Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Inspired by and created for my beloved Tedwin: my eternal, beautiful, wicked Dorian Gray. Refined, elegant, and lovely, with a noble bearing and seemingly gentle air. This blend is an artful deception: a sweet gilded blossom lying over a twisted and corrupted core. A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

omggg, this is such a subtle scent but it is so oh my fucking god SEXY.

vanilla honey tea.........i can just picture dorian gray wearing this while sitting for the famous portrait.

omfggggg *fangasms*

Sweet and light. Yet with something a little darker underneith. I love the lemon and tea it keeps me sniffing my wrist. Which is a good sign! There's not a lot of throw on it though.

Dorian... mm. :P

In the vial: I can smell the vanilla, and it is a rich, creamy vanilla. There is a hint of lemon, as well, which gives the overall effect to me of lemony sugar cookies... but creamier.

Wet on skin: The lemon pops up a little bit directly after application on my skin, and stays a little more prominent for a while...

Dry down: Overall this blends down into the sweetest, softest, most moist lemon cookie ever, dunked in a cup of afternoon tea.

I thought initially that this was too sweet for me to enjoy, but it just needs the right day. A day when I'm not hungry, 'cause Dorian definately makes my stomach gurgle.

Edited 'cause I can't type for crap.

Edited by dorothy humbird

This was a little more perfumey than I expected, and not as comforting as everyone said it was. It's a sweet, nice scent with a vanilla base and some light musks. It's OK, but I don't love it. I really don't care for the tea scents, I'm coming to realize.

Edited by talula_fairie

This is my first BPAL purchase and review. :P

In the vial: Sugary. lemony. Almost no vanilla of which to speak.

Wet on skin: There's a prominent lemony smell which just reminded me of soap, leading me to fear I wouldn't like this perfume as much as its description made me think I would.

Dry: Smells exactly like sugared vanilla tea, with the faintest hint of lemon. I bought Dorian to replace a perfume that came from France that I hadn't been able to find again, and while it's obviously a little different (has less throw, is slightly lemony) it's a fairly good analogue. I feel it's probably a better scent for me because it's lighter and airier, and lighter scents tend to suit me well.

Dorian has de-flowered me, stolen my innocence... (this is bpal virginity of which I speak) :D very appropriate though I suppose!

Because Dorian is indeed the smell of a gorgeous, confidently sexy, yet almost androgynous youth! I wasn't impressed on first try, but I'm glad I gave it a proper 2nd chance :P

I can detect the tea base, and the lemony feeling which I suppose could come from the fougère (i wouldn't know because i don't think i've ever smelt fougère before). On top of that is the delicate but addictive sweetness...

Good thow and staying power on me. I applied it last night on my arm and it's still here today, ever so softly.

Dorian.... ahhhh. I received a sniffie of this in a Mystery Imp Grab Bag, and there was just enough to test it out. OMG.... now I know what cats experience with catnip! I want to roll around in it, shake my tail and POUNCE!

Its my first 5ML purchase, and I am anxiously awaiting the CNS for it =)

:P

This is my 1000th post and I can't help but think it's rather fitting

In the bottle: vanilla tea

On Skin: I get something musky with tea and vanilla and lavender

And then it disappears.... wait... come back...

On Drydown: It's back! :P It's smells like sugary tea with something else, very creamy.

On the boy: Started out as a lavender/vanilla tea and moved into a musky sort of vanilla on him. It was a bit femme on him but he still likes it. He loves Wilde more. But Dorian is a close second. Another bottle love! Yeah! :D

Verdict: This is invariably a bottle order because we both like it. I like the fact that it's sweet without being gaggingly so, vanilla without being ALL vanilla and lightly floral without being too floral. God, does that description make any sense?

Lovely, lovely, lovely. If I were Ted, I'd be so immensely flattered. This was a labor of love and it's gorgeous. Thanks to Beth for sharing this with the rest of us, because Ted isn't the only one smelling faboo. Faboo I say.

/end of fangirling. Mmmm... Dorian...

ON me, pure sugar cookie, very innocent smelling. But oh what a difference body chemistry makes - on the Tall Guy it was completly sexy.

Edited by Monster Alice

Wearing this right now...

I find it very pleasant... the creamy vanilla tea scent is strong without being overpowering. I think the musks really get buried by the vanilla, though.

