Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Pumpkin Trash Bag

A crinkly, crunchy, cartoony jack-o-lantern scent, stuffed full of leaves and eager to please: orange blossom, blood orange, and orange hard candy with pumpkin pulp and smushed leaves

Pumpkin Trash Bag is all dead leaves on me, and unfortunately it is the variety of bpal's dead leaves that smells like a green bell pepper - crisp, green, crunchy, watery, and a little peppery - on a powdery, dry, intensely sharp, white musky base.  I'm getting no pumpkin and no orange.  I don't like this one at all.

Edit to add: I let it "rest" for 3 more weeks and it still smells the same on me 🤷‍♀️ nothing but sharp, green, wet, musky 'dead leaves' note.

Edited by Little Bird

I let this one rest about a week before testing. Fresh from the mail my experience was the same as Little Bird's. Wet musty peppery leaves. Pleased to say that after testing and on the skin the orange comes out beautifully! As soon as it hit my skin there is a bright burst of juicy orange, it's sweet but not artificial. The musty leaves goes away almost completely after it dries, it settles into a slightly earthy background note. I don't know if I'm tricking myself into smelling pumpkin, but underneath the orange I get a smell slightly reminiscent of pumpkin guts. I'm glad I gave this one a longer rest before testing, because it scared me right out of the mail box. Give it a healthy rest before writing this one off! 

I let this one rest for a few hours before I even opened it much less put it on. 

I am so pleased to report that this is everything I wanted out of this cute little fella. The peppery leaves is definitely the first thing that jumps out on the skin, but the orange is peeking through ever so slightly to give that little juicy edge. As it wears the orange candy note overtakes the blood orange and I don't mind it at all, because blended with the earthiness of the leaves it makes it smell very cheerful and atmospheric in it's own playful way. It lasted a good four hours on my skin, give or take. 

It really IS crinkly and crunchy! In the bottle I was bowled over by just how dry and leafy this is, the orange doesn't leap right out to me but there is something "bright and shiny" about it which is definitely the orangey stuff creeping through. This is the scent of that moment in The Nightmare Before Christmas when Jack Skellington is walking through the woods at sunrise, right before he discovers the holiday doors for the first time.

On the skin the juiciness and candiness of the orange notes assert themselves more and blend with the leafiness, and the overall effect reminds me of the Under the Maple Boughs hair gloss I fell in love with back in 2017. I agree with @DisguisedSuperhero who observed how subtle and fleshy the pumpkin is -- lending oomph to the color palette as well as the seasonal associations, but if someone wasn't made aware of it, I don't know that they'd be able to pick it out. The longevity is good; and my skin seems to hang onto the neroli longer than anything else, but mellowed out with a little pumpkiny softness in a way that helps it remain distinctly autumnal.

This is a wonderful late-summer, warmer weather scent, and I'm excited to wear it in colder months to tap into those bright and shiny feelings again.

I'm very glad that this had time to rest out of the mail and I gave it time to settle in on my skin. Immediately upon hitting my skin, this one gave me a fright with a blast of acrid evil sodden leaves. Underneath though there was something promising, so I pulled my sleeve down over it, and intentionally didn't smell it for a bit.

Fifteen minutes later, it was doing something wonderful. Soft peppery fallen leaves with a hint of being carved pumpkin are now the backdrop of the scent, and the tangy tart citrus from the blood orange and distinctly sour orange candy, with a fresh breath of floral orange blossom have taken the front notes of the scent. This is what I was hoping for, and I'm glad that each time I sampled it onto my skin, I remembered to give it time! 

The citrus is definitely what makes this work for me, and I have a slightly fraught relationship with dead leaves, but they work here! But only once they've had time to settle on my skin.

This is definitely crunchy leaves on my skin, with the freshness of a scooped out pumpkin. I haven't caught the orange yet, but I don't honestly mind - for me this is the fall version of grassy "freshness", that dead plant matter smell, and I love it. 

An orange, floral/vegetal scent. The orange blossom is the strongest on me, the orange and orange candy are right behind, making the scent very distinctly 'orange.' I cannot pick out the pumpkin nor leaves notes directly, but there's definitely a fibrous, plant quality to the scent. It adds to the orange blossom, taking this scent away from citrus and towards a more earthy, vegetal side of orange blossom. Overall, I'd describe this as a fall take on an orange blossom scent, with other orange notes to support.

I really do like this - but i am mostly getting the dead leaves note. It does have a sweet orange undertone; floral and candy; accompanied by vegetal moist greens, wet most noteably so - but it just goes to mostly dead leaves. A less strong version with ~ something slightly different ~ I barely get pumpkin.
It is very nice, but i was hoping for more of a twist/the other notes to be more at play, giving it a more halloweeny feel than more autumn. Too bad. (But my skin does tend to amp the dead leaves note).