Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ipb

Tiphareth

Divine Beauty, Shemesh, Unity, the Balance of Justice and Mercy.

other than i like it and i smell cinnamon i can't say much. i think i've OD'd on too many bpals in too little time and the casanova keeps pushing out tiphareth. will edit this later tonight to add more if my nose comes back.

Strange indeed. On me, Tiphareth smells strongly of pine and resin. It reminds me a bit of Niflheim.

This is definitely a "ritual" blend for me. On first application, I smell pine, strong, clean & clear. A little involuntary shiver runs down my spine. Tiphareth softens as it dries & an aroma reminicent of light comes to the fore. It's not floral, exactly, not creamy...exactly but somehow a little bit of both.

I would call this a "complex" blend, subtle, powerful.

Oh dear...this smells horrid on me. The scent makes me feel sick :P The florals make the pine go evil and insanely medicinal, and the resins don't help...a bit like inhaling glue X____X

Tiphareth is a strong scent!

It smelled exactly the same on my skin as it did in the bottle: heavy resins and woods. The wood is reminiscent of a forest and bark but I did not pick up any of the pine note that others have detected. The resin notes remind me of Cathedral (a scent that I adore) but they are not as crystalline.

This scent has a lot of throw and is incredibly long-lasting. After nine hours, Tiphareth still smelled as if I had just applied it!

Wow...I can't believe I'm reviewing the same oil as everyone else here. Out of the bottle this smelled like weak motor oil (no insult to Beth - I don't think Snake Oil smells like anything in the bottle either). I didn't think I was going to like this from sniffing the bottle, but the oil morphs into an entirely different fragrance with my skin's chemistry. Wearing it, it becomes sweeter. It is resinous .....I was thinking more along the lines of frankincense/opponax or amber/sandalwood though. I then get an herby feel (as is with most of the Tarot's) and a sweet scent that is very close smelling to rose, but I'm not really big on roses and I like this floral. It almost seems like a "weak" rose. This is lightwearing on me with not much throw and as stated prior, it sweetens up as it dries down. This is really beginning to grow on me and I'm liking it more and more as the day goes on. The more my body heats up, the better this smells on me and the sweeter it gets.

First sniff:

Resin...I can't say much more right now. It smells like there's either wood of some sort or red sandalwood in here, too, but it's hard to pin it down.

Wet on skin:

Almost astringent smelling. I know I recognize this, I just can't place it. It's one of those naggingly familiar scents that I know I recognize but can't put my finger on. It's astringent and slightly herbal, but also slightly woody. It's somewhat similar to pine, but not quite... :P

Dry down:

More like dry wood now. The astringent note seems to have disappeared and I'm left with a generic dry wood scent...like oak maybe. Definitely not cedar, pine or redwood.

The bottom line:

I'm not sure if I love this or hate it. It's one of those scents that I'm really ambivalent about. I think if I could place what I'm smelling I could decide, but until then I'm up in the air about this one.

So, I have my review notes down, and I'm looking over other people's reviews, and now I hpe people aren't going to thik I'm crazy :P

When I smelled this in the vial, and wet on my skin, I mostly got a woody-vanilla. I mean fragrant woods, like sandal wood, nt, say, tree-woody like pine or cedar.

As it dried, probably in the first ten minutes or so, I was surprised by a sharp sweet rose over top of that. It was very pretty.

As it dried more... chocolate? mm,vanilla, chocolate. sandalwood and *rose*.. and other things, I'm sure. This isn't as rich a scent as velvet, but it has smiliar components. It is lighter... but it is still strong. Does that make any sense? I guess it has a lot of throw.

A few hours in now, the chocolatey/woody smell is strongest, with still a hint of vanilla and rose.

I really like it, it is very pretty, but it is not as evocatve as I was expecting. I might get a bottle of this just to wear, though.

Again like with Binah, this is a very gentle scent to me. Nothing really stands out except it comes across as soft in an amberish way, warm, not floral nor spicy. Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but I wore in one day while working on a project for one of my classes and I really trucked along and got it done sooner than expected.... of course, maybe I just wanted to get *done* with the project?

I scattered drops of Tiphareth into two candles yesterday, one on either side of my Celtic Cross tarot spread.

I found the scent very soothing. While I shuffled the cards, I meditated about making an unbiased reading.

Edited by glampyre

Woody, and a bit of a burnt herbal smell.

This reminds me a bit of Penitence, but greener and much more dusty. I like this one, it really makes me feel grounded.

Definitely a keeper. :P

I agree with most of the reviews here: this is a deep woody resinous incense spice oil thats so deeply calming. There is a sharpish medicinal note which tickles my nose a little, but I actually really enjoy medicinal notes and I am so glad I bought a 10ml unsniffed.

Yes, Tiphareth definitely has some medicinal undertones, but not unpleasantly so.

After drydown, the one note that strikes me is tree sap. This is a smell that I try to avoid as much as possible as it can make me sick in a matter of seconds, but here I do not seem to be getting any such reaction, much to my relief.

I can see myself wearing Tiphareth when I am in the right kind of mood, but I think it will mostly be a ritual oil for me. There is a depth and an aura of power to it that will be most interesting to work with :P

My first whiff out of the bottle is frankincense. A gently dry & resinious fragrance. I might experiment putting Tiphareth in an unguent base - it smells healing to me - specifically wounded skin healing, probably because of the frankincense.

Then slowly I get a hint of rose - frankincense and rose are lovely together and beautiful skin oils in particular, rose being the Queen of oils for skin and soul.

There are other oils in this blend I am guessing, perhaps cedar? There is a complexity to it, but my guess is that frankincense lies at the heart of Tiphareth....

