Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Beaver Moon 2005

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. Because it was too hard to resist, BPAL's Beaver Moon is sillier, sleazier, and full of camp. This scent is of cheesecake and cupcakes, more in line with it's cheekier connotations, and really hasn't a damn thing to do with Luna at all!

mmmmm, red velvet cake, complete with the cream cheese frosting. yum. EAT ME! now i want some red velvet cake.

Yup, cupcakes!

Okay, not just cupcakes...cupcakes with a very distinct cheesecake/vinegar tang (a little sour with the sweet - you know what I mean,) but depending on your preference, you could just as easily interpret that as a scrumptious cream cheese frosting, which is what I choose to do. It doesn't go plastic-y on me, and stays kind of scarily true to theme.

This is foodie heaven.

I am delighted that with my chemistry, this fragrance does not vary at all — it starts out as frosted cupcakes, and stays frosted cupcakes thoughout the day. It's silly, sweet, and very definitely mouth-watering. Love it!

My boyfriend smelled it and declared that it would be nice to use this as a house scent, because then it would always smell like something nice was baking. He has a point...

Beaver Moon:

This is INDEED a foody scent! Full of fun, parties, birthday cakes....but thank goodness not full of calories!

Out of the bottle: the first thing that passes quickly (thankfully) is a hint of cherry/strawberry or red fruit. Another note on top of this somehow softens it and makes the cherry/strawberry hint much more creamier.

After an hour: still true to form in the bakery arena, now it has softened somewhat and I get hints of what could be perceived as graham cracker crust or even the thinnest part of the cake left in the pan that you slide your index finger across to scoop out. :P

in the bottle: frosting. sweet goey, homemade, wanna lick the bowl clean frosting.

wet: creamy, delicious. very much the same as in the bottle

dry: it softens a bit, but is still very creamy hand mixed, sugary, buttercream frosting. it almost makes me sticky just smelling it. there is a huge temptation to lick just a wee bit. but avoid this impulse as it doesn't taste nearly as good as it seems it should. (not that i did this :P ) this one has quite a bit of throw. and is gleep worthy (ya know when your mouth squirts that spit cause something is so appetizing yeah gleep). this i believe is my favorite lunar oil.

i am editting to let ya know about the staying power. i put some beaver on yesterday morning about 8 am and last night at 10 pm it was still going strong! wasn't even faint. i am very impressed w/ her staying power

Edited by shelldoo

In the Bottle: Smells like homemade buttercream frosting. Mmm.....very sweet. Makes me want something salty!

Wet: Still smells like buttercream, but a little stronger. Maybe if almond extract was added to the frosting.

Dry: On me there is the slightest hint of cinnamon and coconut. It smells like a really yummy cupcake.

I think I need to go make a batch of homemade coconut cupcakes!! :P

I'm getting the tang of vinegar along with the frosting in the bottle. Once I put it on, the spices come out to play, and I lose the frosting sweetness. This isn't a bad thing on me.

Just received Beaver Moon (plus Sol & generous frimps - thanks Lab!)

In the bottle: Vanilla laced naughty cream cheese... Smaggie? :P Do I also detect a bit of spiced rum?

On: Snappy spice lightly layered over the sweet vanilla cream cheese... but more butter-like now. A bit like a high-end white wedding cake.

I'm not normally a foody-scent wearer, but the overtone of Bengal/Morroco-like spice has me most intrigued, wondering if/how Beaver Moon will morph in an hour or so.

Also, love the art work & colors of the label! So much nostalgic and suggestive detail in so little space!! Brava!

-more later with ETA-

at first: oh my goddess! cupcakes with cream cheese frosting!

on: yup, cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. i don't know what else to say, really.

1 hour later: i really like the cheesiness of the frosting scent. this is wonderfully sweet and foody.

2 hours later: still sweet and like cupcakes, but with less cheese to it.

2.5 hours later: this is making me so hungry. it's unbelievable.

overall: i love it, plain and simple. i'm so glad i ordered it.

120670788.jpg

Bottle Pic: http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL202/154131...8/120671005.jpg

Ha! I love it. I had no idea this blend was meant to be camp until I saw the bottle than read the lab description on QS's post.

In the bottle

Good God. It's cheesecake. Just like the pin-ups were called in my Dad's day. Too funny. But really it's yummy smelling.

On

It smells like cheesecake ony my skin too. :D

30 minutes

It gets more cheesy as it dries :P I also smell a nice spice underneath.

Now I smell graham crust, golden crust. A definite bit of buttery crust such as in Sugar Cookie.

Throw:

A teeny bit more than average

Scent category:

Foody

Summary

At first it's more of a cheesecake icing, than it gets warmer and actually more cheesy as it gets drier and I even smell golden brown butter like when it's sizzzling in a pan. Mmm.

Purchase again?

Yes a 10 ml if there were such a thing, for now it's a hunt for another 5ml.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

4 Bravo.

Edited by UltraViolet

In the bottle, this smells exactly like cheesecake cupcakes, sweet and rich and intoxicating.

On first application, the cream cheese is less dominant, but the cake is still definitely there. It's less rich on me, but still stickily sweet.

Over time, however, Beaver Moon does what all super-foody scents tend to do on me--it turns faintly plastic, and disappears. (I wonder what exactly causes it. Vanilla of all sorts is okay on me, as is Sugar Skull. Weird.) I suspected this would happen, so I've already promised my bottle away to a friend. I'm glad I bought the bottle, though, because just sniffing it was delight enough for me.

In the bottle: Sweet, sweet, sweet. I feel like I've walked into a cheesecake and cupcake factory.

Wet: Pretty much the same as in the bottle. Well, ok... slightly more cheesecake scented, very sweet and creamy and totally edible smelling.

