Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black roses, Pashmina oud, clove bud, opoponax, kyphi smoke, tobacco absolute, and orris butter.

Smoky dark red roses and by "smoky" I don't mean charred. More like colored by the resins. I almost smell jasmine here, maybe the oud is indolic? Anyway this has an old movie glamor feel to it.

Edited by patina

A deep, jewel tone purple musk. I think the kyphi is the strongest, but I'd describe it more as resiny than smoky. I'm getting a floral note in the background, but it doesn't read as especially rosy. I think the black rose is combining with the pashmina oud to give the scent a slight floral and cashmere component to it. I was surprised by this one, given its notes. It ended up being a more resiny, purple oud scent, with a noticeable floral and cashmere quality to it.

This is a gorgeously dark dramatic scent. Old movie/noir glam is spot on. Also agree with samanare that there's a cashmere richness to it, although I came to say that I thought the orris butter was adding something pearlescent, but both can be true. My scent brain remembered In Time of Plague having similar notes, but that blend is quite stark and severe in comparison to this richness. Black rose is featured more prominently here and I think the oud pairing helps it smell more like a living rose than a dried one. Plus the kyphi is holding its own with the tobacco note, which adds more dimension.  

this one goes through several stages on my skin. it opens with a powdery, incensy rose and orris, then gets less powdery and more tobacco heavy with a sense of brightness. then somewhere in the middle, the rose turns quite sour, and stays that way for awhile (this is the worst stage for me but thankfully doesn't last long.) eventually i get more smoke and oud and that sourness burns off. i am left with a smoky, clovey rose with hints of something sort of sparkling for lack of a better word. i think the 'diamonds' are here and i think i get the 'pearls' from the buttery orris. this is a really interesting rose that has a vintage feel and gets more beautiful over time.

Edited by theseagrows

Old fashioned rose soap, something strong that smells like cheap aerosol hair spray, cigarette smoke, and musty woods.  It has a very 80s hair salon scent to it - big, perfumey, chemical-y, and sour, with a cigarette hanging out of its mouth.  80s hair salon chemicals with smoke and dark wood?  It's awful on me, unfortunately, and I had high hopes for this one.

I keep forgetting to take notes when I wear this, but suffice to say, it was a blind bottle win. I get a dark, spicy rose with a resinous background that makes me feel like there should be tom toms playing while I walk. I agree with the old movie glam and the smokey descriptors. Like foggy scenes in vintage movies. I would say that the smokey/foggy vibe comes from the orris.

I get eight hours or more, depending on how much I put on. This is one of those perfumes that gets exponentially louder with moderate application. I'm usually a two-cap-dab kinda broad, and that gives me moderate projection. But four cap dabs turn this into a Mae West "come up and see me sometime [eyelash bat]" type of perfume but if Mae West was Scorpion with his grappling hook from Mortal Kombat.