Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Orodemniades

Spice me, baby! The spiciest BPAL blends

Hokay. It's taken 5 months, but my bottles of Snake Oil, Silk Road, and Morocco are finally seeing some use and actually smell good on me. Yay! I can't believe how different Morocco and Snake Oil are now that they've had a chance to age. I guess a mere few weeks wasn't enough! Will order new bottles for next year soon.

But.

Now that the cold weather has started, I needs me some spicy goodness now. Oils that have worked on me so far include Snake Oil, Morocco, Silk Road, Haunted, Athens, and Dracul.

And then, there are the oils that just went wrong. :P I speak of Spellbound, Rakshasa, and Sin. Anubis looks like it might be going the same way, but we're undecided as of yet. Shanghai, Imp, and Black Phoenix were okay, but there were notes to them that I didn't care for.

I guess what I'm really looking for are longlasting spicey scents with good throw. Some of the non-BPAl scents I'm wearing that are spicey are Ava's The Noir and Incense Musk. I have a big bottle of Urd, but I'm ageing at the moment...

So, any recs?

Oro

Edited by ivyandpeony
added search terms to subtitle

I would def rec Jack....spicy, buttery goodness....

Also, Scherezade and Serpent's Kiss.....all deliciously spicy and wonderful for cool winter months ahead :P

Scherezade!

It's dry, spicy gorgeousness (very much red musk), and it seems from the reviews that a lot of people who liked Morocco also liked Scherezade.

Besides, it's mentioned regularly in the "scents to knock men off their feet" thread, so, you know, it's a must-have :P

I love me some Bengal. I want to layer it with everything.

Yep! Bengal is spicy deliciousness! :P Al Shairan is great, also!

Wrath. Cinnamon and clove, with what I think is jasmine underneath. It's very warm and red, and it's definitely long-lasting with good throw.

I'm going to have to second Bengal and Al-Sharain. They are fabulous, and if you loved Silk Road, you will love them. Bengal is what I was hoping for from Silk Road - Bengal is much more spicier and warm without being dry the way Silk Road was on me.

Yup, I agree....I'm a spicy girl (love snake oil and anything with spice)

Bengal - this is a "hot" scent...as in a sweeter skin with a jalapeno type bite, not a huge smell, not pepper like black pepper, but sweet hot....very nice for layering as well.

Al Sharain - lovely if you like the clovey spicyness, again sweet spicy, but very distinguishible clove/cinnamon spice and just a lovely golden background.

Tintagel - this is a junipery spicy that is just wonderful. Smells much better on than in the bottle.

Hamadryad - good through and nice and spicy, it reminds me of the type of spices you get with apple pie...cinnamon barkish...

The Lion - this is barely spicy, just soothing, ambery with a rush of light cinnamon.

Dee - this feels spicy to me, spicy, perfumy, leather.

I find if you want something interesting, layering the spicy scent works great.

I love to layer spicy with severing and florence...a little al sharain or hamadryad with florence is like red moon! Tintagel with a floral tones down the pine but leaves the cinnamon. Bengal is good with just about anything!

Scherezade is very warm and spicy, incense-y too. You'd like it if you like Silk Road, so I'm told. I haven't tried Silk Road yeat but many people draw comparisons to them.

Chimera is spicy and warm cinnamon. I could see it working for winter as well as spring. Not candy-ish, but maybe more like baked goods.

I'm looking for a Chai-like scent myself, and I'm expecting some good spicy scents in the mail soon so I'll add those on here as well. What did you think of Dracul?

I love Dracul, but it's very strong! I think it's an oil that needs ageing, as it's pretty raw when new. I mean, I wore it anyway, but still!

Oro, stepping aside for Bluestar :P

Sounds like maybe Rose & Almond might be issues for you?

Shame Sin didn't work out for you... it's one of my favorites!

Anything with Red Musk is TEH WIN, I think. (see also: Schrerzade... amazing AND long-lasting) It's musky, it's slightly spicy. Totally sexy.

I'd also recommend:

Lust

Kabuki (untraditional spicy–anise!)

Wrath (spicy like the Big Red gum)

Bengal (which doesn't last too long on me)

Golden Priapus (similar to Snake Oil with more "wood" huh hhuh huh)

Chimera (also spicy-cinnamony)

The Lion (I found this to be a bit too "dry" smelling for me)

Maybe also Kathmandu, but it's been a while since I've tried out my imp.

