Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Goddess of Strife and Discord, constant companion and sometime consort to Ares. She is a fickle, chaotic Goddess of Bedlam whose greatest passion is the sowing of dissention and turmoil. A suitably disjointed scent, bursting with gleeful mayhem: wet fruits and sharp mimosa with Martial spices and a deceptive flash of floral.

Sweet, round fruits and a hint of spice. Mostly fruit, though. Yum! After a while, however, the spice gets sharper--it's a smoky, almost burnt. Like sandalwood embers, almost. The smoky note rises over the fruit, obscuring but never obliterating it.

Edited by Voleuse

Eris: In the imp, it smells sweet and maybe floral, bit with something unpleasantly sour underneath. On, I'm getting more sweetness and less sourness, though it does smell a bit like a horse. Much like my college roommate's car, that always smelled of horse from the tack kept in the back, but with air freshener over it. As it's drying it seems to be floral and fruity, but I can't pick out anything specific. I keep smelling this and not knowing what to write. It's mostly nice, but with a hint of something slightly “off” - not necessarily in a bad way, but different. I think I'm getting mostly floral out of this after 10-15 minutes. Ooops! Now it's fruit! I can see the goddess of discord enjoying this, watching us all sniff over and over trying to pick out what the heck this smells like, and what the heck is in this that peeks out once in a while giving it a bit of a dark edge. She's laughing at us, I bet. I keep thinking this reminds me of something and can't think of what. This is staying very strong, and turning a bit old-lady-perfume on me at the moment.

In fact, I think this is almost exactly the smell that lingered on the vanity I inherited from my grandmother – the smell of old perfume and powder, hairspray, hairnets and curlers soaked into the wood. It's stronger than that, but that's what it's reminding me of. The vanity doesn't really smell like that anymore, and I'm tempted to dab some of this in there to bring it back! I think I'll be keeping the imp for nostalgia's sake (in the vanity, naturally), but not buying a bottle. I probably will test this again in the Spring, to give it another chance.

I'm not liking it much at ALL now after an hour and a half, and may go wash it off. After 2 hours it's fading a bit, but still wafting! Ugh. Must wash this off!!! Old lady hairspray smell is OK for a nostalgic heirloom piece of furniture, but not to wear! :P

I wanted to like this one, but other than a few minutes when it first dried, yuck. Not for me.

Oh my, why have I never tried this one?! She is a lovely scent, bright, yellow, fruity and sweet. There's a sharp but lovely citrus note, but I can also smell other fruitiness in the background. Something like pears perhaps? The floral shadows the fruits, and it is so amazingly feminine and beautiful. This is a youthful, radiating high spirited scent, and I think I definitely need a 5 ml!!

:P

Thanks to the Labbies for the frimp. :P

Imp: This is very sweet in the imp, I guess the "wet" quality is what makes it smell so fresh.

Skin: I get a sense of sweet florals, I'm thinking that must be the mimosa, although it doesn't really have a "sharp" quality so much as a "fresh" one. Like fresh-cut flowers.

Drydown: After an hour this mellows to a sort of sweet spiciness. It's kind of a gourmand feeling, but not in the way that it makes you think of a certain dish, just the overall sense of something yummy.

Unfortunately, my imp cap broke (my first one :D ) so I'll have to give this one a new home at some point.

Eris is extremely sweet; it's candy-like at first. Sort of like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. In the beginning it kinda reminds me of Bordello without the booze, and it's slightly creamier. As it's drying it becomes more floral and a little bit spicy, but it keeps that nice, bright juicy sweetness for quite a while. I have yet to figure out what mimosa actually smells like, but it seems like whenever I see mimosa in the notes I usually like the blend.

I like this one a lot.

Imp: Ok this definately smells like some artificial flavoured candy, like Jolly Ranchers - maybe watermelon flavoured? :P

Wet: Same, although less sharply so.