As a couple of other posters have mentioned, to me this is a ritual oil.... an annoint, perhaps. I put a few drops in a candle burner and over the course of the afternoon my office was filled with a soothing, soft, very faint fragrance. Like being in a temple.

Not sure I will actually wear this on my skin - but I will certainly use it to create a feeling of sacredness in my environment.

Edited by fragrantgrasse

In Bottle: Resin and wood.

On Skin: The strongest note is a wood of some sort… and the resin scent I smell is sweet and dark. It reminds me of the woods at night. I am not the biggest fan of the Sephiroth series, but this one I feel neutral on. I don’t dislike it, but I don’t love it either. It’s a pretty mellow peacful scent and I like stronger, bolder scents.

Tiphareth - Included in the Oblation Caravan circular swap.

In the bottle: Pine, resins, and a light incense.

On me: Still light incense - maybe frankincense? That and piney, woody resin. I don't think this is going to work for me. :P

Drydown: Resins and pine, which I'm not really fond of. And unfortunately, it doesn't really remind me of Justice and Mercy.

Like scourgeotheseas, I got to try Tipareth because of the Oblation Caravan. It starts out as a resiny scent with some green notes, then gets sweeter and louder as it dries down. Like other reviewers, I suspect that the resin may be frankincense. I also wonder if there's red sandalwood in Tipareth, because I can detect a mellow, harmonious wood note that isn't aggressively dry.

I wouldn't buy a bottle of this, but I'm glad that I got to experience it.

BOTTLE: I couldn't put my finger on a note here but it was just so familiar, I think it smelled like something my mom wore ...

WET: It burns slightly on application so I guess that's the cinnamon, but to be honest I don't get ANY cinnamon vibe from this at all. I keep thinking high-end slightly sophisticated, the scent an older woman would wear.

DRYDOWN: Not too strong or overwhelming but nothing that really "does it" for me either ... I can see all the notes others are talking about, pine, cinnamon, resin, etc., but none of them stand out for me individually.

On a scale of 1-5, I'd give it a solid 3 but it will go in the swap pile.

Bottle (Imp): This is a complex blend to my nose. It's not that it has a lot going on, so as to make me confused or anything, just that it's subtle and speaks to me.

Just On: I can't figure out anything this has in it, but it seems very grounding, and centering to me. I think this would be a wonderful meditation scent. I would have to color it blue and brown. (Lately I've really been getting a lot of 'color' from scents, which I didn't used to. It's like I can see them as much as smell them now.)

An hour or two later: It's blue and brown with some purple swirls in it now. This seems to calm me, as when I sniff it I immediately slow my breathing subconsciously and feel more relaxed. Amazing.

Around 6 hours: This has turned into a skin scent, and I'd love to smell this way more often. It has an extreme calming effect on me, moresos than I have ever found before in a scent.

12 hours: It's so much of a skin scent that I can't tell where this begins, and my skin ends. It has faded immensely.

Overall: This makes me really want to try the other Sephiroth Oils, as this affected me more than I thought it might. It's calming and centering.

After reading other reviews: I still can't figure out a single note in this, so I guess it's just that well blended or something. Even after reading, there was nothing that hit me as familiar at all. This hits the bog bottle list.

Origin: Oblation Caravan (so, many of these are going to very short reviews because I've got about 4 of the circular swaps at once right now.)

wow. there's something definitely pungent in this one. There's something definitely

evegfreeny in there, but it doesn't really smell like pine to me. It doesn't smell much

like anything I can think of, though, because it's probably not the type of scent i

would order if notes were given, I can tell that much.

Tiphareth

In the imp: something boozy in here. there's also a hint of fruitiness, or something floral.

Wet on skin: this reminds me of a perfume my mum wears. There's a slightly alcoholic perfume-y quality to this, with a sweet sherbet-like note with a floral aspect. This fruity-floral scent reminds me of some of the tarot oils.

Dry on skin: mm, this is interesting. This is sweet, fruity, floral, but with a sophisticated depth reminiscent of posh perfume. It's light and citrus-sweet, but has a darker, heady feel. It's quite hard to describe, actually.

After a while: dang it, this scent is complex! I think there's a citrus note of some kind in here. it's like sugared candied oranges, or orange sherbet, or maybe even apricot and there's probably vanilla here too. I also think there's a floral in here, not sure what though-I think it could be heliotrope, but I'm not 100% certain. There may also be a resinous note, maybe frankincense or amber? Possibly some sandalwood too? There's also a note there reminiscent of a perfume I've smelt before. It has some resemblance to some of the stations of the sun scents and tarot oils, but that could be my skin.

It seems to fade quite fast, but the scent it leaves behind is really nice-sweet sandalwood and sugared fruits.

Verdict: I'm having so much trouble identifying notes in this blend, it is so complex and well blended. Overall, the scent is very sweet, yet mysterious. There's a mixture of all sorts of scents here-fruity (citrus?), sweet (vanilla? Amber?), a bit of floral (not sure what), and also something deep and mysterious, possibly some resin or wood notes. This scent has a quality that reminds me of expensive perfume, like the one my mum wears. This is a lovely scent, very calming and soothing, but it reminds me of other BPAL blends, so I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

There is the slightest, slightest hint of rose in this otherwise very woodsy, resiny, earthy scent. This is complex and rich and very beautiful.

at first: cinnamon, but...not foody.

on: definitely cinnamon. there's some pine underneath. then, it sweetens up a bit.

overall: this is very interesting. i could see myself buying this to burn in an oil burner.

Deep, resiny pine. I wish I could give more impressions than that, but my skin must have been hungry. It completely sucked up the scent and was gone within the hour. :P