Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A scent for all rabble-rousing, nose-thumbing reprobates: black plum, champaca flower, dark musk, patchouli, narcissus and scorched sandalwood.

In the bottle and first on my skin, this actually reminded me quite a bit of gummi bears. It had a wonderful, fruity sweetness. But these would be gummi bears with an edge to them. These are purple gummi bears that are wearing a sexy musk fragrance. The sort of gummi bears that might sell themselves on a street corner for fun (no, I haven't been getting much sleep lately).

After about ten minutes, this one gets much muskier and spicier on me. My mother sniffed it and said that it was too spicy for her tastes. It rather smells like pepper and patchouli to me, but with a heavy dose of smoky musk in the background. I do not really detect the fruitiness anymore, though there is a lingering sweetness that seems like the remnants of plum.

After a half hour the muskiness has settled down (but it is still the focus of the blend on me) and this is started to smell sweet again, along with some of the sandalwood coming out. Black plum and woodsy, slightly powdery sandalwood.

This is pretty strong on me and has a lot of throw for the first hour, but it calms down considerably after that. It still has a lot of throw, don't get me wrong, but is more subtle and closer to my skin. I'd classify this one as a spicy musk with a hint of elegant fruitiness on me. It actually smells more grownup and isn't as sweet or playful as the perfumes that I tend to favor, but I do really like it, especially in the first ten minutes or so. I wish that it would keep more of that initial sweetness and fruitiness. Edited by quantum spice

I was so excited when I saw the notes listed for this one, that even if there was no statue I think I would have paid this much for a 10 ml bottle of this!

Black plum, champa, dark musk, patchouli and sandalwood are pretty much the Who's Who of scents that I can't live without...narcissus is not typically my friend, but let's see if the dark purple fruits and incense can smother it, eh?

Oh yes, bliss and heaven. In the bottle this is very incensy and I smell that dark juicy purple plum that I love so much (the one in Blood Countess and Red Phoenix). I think that the narcissus is actually serving to lighten this up and to help keep all of the elements in the air, as it were, without turning things floral.

On my skin, WOW. This is the ultimate incense! Actually at first it reminds me a little of my favorite GC blend, Urd, but without the muscadine. And it slowly slides into something like Red Phoenix, without the cinnamon.

This is actually so multilayered and complex I can't predict what it's going to do next. It's very much that deep, soaked-in incense smell that you get in a room or in fabric when you've been burning nag champa for years and years ... combined with the fresh scent of loose, blended incense in an occult or hippie shop. And that is the scent that I crave, all the time. That's what I want to bring with me everywhere I go.

Thank goodness this came in a 10 ml. :P The way Seamus is holding onto it it's like he's saying "Mine! Mine! You can't have it!" and yeah, that's the way I feel, too! :D

BPTPHellion.jpg

Here's what some call a "spolier" pic of the statue and bottle and stuff: http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL202/154131...8/125155044.jpg

In the bottle

*is excited*

Smells so addictive. Spicy, incensey, fruitiness.

On

I smell the plum, dark musk, patchouli, narcissus (lightly ont he narcissus but present) and the scorched sandalwood is out of my mind wonderful.

30 minutes

It dries down to a more thick black plum with scorched sandalwood scent. More foody than when wet. A bit different now, not as tangy, muted now, but just as good.

Throw:

Yes, a bit.

Scent category:

Incensey/Spicy/Fruity

Summary

This smell slike 'Noir" mixed with "The Cracked Bell" a bit...but more complex than that really. It is good, real good. :P

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

I was so thrilled to get this in the mail before I left for a trip, and I tore into the packy right away, and was delighted to discover I am 9 out of 300. I love Seamus!

And Hellion....oh, this could be my best scent ever. Sarada is right--this is the ultimate incense scent. In the bottle I have a really hard time picking out notes--it is like sweet incense, and yes, there is that sweet powdery note that I identify with Nag Champa incense, and while I'm not entirely sure about this, I believe Champaca flower is used in that incense.

On, it gets both more spicey and softens. I could have sworn there was cinnamon in it, because it had that level of spice, but there isn't any, and on the second wearing I don't really get a cinnamon note, though there is some spice. I can definately pick out the musk, which is usually sweet and slightly powdery on me. The plum comes out as this dries, and it is that ripe sweet full plum of Red Phoenix, as Sarada noted, and there are some similiarities in the two scents, though I much prefer Hellion (and I like Red Phoenix quite a bit).

I adore this, though I do wish it had more throw. Its sticks pretty close to the skin. But I do have a 10 ml. bottle, so I can slather away.