Dry: Having recently tried Vasakasajja, this is extremely similar, if not in notes, then in "vibe". The same kind of tropical floral fruitiness. Vasakasajja is more subtle though. I think I'll end up swapping this one.

In bottle: wet fruits

Wet: Wet fruits and sweet, heavy florals and maybe some dry spices lurking in back. I like this one a lot.

Dry: Stays much the same. Nice and clear and sweet with enough depth and complexity to be interesting.

Later: Becomes warm and creamy with the spice still hanging out in back. :P

Summary: Very, very nice. Why is it all the ones that I’ve tired recently that I want big bottles are all about discord and strife???

What a lovely scent this is... and how fitting a tribute to Eris! The predominant note in this for me is apple, which is appropriate because, if memory serves, Eris sows discord by throwing magical apples kind of like some screwed-up version of Cupid. I also smell two notes that I can't quite put my finger on, but they are complete temperature opposites and also contribute to the Eris homage. One is a warm, almost buttery note that I have also noted in Bordello. The other is something cool and fresh like an aquatic floral almost.

Overall, this is very pretty, almost impish scent, and I like it very much. It will also make a nice transitional scent for me to enjoy as winter continues to become spring here in New England. Eris is too similar to other scents I already own bottles of for me to want to bottle this one as well, but it's just beautiful. I will definitely be finishing and savoring my imp.

Edited by glass_cat

Eris on me smells like a lighter, creamier Euterpe. Not that that's a bad thing, I just was expecting something totally different.

This imp is going into my aging pile. Maybe after it's aged it'll smell more distinctive.

Lots of sweet, bright fruit. Unfortunately, too much of it for my skin...it smelled as though I was being *pelted* with the divine apples.

Eris is definitely a very nice scent, light and fruity without being too sweet or overpowering. To me it smells (in the bottle and on me) like some light, floral incense I used to have that I can't remember, and my boyfriend said it smelled like watermellon, but the fresh kind, not that fake sickly kind.

Overall it's perfect for a warm, sunny day. I'll definitely use the whole imp, if I don't buy a bottle. I'd give it a 4/5.

ETA: It smells like the strawberry incense that I had when I was younger, but softer. Yum.

Edited by captainoats

In the vial - Very sweet and wet, like a handful of crushed fruits on a warm day. I'm not at all positive but I think the blend may include strawberries and bananas.

Wet on the skin - Bright and sour-sweet, with a hint of juicy bitterness underneath. A few minutes into wear, the strongest fruit note that I can identify is the same golden apple note as in Ladon - very approriate, since it was Eris who threw the golden apple that started the Trojan War.

Dry down - The bitter edge noticeable on first application has disappeared quickly. I can't smell any of the spices mentioned elsewhere; on my skin Eris is almost exclusively a fruit blend, with a touch of dusky florals. It's a bright, juicy and colourful scent that's perfect for this time of year. I'll be wearing this with casual clothes in bright, strong tones, and probably using it to scent the room for summer lunchtime entertaining, too. :P

Delightfully light and fruity, with the almost fecal undertone of mimosa subtly balanced. The fruitiness reminds me of something I can’t remember which fragrance though. When it dries, the floral note becomes more pronounced. I broke the cap on this and sadly had to use up for the imp for fear of it spoiling. I would love another imp as I think this would be beautiful in summer though I tested it in winter.

ErisSS.jpg

Imp/Bottle: There is a definite fruit scent, but it goes back and forth between apple and melon, to my nose and then a floral note jumps out. Also, though the scent is at first sweet, my nose catches an underlying sourness, as though the fruit weren't quite ripe or the flower not quite fully opened. Truly, this is a scent of chaos!

First Applied: True to the first sniff, there are the competing fruit scents, the surprising floral note, and the roller-coaster of sweet-then-sour. I could swear I also catch a sense of dryness (as in the desert) but then there's an aquatic note! Eris is really laughing about this one, I swear.