Hi Oro. Sounds like you and I have similar tastes. Just based on that, I'd suggest Snake Charmer -- it's not a super spicy blend, but it's similar to Snake Oil and quite wearable.

In the spicy category, I third (fourth?) the rec. of Bengal and would also suggest Baghdad and Sri Lanka. I think you'd love Bengal -- it's the closest thing I've ever smelled to a cup of chai tea. Other possibilities would include Red Devil, Jack and Sybaris. And if you can get your hands on some Hexxenacht, I can see that working for you as well.

Can I get some recommendations for very spicy bpal scents? I've found I'm more in love than I even realized with black pepper and cinnamon and the like, especially when paired with musk.

I seem to like things that are dusky and spicy smelling, things that make me think of middle eastern fairy tales...

I enjoy spicy dark scents too (and somewhere there is a thread with recommendations in response to my plaintive request for help in finding more).

Some that you might like:

Faustus: warm, deep, cinnamon, plus a touch of incense. It supposedly has violets too, but I don't get that. It is wonderful, a nice autumn/cool weather scent.

Gomorrah: fruit and spices of the east

Cairo: also fruit at the start (figs, maybe?) and many delicious spicinesses. Very lovely.

I loved The Sleeper but it was a LE and is discontinued--more in the opium dark perfume range. You might find some in the swaps.

Lust is spice and goodness (or wickedness)

You might just do a search for cinnamon and see what comes up.

Baghdad might be to your taste too.

(I will now be haunting this thread seeing what the more experienced recommend to you!)

Blood Moon (super cassia/cinnamon musky wonderfulness), Bengal (spicy like chai tea), Chimera (honeyed vanilla cinnamon) and are my spicy faves, though I wouldn't classify the second two as musky. Silk Road is a great spice and green grassy scent, which really envokes the east for me, but might not be dark enough for you.

Scheherazade is a very pouplar middle eastern spicy musk scent.

And Three Witches is a pure spice blend, though its an LE (pepper, clove, cinnamon). It didn't work for me, but many spice lovers swear by it.

Can I get some recommendations for very spicy bpal scents? I've found I'm more in love than I even realized with black pepper and cinnamon and the like, especially when paired with musk.

There are a few of these listed in the pinned recommendation section:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=1531&hl=cinnamon

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=10677

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=10163&hl=musk

Check out Bengal, Silk Road, and Baghdad in the Wanderlust section.

Three Witches was a great one, though it was discontinued, and rereleased for a limited time, so it may be harder to come by.

Using the search engine on the BPAL website, searching for +black +pepper turns up

Wrath as a possibility.

Searching for cinnamon brings up: Sin, Harlot, Chimera, Al-Shairan, Eclipse, Highwayman, Umbra, Inferno, Bloodlust, and Faustus to round out the list.

Some great recs here - I'll be following this thread myself!

You might want to try using the BPAL search engine to look for saffron, too. That spicy note turns up in several of the dark and musky blends, including one of my favorites, Oblivion.

For black pepper, you absolutely must track down some Tell-Tale Heart. I know it's a LE that's gone now, but there should be some floating around in the swaps or on eBay. It's got black pepper and allspice over a lovely musky/earthy base, with a touch of cocoa to smooth and sweeten it, and I love it. It's probably my second favourite LE ever, after Red Phoenix which is also spicy goodness (cassia, musk, plums and incensey notes), but very hard to find these days.

Others:

• Chimera - gorgeous cinnamon incense with a honeyed overtone
  • Vixen - ginger over orange blossom and patchouli, plus I'm pretty sure there's some musk in there even though it's not listed.
  • Absolutely Scherezade - it's the quintessential spicy Middle Eastern scent.
  • Sin is a dead sexy cinnamon/amber/patchouli mix, and I practically have to beat people of both genders off with sticks whenever I wear it.
  • Frumious Bandersnatch doesn't list cinnamon as an ingredient, but it certainly smells like it to me. It's sort of like Red Phoenix Lite.
  • The Lion is a lovely, warm spiced amber.
  • Lampades, Tintagel and Blood Amber aren't as spicy as the others listed, but they do have some spice to them, and are all quite nice.

Oh yes. White Rabbit is really nice--has pepper in it, and honey I think. I don't think of it as a dark intense scent, but it is a beautiful one.

I swear! You must try Bengal at some point! If you like spicy spicy, you will love it. You don't have to get it now, but definitely put in your queue for the future!