As I was packing tonight, I said to the BF, what perfumes shall I bring? Hellion, was his immediate reply, so it is absolutely a success here.

Thanks Beth--I adore Hellion!

So.. with a certain someone becoming my enabler and fueling my addiction..

And with my LJ becoming a place to track purchases and waiting.. and desiring of more..

Two other friends decided to surprise me with Seamus.. And he's clutching a bottle of Hellion.. all for me.

I *adore* this scent on me.. its slightly fruity with a hint of spice and mischief.. its light, and playful, but slightly wicked smelling. Its got a strong throw at first that mellows after a few hours into becoming a teasing hint of fragrance.

So yes.. if i wear this out, it may require reapplying.. but when its just for me.. well.. I think thats between Seamus and I.

# 31 / 300 for the curious. :P

In the bottle : Reminiscent of Red Phoenix, probably the black plum & patchouli, but the dry spicyness (cassia?) of Red Phoenix is not there. Hellion still definatly has spicyness to it, but smells sweeter out of the bottle.

Wet on skin : sweet, spicy, dark musk, nag champa incense

Dry on skin : spicy, but much more mellow -- ripe black plum, dark musk, nag champa incense and the scorched sandalwood is in the backround and doesn't overwhelm the other notes.

Conclusion : This smells like the best incense ever made!!! :P I am in love with this blend. I'm so glad that I caved and bought both statues. I'm definatly hoarding Hellion. Thank you Beth & the trading post, I'm so happy w/Hellion & Seamus :D

Edited by blackheartedangel

At first this smelled quite like Queen of Spades initial phase on me - a little too fruity sweet, bordering on bubblegum, but that note quickly fades and it becomes a sweet, dark plum and incense scent. Interestingly, very little throw on me. I just had to put some more on. And now I can smell the sandalwood much more strongly, and the spices and plumminess - just, yum. I wasn't convinced I would keep this until I put on that second drop - changed the scent entirely. This is verrrry sexy. It has the same feel as "Noir" but doesn't smell quite the same (at least, doesn't smell quite like my long-faded memories of what noir smelled like). The sandalwood is very grounding, and gives it an earthy sexiness. The patchouli in here smells almost like patchouli blossom to me (or at least, smells like a candle I have that is supposed to smell like patchouli blossom) - it is not at all overwhelming, just adds some oomph to the blend.

#30/300! :P

Seamus is the cutest thing ever, and I adore Hellion! I can see the similarity to Red Phoenix initially. On me it's a bit creamy/sweet with the patchouli just peeking out in the back, giving it an earthy smell. As it dries, I get more of the plum, just a hint of fruitiness. It reminds me a bit of the plum from Queen of Clubs (which I love too). It stays close to the skin, but is a very sexy scent indeed!

#5 of 300

The first thing i get, both in the bottle and on initial application is the Plum. I agree that it does smell allot like the fruitness i get from the Queen of Clubs, but not as sweet. Right after application, however, it moves into the background. From then on i et a spicy incense blend with a little fruit underneath. The longer I wear it, the more the woods and spices come out. I also get a little champaca flower, but i blends in so well that i have to really sniff for it to smell it. All in all this is a great blend. I am glad it came in a 10Ml.

Oh my my, oh hell yes. This is the scent I was looking for without even knowing I was looking for it.

This is the smell of my years as a card-carrying Goth, going out of my way to unnerve my parents and co-workers and anyone else I could get to pay attention to me, DJing until 4:00 in the morning, smoking cloves, fake hair, lots of eyeliner, fishnets, boots that make you a foot taller from the platform alone, incense, KMFDM with the knob at 11, and a fog machine that never quits.

When I first put it on, it's a lush smoky blend of plum and champa, with the musk and patchouli swirling around on the bottom, much like the aforementioned fog machine. As it dries (and hours later) this is THE champa incense I used to burn in the club because I loved it so much at my favorite off-the-beaten-path clothing store in downtown Detroit. RIP, Showtime, you were loved.

Anyway, this is smoky and dirty and downright sexy. And it lasts forever too. I put a very small amount from the cap on the top of my hand last night to test it and it lasted through sleep, a rough workout, and a shower this morning.

Mmm. MMMMM!

HELL YEAH!

