Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

A Little Silver Scimitar

Oh, this scent is MAGICAL. Creamy and a little aquatic, aromatic with the tree scents. I was worried from the description that it might be a little too cologne, but in practice it is delightfully gender neutral. I love moonflower in most contexts, and it works very nicely in here. It doesn't have as much throw as some scents, so one might apply it a little more heavily if one wants the scent to be more than a hint, but that is fine by me. So glad I picked this up at Dragoncon!

This is indeed magical! The ambergris and oris team up to make a creamy, foamy aquatic scent. The fir and cypress bring this to the wooded coast, fresh and pleasantly sharp in their evergreen nature and well balanced between both types of trees. The addition of moonflower takes this somewhere very special and magical though. It's a subtle moonflower, not heady as it can sometimes be, like just opening buds. This is perhaps a witch's garden in the woods by the sea, a peaceful place but one that seems a slight side step from reality.

The moonflower with the evergreens is amazing. They compliment each other so well. Moonflower is rare to see in a perfume oil and sometimes, like Tuberose, is unwelcomely strong. Here it is on equal footing with the evergreens, which are fresh, and the whole thing feels bright...and somehow cold (apt for a Moon based concept). This feels like a Yule oil to me, and I love it. I'm surprised there are so few reviews of this so far. 

This smells ..."incisive" is the word that comes to mind. It knows something, visions of silver, fruit, blood. I picture less a scimitar and more a little letter opener, sharp-edged glinting, used to liberate clever missives, mince sour slivers of plum, impale inconstant hearts.

"Incisive" really fits well! The fir needle is at the forefront, while the other notes meld in the background. I was worried when reviews described it as aquatic, but it's not cologne-like; the ambergris lends a muskiness that lingers. Bright yet complex.

Back in the day I really liked Nocnitsa, which was "fir wood, nighttime air, wet forest mosses and upturned earth," though a lot of people got a lime/candy vibe out of it.

A Little Silver Scimitar made me think of a kinder, gentler, warmer Nocnitsa. The moonflower is candy-sweet, almost fruity. It and the fir needle are at the forefront. Orris, a familiar friend, is in the back seat. Sometimes it's dusty. Not this time.

My impression is, amusingly, almost the opposite of what everyone else is saying. Instead of a cold, incisive scent, I feel that it's more like dozing off while staring at the stars on a warm night. A dreamy haze. If I tried wearing this to the office I'd probably fall asleep by 1 PM.

I can pick out all of those notes individually on me, but they blend really beautifully together. The cypress and fir come out the strongest for me, but just barely. The moonflower, orris, and ambergris are coming in just beyond. Overall, I'd describe this as a silvery, night time in the woods scent. Woodsy, with pale florals, surrounded by this almost aquatic orris note. Very pretty, without being too delicate.

Laughing Seagull nailed it with the Nocnitsa comparison. They're really similar fir scents, but Nocnitsa is juicier and Scimitar is more creamy and lunar smelling. It brings to mind a forest clearing with a small pond, where an enchantress is bathing in the light of the moon. 

I wish I got a little more moonflower, but it's still a beautiful forest scent and I'll enjoy my decant.

This is nice. The evergreen is much more mellow than Vintage Snowman Blowmold. I dont really read orris, cypress, or ambergris, but it does have a soft around the edges feel but with pops of evergreen. I do get some moonflower, but agree with PumpkinGuts more moonflower would've been wellplaced. I'll keep the decant but don't need more.