To me, it's a very comforting scent. It makes Monster Alice want to tear my clothes off, which is an added benefit. :P

Nice, but not one that I'll likely get in a 5ml...

Oh glory be. Like the other 500 reviwers before me, I agree that this scent is freakin' SEXY.

It's a morpher on my skin. The first time I tried it, it was very dry, yummy vanilla tea. The second time, it was a delicious, buttery vanilla cookie. Either way it makes me want to lick myself o_0

Yuuuummmmm. Definitely one of my Top 5. And DEFINITELY a big bottle purchase.

ETA: What did Beth put in here???? I can't stop sniffing myself. Or re-applying every five seconds. :swoon:

Edited by little_galaxie

In the imp: Sugared something… it’s vaguely tart, but not lemony. Sweet, but not overly sugary. A hint of vanilla.

Wet/Drydown: Vanilla orange! This really is more orange than lemon to me. I’m not getting any musk. The vanilla is so lovely and light, not really foody, which is a good thing. Nice tea notes. Very crisp citrus tea smoothed and warmed by vanilla. Ahh, there’s my lovely musk. I love musk! And now the musk is getting headier and heavier, turning this very fresh, refined scent into something a bit naughtier. Mmm… this is a musky vanilla orange. Absolutely delicious. A bit drier – now the citrus note is amping, which is unexpected, and the orange is becoming a bit more tart, like an orange/lemon mix. It plays so nicely with the other notes, and tarts up the sweetness – and this is a VERY sweet scent. That would normally repel me, but I really think the citrus and the musk is what sells me on it. The throw is pretty strong for a lighter scent. Alright, now the musks have receded into the background and are gently supporting the creamy, creamy vanilla/citrus blend.

Dry: The sugar has calmed down, leaving the upkeep of the sweetness to the vanilla, and I must say, vanilla, you’re doing a lovely job. It’s sweet without being cloying. A hint of musk-sweetness contributes as well. Drier – vanilla amps up a bit and the citrus is pretty much gone (sad!). This is pretty much all vanilla tea on me, with a hint of musk underneath.

2 hours later: Dorian has mellowed into an amazingly delicious musky vanilla. I never thought I’d actually wear vanilla, as commercial vanillas give me a headache, but I’ll definitely wear more of this.

Wet: A nice warm vanilla with a hint of lemon and musk. mmmm.....

As it dries the musks come out more. Yum!The lemon is still there, but just a hint and the vanilla is dark and warm, not overly sweet at all. I always hated vanilla scents because they were usually too sweet and made me ill. The lab changed that! I have finally discovered my love for vanilla. :P

This is definately sexy and is going on my bottle list!

ETA:

uh-oh. I'm getting a headache. I don't know if it's the perfume or not, but I think I'll wait on getting a bottle until I try it again to see.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Imp: Sweet Vanilla Tea. Quite a light fragrance.

Wet: Sugary vanilla tea. The scent is much stronger than it was in the imp. I feel a slight headache coming on.

Dry: This is quite lovely. The vanilla is becoming more creamy and the musk starts to come through. There's a hint of lemon in the background. It's sweet, sophisticated and a little sexy.

I like this and it works well with my skin chemistry but today probably wasn't a good day to try it. The weather was hot and humid and I found the sweetness of Dorian a little nauseating.

Edited by Sashan

I slathered this on before going to work, without doing a patch test first, so I had no idea what I would smell like today.

Upon application, I got a strong lemony note, then vanilla and musk. But there was something that kind of smelled like lavender? When I got to work it had settled down into a sugary musk, but with something a little masculine underneath; it wasn't a candy-ish, "girly" sweet. I enjoyed it wafting from my wrists though. It had pretty good throw; One of my (male) co-workers said, "something smells nice, is that you?"

By the end of the day, all that was left was a whisper of sugar and musk. I like that this was a bit different from the vanillas I usually wear.

I never did get any tea note though.

This is what made me order from BPAL (I'm a bit suspicious of Internet purchasing), but as soon as I read the description I knew I had to do it.

In the imp it smelled really strongly of alcohol =\ uh oh.

