Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gin

Red Ginger

Red Ginger

This goes on so strong and overwhelming, my first reaction is to run and wash it off. I don't, and I'm glad. As it dries, it loses some of it's strength and becomes what I can only describe as a warm, spicy, true ginger scent.

Wow, that's ginger! This is very, very strong. This is the pungent smell of grating fresh ginger root. It fades over time, but it is still something I'm not eager to smell like.

at first: unbelievably pungent ginger. i don't think i like this.

on: very warm smelling. i really don't like it.

half an hour later: this smells like raw potatoes on me.

1.5 hours later: i'm getting a burnt rubber scent now.

overall: needless too say, this is awful on me.

VERY strong and herbally on me, but fresh, too--this is a ginger plant! I wouldn't wear this by itself though, and I wouldn't know what to layer it with :P...still, it's an experiance! :D

Bottle (Imp): Oh yes, it's ginger. (Duh.)

Just On: It's got the ginger kick, though it's not *quite* as sweet as the ginger I've been using lately (fresh, of course). It tickles my nose a little bit, not necessarily in a bad way, just a tickle.

An hour or two later: I can barely get a hint of ginger if I press my nose to my wrist and inhale deeply. Quick fader on me apparently.

Around 6 hours: It's all gone.

12 hours: Gee, still gone <g>.

Overall: It's certainly interesting, and does smell like ginger, though not quite the same as the stuff I cut up last night to use fresh. More like the whole plant, rather than just the ginger itself.

After reading other reviews: Wow, apparently, it's not nearly as strong on my skin as it is on others'.

Holy cow. :P

I suppose I should have guessed that this would be GINGER.

It is not gingerbread. It is not sweet. There are no other spices. It is just ginger, strong as all heck.

I enjoy ginger in blends. This frightens me.

Pow! Right in the nose. And the skin, since I'm sensing more than just a tingle there. Weird start: more earthy and spicy than real ginger, even when cut open. It's got an odd patchouli tinge to it (that might be the "red" variety, I suppose). It burns a bit, far up the nasal passage. Scary strong. The feel of it on my wrist is starting to get uncomfortably burny, so I think my relationship with Red Ginger might be at an end. Powerful, earthy, with a weird middle tone I just can't catch to identify.

Preconceived Notions - Anyone who was at Beth's Love Potion workshop will probably remember me learning the lesson of a little of this going a long way, because I killed my first attempt by putting way too much red ginger in it. But I am a ginger freak, and was thrilled to get my hands on an imp of this.

Wet - this isn't the sweet gingerbread note of Gingerbread Poppet and Bengal. This is ginger root, freshly cut, sharp and astringent and almost lemony. I love ginger, but it isn't necessarily THIS ginger that I love. Still, I do like it.

Dry - as it dries it gets softer, and I realize I like this a lot. It's the scent of pure, fresh ginger. I wouldn't mind getting a bottle of this, just to punch up the ginger in other blends. Maybe I still haven't learned my lesson with ginger after all.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

In bottle: Spicy ginger. Strong and nostril-puckering. It makes me think of my grandmother, who keeps chopped bits of ginger all over the house to keep bugs out. (Or something - I've never actually asked why she has it everywhere.)

On me: Very faint and dusty-spicy. Someone else said potatos - I get a bit of that, yes.

In Bottle: Ginger!!! (What else should it smell like?)

On Skin: Um… gulp. Yeah, that’s ginger. A bit too much ginger for me. Wowsers! This is a note I don’t like to breathe in deeply. It’s very, very, VERY pungent. Slightly dirty, slightly spicy, slightly herbal… VERY not me. It’s hard for me not to want to wash this off, it’s not a good scent at all on me. I was expecting gingersnaps, gingerbread… something along that line. Nope, this isn’t sweet at all. It actually has a very sour note in it, citrusy… maybe lemonish. And dark, a little woody… I’m thinking a little Lemon Pledgy-esque. As it fades, it mellows out some, but still isn’t a scent I’d wear. But I got this to just help me identify specific notes in other blends and that’s exactly what it’s helped me do.

Red Ginger

In the imp: ginger, pure and simple. Spicy and tangy and very warm, this ginger note really crackles with heat. It smells like ginger essential oil, or a ginger root cut open.

Wet on skin: still hot, spicy ginger, but it's also a bit darker now…

Dry on skin: oh no…it's doing that nasty thing that Moxie did…turning to rubber/asphalt on my skin! So whilst I still get ginger, spicy and reminiscent of Chinese food at times, I also get that strangely rubbery, tarry scent of car tyres driving on a newly laid road on a hot summer's day. Dammit. Stupid skin chemistry ruined something so good.

After a while: oh, that's more like it. It takes about an hour or a bit longer before the scent becomes more bearable, and smells more like ginger like it should. It's a drier ginger scent now, with a hint of something almost tea-like to it, reminiscent of Sudha Segara.

Verdict: this seemed so promising in the imp-a wonderful, rich, true ginger-spicy and tangy and hot, just like real ginger. But on the skin, it all goes downhill from there-it does that exact same thing that Moxie did, by turning to a rubber and tarmac scent. It's strange because I thought most BPAL ginger notes were good on me-like Shub Niggurath, or Gingerbread Poppet, and many others-but this SN hates me! I'm definitely going to swap it away…it seems that red ginger isn't a note that likes me, or maybe I can only handle it in certain blends. The drydown is a bit more pleasant though-it goes back to it's gingery scent, but I can't handle the asphalt and new tyres stage of this note though…

Emoticon rating: :P

Single Note: Red Ginger - This is incredibly strong, powerful, and bitter. It’s sharp and biting and smells like freshly-sliced ginger root x10 – only not as sweet. It’s almost too overwhelming in it’s pure form. Fortunately, after it fully dries down, it fades just enough to be bearable and is not so frightening anymore. The scent is true ginger and while it doesn’t have enough texture or depth to wear it by itself, I just know that if I layer it lightly it with some of my favorite ginger scents (e.g., Shub!) it will really bring out the ginger aspect of those blends. The trick is going to be not going overboard since this is the most powerful BPAL I’ve encountered. On its own, the scent has really good staying power – a good four to six hours.

I was expecting this to be sweet, but it definitely isn't the foodie sweet fragrance that I was expecting. This is a sharp and powerful ginger, very earthy and kind of lemony. In the drydown I'm getting that odd, earthy potato-ish scent that other reviewers have mentioned. I can't imagine actually wearing this as a perfume, and I'm not sure what I would want to layer it with either. Red Ginger is overwhelmingly strong on me.

Fresh, fiery ginger. To me it has a slight effervescence - and its more like the ginger you find in ginger beer as opposed to ginger ale. It definitely mellows as it dries, and while I wouldn't wear this just by itself because it makes me think of ginger beer/ale goodness and sets off major cravings, it is definitely ginger.

:yum: