heavy cabbage rose) and some other flowers and maybe a bit of greenery.

Dry: the greeny bits fade leaving light white florals that just managed to avoid being powdery J

Later: fades some but not as fast as I was afraid it might.

Summary: Nice. I’ll enjoy the imp when I want to feel girly.

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Apple blossom and rose are good, honey is hit-or-miss, and ylang ylang is often not nice to me.

In the Bottle: Rose and honey. A very feminine scent.

Wet: Well hello, ylang ylang. Are you going to let anyone else come out to play?

Drydown: Why, yes you are. How nice of you. Honey shot with floral hints, all fresh and very spring-like. I feel like I'm in a sunny work garden during a lull in the work to capture all the earth's bounty.

Verdict: A nice surprise. I can see myself using the imp and maybe even getting a bottle in the future.

Wow. This is very strong.

I love roses, but on me the ylang ylang comes out really strong and it manages to be both powdery and have a sour note to it. It's so overwhelmingly ylang ylang that I can't pick out any other notes, either wet or dry.

I sniffed without reading the description so that I wasn't conditioned by it. From the description, I should love this scent because I like apple blossom, ylang ylang and honey.

in the imp: Fresh, but at the same time fruity and caramell-y. Edible but not cloying.

On me: Apple? There is something a bit nutty, like sweet almond, but bpal almond goes wrong on me so it must ne something else. The honey?

It is a very balanced mix of the fruity and the floral, but it dies very quickly on me.

It's rosy with - don't tell me why violets on me. But I don't know notes very well. the ylang-ylang perhaps instead

little, fresh with staying power. It's a sultry rose but not toooooo rosey. Which is good because most rose turns to baby powered on me. and not a happy one.

But I like this one. It's not half bad! I probably won't buy a bottle but it's a great scent!

In imp: can't describe. I smell the apple on second sniff, maybe if I knew what ylang ylang smelled like on its own this would be easier to describe?

Wet: oh, it's sweet and pretty and there's a curious apple underneath it all.

Drydown: oh, love. The rose is coming through - I smell rose and apples, rose and apples, I'm in heaven. Eve, you silly girl. I would've gone for the forbidden fruit, too.

Dry: I thought maybe more of the other two components would have overtaken the apples and roses, but they only seem to have made them better, somehow. How? I don't know, but it is. Apples and roses. This is divine.

Eve was okay on me at first - honey and rose in the bottle, and more rosey on me, but it didn't do the powdery, dried rose thing that most BPAL roses do to me. There was a hint of creamy vanilla too, and I had such high hopes...but it just HAD to go bad on me, didn't it? *shakes fist at the sky*

It's doing this weird chemical-y thing to me that some florals do (a lot of Attar Bazaar ones, for instance). Chemicals, bug spray, bathroom cleaner...I don't know WHAT it is, but it is EVIL and I want it off me! *sigh* Shame, because the notes sounded nice other than the rose.

at first i get apple, then i get smacked in the face with a beautifully fresh, juicy rose sweetened by honey (which is pleasantly not overpowering). this is an extremely feminine scent but it is not cloyingly floral nor does it smell "old lady-like" which is a common complaint i have with most florals... i really like this a lot. not bad for a frimp- thank you lab! hehe.

As soon as I opened the imp, I was convinced that I had a mislabeled imp of Persephone -- the rose and apple smelled just like Persephone's rose and pomegranate. But once dry, I could recognize the apple as apple. I've never smelled ylang ylang before and I don't smell any honey. This is a gorgeous scent. I'm definitely putting a bottle of Eve on my wishlist.

At first sniff this had the sexy dripping nectar-y scent that I associate with Brisingamen (apple blossom, no?) and also some of the overpowering, almost-rank sweetness that I get in Follow Me Boy -- not sure what that is since Follow Me Boy has no notes listed; could be ylang ylang maybe? The rankness hung around rather longer than it does in Follow Me Boy so at first I didn't like this one, but after half an hour or so it calmed down and became quite pretty -- like a less grown-up version of Brisingamen. I'm undecided about it.

ADDED Aug. 31:

In the imp: rose, honey, gooey sex.

Wet on me: strong acetone scent at first. It continues to smell of nail polish/polish remover for a bit...

After a few minutes: apple-scented air-freshener. :P It's just really chemical on me. Ylang ylang does this sometimes (happened with Seduction, too).

Drydown: Gooey-sweet honey and ylang ylang.

The drydown is pretty enough but kind of overpowering -- I have other ylang ylang blends I like better, such as La Petit Mort, so I'm not sure I need to keep this one.