But as soon as it got onto my skin, OH MY FREAKING GOD. I agree with one of the original posters... Goes from having tea with a proper English gentleman but as soon as the maid is gone he fucks you six ways to Sunday. Goes on as really strong vanilla with a slight lemon hint, but as soon as it dries, I could start smelling some of the tea and the musk. Basically it was like smelling sweet vanilla tea with lemon off of the gentleman's naked body, except less dirty. I could definitely find comfort in this. 10 hours after application, and a bit of spice comes out (but that might be something else that rubbed off from my clothes onto my wrist) and I seriously cannot stop smelling myself. Mmm.

ooooooh.....good.....LORD

Dorian is absolutely incredible!

The notes are fairly straightforward (I don't even get any lemon from it) but somehow this just makes my toes curl. My absolute favorite of everything I've ever tried from BPAL. If you haven't tried it by now, DO IT. It's just....GAH!

:P

I have been waiting for this. Such a popular scent!

WET: Loads of vanilla and musk. Well, lets slather some on and see what happens!

ON SKIN: Loads of vanilla and musk. Then more musk, less vanilla.

AFTER 12 HOURS ON: I can still smell this! Amazing staying power. Still lots of vanilla and musk.

Well, it IS a nice scent. The period of time it lasts is the best yet.

Not sure if I need a big bottle, however. :P

Edited by Esscentual

This morphed the same in my locket as on my skin to a wonderful scent. I don't care for vanilla, however I really couldn't detect it specifically in this. All the components just worked together nicely.

It faded quickly on my skin but stayed strong in my locket. I even wore my locket to sleep and Dorian was still fragrant when I woke up. I liked it enough that I ordered the soap last week.

ETA 3/22/07: I've changed my mind about vanilla...now that I've tried more BPAL, I find that I like the BPAL version of vanilla in quite a few scents - the vanilla works so well with other notes! This is good for me because my DH does not like most perfumes but he does like the ones with vanilla!

Edited by gailprentice

Imp: Musky cinnamon...not very tea-like at all. Hmm...

Wet: Sweet scones.

Dry: Fresh, sugared milk, and somehow tea-esk! I get the milk tea. Holy crap! Wow. That is so neat!!

Final Thoughts: Wow, this is so pretty and comforting. I love milk teas. I'll sit and breathe in the warm cup and this is wearning those moments. Precious. Bigger bottle for sure.

Now to try it on the boy...

[LATER THAT DAY]

The lemon came out a lot more on him, a sweet and light lemon cake. He deemed this VERY good because he loves lemon cake. Upon drydown there was more tea and lemon and I like it a lot. He still isn't a very scent oriented person, but he has agreed to wear this on request for me. =)

On me, the second time, I get more lemon, but still the yummy sweet creamy tea scent of comfort and love. I need to get the soap of this I think. Yummy!

Edited by brit_brat100

Dorian was the first BPAL I ever tried (I bought a 5 ml unsniffed, my first order). I was not disappointed.

In the bottle and at first on application: citrussy sweetened tea. As it dries this develops into a wonderful creamy white musk and vanilla with a fresh, sugared citrussy tea tinge to it. It’s a truly beautiful scent.

To me, this blend has a subtle but confident sexyness to it – but also a bit of melancholy, I think. Kind of pining for someone really beautiful that you can’t have. Anyway, Dorian is one of my favorites and I love him very much. :P

Edited by Maia

Ahem...I'm a little obsessed and today is my frist time wearing Dorian. Dorian is sweet and spicey and comforting and sexy. The juxtapositions are too much to take...I'm SMITTEN!

It reminds me of White Rabbit and Kephra mixed together...

Mmm.... yummy. This was a frimp in my last order.

Pungently musky in the bottle, but once it hits my skin, it goes all lemony and bright.

On dry-down though, I get a sugary sweet vanilla scent with just a hint of musky darkness beneath. Its like a mask of innocence behind which vile and seductive intentions smoulder in a vice-laden mind.

I'll repeat... yummy.

Dorian. Dorian. Wherefore art thou, Dorian? Perhaps my nose is fried from sniffing so many imps tonight and last night, but Dorian was hiding from me -- in the imp and on my skin.

And then I applied a little more, and there! Finally, I got what everyone's been talking about! This is light and sweet and going to be a great scent for warmer weather, if I can keep my ridiculously fair skin from eating this up. I may make a lotion out of it. Will consider buying a larger bottle.