Dry Down: Thankfully, this blend settles down upon drydown and is a thoroughly enjoyable floral with a fruity bottom. There are no longer any competing sweet/sour or wet/dry notes, thank goodness. What was fun when first applied might become jarring if it goes on for too long, and I'm so happy it didn't.

Final Verdict: 2 out of 5 stars.

Edited by stellans

wet, it has the same weird diapey wipe smell (clean of course) that turns me off of Katharina...I dunno know what it is, I was thinking white musk, but the description doesn't have it in there....I searched this thread, though, and it seems a lot of people smelled white musk in this blend, so maybe I'm not all that crazy.

I also smell jasmine, my arch nemesis of allergens...

Drying down: that weird note went away, thank goodness, and the jasmine-y smell is actually pretty on me! Amazing--normally, it makes me smell like a brothel or something. This smells like real jasminey jasmine, creamy and pretty and a bit leafy! It's not really my type of smell, but I think I will keep this imp and just see if the mood ever strikes me...I am pleasantly surprised:)

ETA: what the heck is wrong with my body chemistry? I just re-read the scent description and I swear I got no fruit out of this at all...all I got was the deceptively sweet flash of floral....grrrr....well, maybe all the other stuff is what makes this one smell prettier on me than a straight up floral would? weird.

Edited by willowtreeling

Eris

In the imp: watermelon! This smells like watermelon sweets (Jolly Ranchers maybe?) and is sugary and fun.

Wet on skin: watermelon but now I think I smell the mimosa.

Dry on skin: watermelon and a lot of other wet fruits, with dry floral notes and mimosa. This is surprisingly nice! The fruits are most apparent, melon with something that could be kiwi or another tropical fruit, and maybe some white grape or berries? Maybe plum? I smell citrus as well. Fruit salad sprinkled with sugar. The mimosa is a warm sunny fuzzy yellow scent, and I swear there's a hint of rose peeking out here too. I smell something warm and vaguely spicy but it's not blatant. This is playful and summery and with a hint of mischief to it.

After a while: the melon note tones down and the scent warms up even more, possibly because of the spices-I think there's saffron here? There's a lovely dried rose scent along with a mix of fruits, smelling more like a spiced smoothie at this point than a fruit salad, and the soft powdery scent of mimosa permeates the fruity brightness. There's a floral note here that reminds me of Prague. I think there may be some apple in here too, which is fitting considering the mythology of Eris!

At one point, I think there may be some lotus here, there's that sweet candied fruity floral scent to it which reminds me of my SN. That's a good thing, as I do love lotus. The fruity mimosa scent is still there (and the mimosa in here doesn't turn to soap) with that subtle warmth to it which is almost musky. oddly, there's even a hint of Lotus Moon to this stage of the scent, I smell lotus and the rose, maybe some amber too? The drydown is a lovely fruity lotus scent, candy-sweet and girly and fun.

Verdict: this is surprisingly good! It smells like a fun, sparkling mix of fresh fruit, mainly melons and sweet apple, but there are also other sugared fruits in here that I can't distinguish but that smell very nice. The spice is subtle but adds a soft warmth to it all, there's a hint of mimosa which adds it's yellow pollen-y touch, and some other florals like rose and lotus (I think). This scent is gorgeous-very youthful and light and fun, quite mischievous as well, which is appropriate, I think. It smells sparkly and summery and candied. (It's no surprise that I like Eris, since I discovered that the newly discovered 'dwarf planet'/Kuiper belt object named Eris-the one that sent the definition of the solar system itself into disorder-is conjunct my sun, Mercury and Venus in my birth chart.) I'm so tempted to get more…but then I get the 'side effects'. I've been reading on the forum about some people getting chaotic things happening in their lives after wearing Eris, almost like this is a TAL or has been ritually blended to evoke the goddess of discord. And indeed, chaos happened when I wore this. The gas cooker broke. The computer screwed up. There were rows with my mum. Even the weather went crazy. Of course this could be coincidence but I think Beth's Excolo scents are more than perfume-they really do evoke their respective deities…which gives me second thoughts about whether or not to get more of this scent. it's a shame, because I love the scent so much! I should wear this with care, whenever I feel like I can cope with a little discord in my life…