This is THE scent!!! I am so miserable cuz I haven't been able to smell for 7 days straight. I've had horrid sinus problems (have an appt soon to get help - hopefully), but today I took a double dose of my decongestants to try to get a moment of being able to breathe and smell and it worked.....I could smell for about 2 hours and I had on Hellion! This is da BOMB. I love this shit. Dark musk and plum love my skin and this is perfect. I don't know how to explain it other than being in the same addictive category as Snake Charmer & The Cracked Bell. They are all those sort of deep, lovely scents that get tons of compliments each time I wear them. I'm promptly off to buy another statue, as I must have another bottle of this before it's gone. I'm addicted. It's mesmerizing, sexy and so "non commercial". It's so me!! I'd say it's Snake Charmer's and The Cracked Bell's little rebel cousin............a real rebel rouser it is.

In the bottle: patchouli with an almost boozy tone.

On: This is spicier than I anticipated - at first, it's a dark fruity-spice scent on me, quite similar to Malkuth. I tend to have color associations with scents, and Hellion definitely strikes me as a dark red or a plum.

I tend to wear scents out of season, so even though this strikes me as rather autumn/winter with all it's warmth and spicy goodness, you'll probably find me wearing it more during summer.

#2/300!

OH HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. <--- that pretty much sums up my entire review.

Wet; this smells dizzyingly fruity & incensey & spicy and even vaguely leathery, though there is no leather note. I swear it smells like cinnamon + cherry incense. klfdshag!

Drying: ok it's not cherry it's plum, DUH. The scent becomes a little less outstading. The sandalwood & floral notes come up to the foreground. It's a sweetened sandalwood, slightly flowery (not bad AT ALL), slightly dusty and powdery.

This is sexy sandalwood with a spicy kick. It is so beautiful and right up my alley. I'm glad this came in a 10mL bottle, and now I'm contemplating another!

Ah, Hellion. :contented sigh: If the Queen of Spades and Blood Moon tangoed just once for 'old time's sake,' Hellion would be that dance.

This is like a dream team of notes for me: patchouli, plum, musk, sandalwood...yum. The narcissus here gives it a little bit of edge, but isn't prominent on my skin. It's just a gorgeous incensey blend that's so rich it's almost like wine-colored brocade.

I love the plum here for the same reason I loved it in the QoS; it adds a sumptuous depth and texture. I agree with sarada, there is a resemblance to Urd here, as the combination of the patchouli with the fruit note is similar in feel.

The overall effect is dark, mysterious, sexy. I'm lovin' Hellion, and if I wasn't saving my pennies after splurging hard core on the last update, I'd try to get another bottle because this is good stuff, and I think it will age nicely to boot.

Yay, I get to try Hellion! Pretty color in the vial--dark red-orange, very rich. OMG, this is fabulous! This reminds me of Queen of Spades (which I'm low on and adore) crossed with Black Phoenix. I never knew how much I loved plum + incense 'til I tried QoS, and those notes dominate here as well. However, with QoS the plum lasts throughout, whereas with Hellion there is a bright burst of plum that quickly dries into a deep, mysterious patchouli/musk/sandalwood/incense base. Very complex and warm. QoS is more feminine, though, whereas this is gender neutral. I think they would layer well. I may play around with that later. This is a good one; I'll wear it for class tonight and see if I can think of some hell to raise. :P

#102/300 (I think)

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Red Phoenix + Incense!

In the imp: Sandalwood, plum, musk and patchouli. Strangely, they smell good.

On skin, wet: I have to agree about the similarities to Red Phoenix, which is a good thing, as much as I love RP. While I don't usually dig heavy incense, so far Hellion's like Red Phoenix plus... some heavy incense-y scent that I can't think of right now. There's also the sweet plum, which I never got in Red Phoenix.

On skin, dry: If you haven't gathered already, I love Hellion. Spicy and musky and incense-y without being sharp or bitter. No sign of champaca, the dark musk plays nice, the patchouli is earthy, but not dirty, and the sandalwood doesn't try to choke me.

Conclusion: As with La Fée Verte, I wanted to hate Hellion. But, I don't.

Edited by Aredhel

In Bottle: Sweet patchouli

On Skin: Oh no, the patchouli is taking over this one. My skin and patchouli always seem to be at battle. This patchouli is very dark. With the musk and sandalwood, there is a dark woody and smoky note. The plum helps sweeten it a little, but it doesn’t hide the telltale note of patchouli that bugs me. While it is an interesting scent, it’s not one I’d wear. But I do like the mood it creates. After about 15 minutes, the scent starts to melt into my skin better. The patchouli isn’t as strong, but is still more of an incensey blend. I’d really like my husband to try it if he can get past the initial strong patchouli. After an hour, it becomes a beautiful, warm soft scent. WOW! But it only lasts about another hour and vanishes. If this had better throw and longer staying power, I think I’d get a bottle.

Edited by slave1

In the vial: slight patchouli but mostly a spiciness.

On my skin: I definitely detect the patchouli (it's a no-no scent for me, usually) but in Hellion it's light and creamy and not offensive. It's a nice "base" to the scent. The thing I get most is a playful spiciness and some incense and wood notes. I also occasionally get a whiff that reminds me of Red Phoenix. Maybe it's the black plum? In any case, it's a gorgeous scent and I'm so glad I got to buy an imp of it.

I gave this 3.5 out of 5 stars. I'll keep the imp and cherish it, but probably won't scramble to buy a bottle or anything.

hellion.jpg

Imp: Bright purple fruits and smoky sandalwood.

Wet: When this hit my skin it deepens immediately. From the imp, i got the gummi bear impression mentioned above. But on my skin, its a rich spicy plum. The patchouli and musk are deep, but they are sweetened and elevated by the sweeter dark plum and some deep blooms.

Drying: The deepness of this blend is reminicent of chocolate, though i know thats not a listed note. Its smokey, dark, sweet. The patchouli and plums grow stronger with time, but I've learned to embrace beth's patchoulis. The combo is lip-licking sexual goodness! The florals are slightly powdery, but slight--I'm not a huge floral fan, small amts of flowers are good, and these simply work to balance the blend. The late drydown is plum musk and a hint of dirty sexy patchouli. this has medium throw and reasonably good staying power (6ish hrs on my thirsty skin).

Overall: This is a gorgeous insensey plum musk. I can see the comparisons to Red Phoenix, but Hellion is sweeter, fruitier, and I like it much better--the sweetness makes it more...inviting. Ididn't get nearly this much gorgeous plum outta red phoenix.

This is SEXY. Sweetly tempting, lecherously earthy, and ssssmoldering.

Edited by jewelbug

Imp

Creamy, spicey, with a woodsy and darker musk twinge. I also get a small sweet, perfumey note. There is something familar.

Wet

Ah. Patchouli. Behave. So far so good. Shaking fist. Tone down. Please.

Dry

The patchouli has settled the stingiest smidge possible but my skin also has the propensity to amp sandalwood so it is a creamy patchouli. I *love* the scent, yet it might be too instense for me to wear.

It is fantatically spicy and creamy but I am not getting the sweet I smelt in the imp. My husband did find it very sexy.

#81/300

Sweet, dark, spicy incense! Oh I love this. I haven't really found a BPAL that smells like burning incense to me, but this is it.

I don't find it that similar to Red Phoenix, except for the overall darkness and the plum. This is spicy on me, but it's more of a rich, smoky pepper smell than cinnamon like RP.

Thankfully, the plum is subtle and I can't detect the narcissus at all.

I'm so glad I caved and bought this.

Though this is all sweet plum in the bottle, on application is musk and smoke, sweetness and earth. It's well balanced--I can barely pick out individual notes.

As it dries, it gets a little lighter, but retains the lovely note of burnt sweetness. The base of it reminds me, actually, of Sugar Skull, but the other complexity added by the other notes lends it splashes of purple and gold. Definitely a keeper.

Dagnabbit! I did not need to love Hellion. I'd already fallen hard for La Fee Verte. I like the scents but frankly I really don't dig that they're inseparable from the statues. I know, I know, everybody loves the statues, but I just don't. I suppose I won't have a hard time getting rid of them but still, I'd have preferred to choose to just get the scent. Anyhoo, enough ranting, but the point is Hellion ROCKS. I got thoroughly addicted to Hellion. I realized I'd like used a third of an imp in a week or something retarded like that. I broke down! Seamus is on his way... with his gorgeous scent!

I'm not sure what it is that reminds me of Snake Charmer within Hellion, but it smells in some weird way related. It's much sweeter and fruitier, but the deep under-scents are amazing. I think both Hellion and Fee Verte are just remarkable. I think Beth pulled out all the stops and used some truly top notch, incredibly wonderful ingredients (for example, the honey absolute in La Fee Verte has to be a really freaking expensive and quality ingredient, it lasts and lasts and smells so amazing). The one thing I don't mind about the packaging is the 10mL only. Otherwise I would have had to buy two anyway!

Disclaimer: I do have a cold, so if I find later that it's influenced my view of the scent, I'll come back and edit.

Initial application: Sweet plum and spices (something cinnamony), with an undertone of incense. It's actually almost... chewing-gum-like.

Drydown: The patchouli and sandalwood make their presence known a bit more, but the sweet-spicy plum is still the most prominent note. I'm getting a bit of a plasticky-waxy note to it that makes it seem more like a room scent than a personal scent, but I'll try again when my cold goes away.

So far, I like it, but I think an imp will be enough.