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes! Although, I must use sparingly and whenever I feel I can deal with a bit of chaos…

If you like this, try: Yemaya, Shango, Prague, Succubus, Fruit Moon, Lotus Moon, Arachne

I almost didn't post this review, because I couldn't bear to try it on my skin.

In the imp, this smelled like...I swear...bubblegum and ass. I have no idea which note is giving me that impression, but obviously, this scent does NOT like me. ::shudders::

Oh god the melon... oh the melon is so deliciously sweet... But what is this??? The melon has faded and left me with fruited white flowers, vanilla and a hint of nose-tickling spices. These are the same flowers that I hated in Aglaea - old lady, tiny, cloying... Why oh why??

I gave it to a friend at work who ADORES everything melon and she has lovingly adopted it forever.

Watermelon-y! Yummy yummy x3! Very fruity sweet fruity! Hehe this scent makes me giddy! I really really like it and I think it would be a nice spring scent. It smells like some kind of fruity drink...I kinda wanna taste it! But don't worry, I won't! I think I might need a bottle of this!

Wet: fruity, sweet, definitely can smell the floral tones in it.

On skin: sweet, the mimosa is apparent and smells, as AmyAngel mentioned, like hairsrpay (which for me isn't quite bad, weirdly enough)

Drydown: didn't change much. Will enjoy imp, but will not purchase a 5 ml. :P

Edited by seven

Flowers in the cat box. Ooh, the cat box went away, now it’s just floral! Keep and play with longer.

Wet fruit is right (is one of those fruits apple?)! But only at first...after about 10 minutes, this faded down to something much lighter and I can barely smell it. The mimosa with a hint of flowers is all I'm getting now. It's ok. Might make a nice scent for laundry.

Eris

At first, this scent is overwhelming. Very fruity, almost cloyingly sweet. The subtle floral notes keep this from being foody. It is intense, even an hour after application it's almost too strong for the nose-to-wrist sniff. As it settles, it softens and becomes rather lovely. But it's initial (and long-lasting) intensity is a bit too much.

Feminine and youthful, this is a vibrant Summer scent. It's assertive and commanding. It reminds me of a tea my husband and I bought in Canada, "Lady Hanna".

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

2 / 3 : *sigh* I love this scent after it's mellowed out, but it's initial stage is waaay too much for me.

Edited by MaidenGenevive

Ugh I find this so unpleasant, albeit unharmonious as it should be.

This scent is mainly strong, sickening watermelon, with some pleasant 'somethings' in the background. I get a hint of mimosa and nag champa, but it's not worth clawing through the frightening cloud of moldy Jolly Rancher to experience that hint. It lasted about an hour, I was hoping that the fruit would get the hell out so I could love the background, but it was all gone and all at the same ratio of 'ick' to 'I wish'

Sad, because of the name, I would have loved this fragrance to be some sort of signature for me!

Alas, not meant to be. :P

Out of 5 stars this gets a 1, maybe 1.5.

In the imp: Ok, umm... this may sound odd, but this smells like berries and farm to me. Like someone burning a candle in a farmhouse (a smell with which I am intimately familiar.) I wonder why I am getting that...

On the wrist: Well the... farm note has mellowed some. Now it's more just berries. I'm getting a hint of spice in this now, but damned if I could pinpoint what the spice *is*. Musky fruits, sweet and spicy, sharp and dusty. Very contradictory! Sweetening and sharpening up quite a bit and regaining the farm animal smell.

Drydown: This has gone (and is showing every sign of staying) all farm animal and sharp berries on me. Swaps.