Dry (about 30 minutes after application): Mellows somewhat, though still positively craving inducing. I think I may need to find a place that has cheesecake because I want some in the worst way now.

Verdict: I don't wear overly sweet foody scents as much as I should considering my love for them, but this will be great every now and again.

In Bottle: Buttercream Frosting.

On Skin: It smells like cake, sweet rich cake and frosting. I LOVE it! This could be my favorite lunar yet… As it develops there is a sweet spice to it and it loses a little of it’s buttery fullness. I like it in the bottle more than on my skin, but it’s still a DELICIOUS scent.

MMMMMMM ........cheesecake with frosting. This is very light and I really need to slather, but this is quite yummy. I had people walking in my office all day the day I wore this saying that something in here smelled really good. Beaver Moon. Decadent and wonderful.

Beaver Moon is my first "must slather" scent. I want to smell like this all the time. The good thing is that this scent lasts forever. I put a healthy dose of it on yesterday afternoon and I still smell wonderful.

It smells like vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and sugar sprinkles. I believe this is the first time I've actually gotten vanilla from one of Beth's scents. Usually, it's non-existant. After resigning myself to a vanilla-less life, Beaver Moon came along. :P

I'm going to stock up on this one.

i'm not really a foody scent kind of girl. but i orderd the Beaver because i want all the moons and i put it on and :

i smelled like Junior's Cheesecake *exactly*. and it's got some serious throw! my arm was down by my side and i kept getting whiffs of cheesecake. it's GREAT!

i won't be hunting down anotehr bottle, but this is going to be perfect for holiday parties and parties where there's a bunch of people eating and the like.

ETA: when i wrote this reveiw, i tried it on my arm. last night i had a yen for Beaver Moon so i swiped some on with a wandcap along my clavicles. whoa mama! way more intense. this sucker has got SERIOUS THROW. also, it LASTS. i suck up a lot of skin scents, but i put this on at 9 pm last night, and this morning when i woke up i could still smell it. and not just "smell it a little". i could smell it wafting up from my clavicles.

so, a little dab'l do ya.

on the 17th of december i have two holiday parties to go to. i'm wearing this, no question about it!

oh, and whoever wrote that thing about the graham cracker crust? totally. about two hours after i put this on, graham cracker crust.

i also want to say that it doesn't really smell like Junior's CHeesecake. it smells like taking a fresh cheesecake straight out of the oven. warm, still kinda gooy, grahamcrusty goodness, cheesecake.

ETA:

i did end up wearing this to two parties on 12/17. about 3 hours in, i was on a subway platform in brooklyn, waiting for the train to go to party #2 when i began thinking about this Boston Cream Pie (a vanilla cake with custard and chocolate icing) that i'd made for my birthday one year. and then i thought about the vanilla cake with mocha buttercream i'd made for the BFs birthday this year.... and then i realized that Beaver Moon had finally given me that cupcake smell!

DELICIOUS.

n.

Edited by zenvodunista

In the bottle, this was unbelievable creamy cheesecake and a rich creamy vanilla cake-batter-like scent. When I applied it, it stayed somewhat sweet and definitely creamy, but faded down more to what appeared to smell like the aforementioned cheesecake's graham cracker crust. Delicious, but not sure if it's me.

Yum! I'm becoming addicted to foody scents. :P

In the bottle and wet on me: sweet but with a hint of sour plastic

Dry down on me: All the sour and plasticy scent vanishes, leaving nothing but bakery-scented goodness. Vanilla, creamy icing or cheese, a hint of coconut to my nose, perhaps a faint whiff of lemon. Warm, comforting, delicious! I have to fight the urge to lick it.

Medium throw. Haven't worn it long enough to gauge its lasting power. A definite keeper!

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Waxy.

In the bottle: Ooh. Red velvet cake, cupcake batter and cream cheese frosting. Teeth-rottingly sweet, sugary, but with a bit of a vinegar-sour tang. Interesting.

On skin, wet: Cream cheese frosting and cupcake batter... candles. It has that faint soy wax smell on my skin, which is a very strange thing. Not digging this much.

On skin, dry: Spice? There's a slight spicy something beneath the creaminess here, just barely peeking through after an hour. If didn't have such a waxy quality on my skin, I'd really dig a cream cheese frosting/cinnamony scent like this.

Conclusion: This has great potential, but my skin just doesn't like it. It'll be finding a new home.

Edited by Aredhel

Mmm...This is wonderful. In the bottle it's a very warm, cake smell. Spicy and sweet at the same time with a definite hit of cream cheese or cheesecake smells.

Once it's on my skin, it smells just like red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. It's so spicy and delicious. I seriously want to gnaw on my own arm, but somehow I'm resisting.

I think I'm going to have to scare up another bottle of this. My second one is a gift for someone else. :P

I got the "oh, waxy" note that another reviewer got. In the bottle it smells amazing, like rich creamy buttercream frosting and a bit of graham cracker--overall it translates into a "whoa, cheesecake!" effect.

but on me, it smells like a graham cracker crust mixed with the plastic smell I like to call "l'eau du Michaels".

that depresses me greatly. i wanted buttercream frosting, not plastic graham crackers. :D

ETA: This works on me if i apply sparingly to my hair--i guess my skin doesn't like it but my hair does. :P

Edited by faifai

I love these new graphics on all the bottles! I liked the labels before, gothic and austere, but these are wackier and have more of a sense of humor.

In bottle: creamy butterscotch, yum!

On skin: instead of white wedding cake or pink cupcakes, I get more of a darker spiced cake.

Half-hour later: there's more cinnamon, but just a touch. It's not toothache sweet, and it's not too waxy or fake.

In conclusion: I didn't necessarily want to walk around smelling like a giant cupcake, but this acts like a variation on a foody scent -- not dead-on food, but reminds me of food (if that makes any sense :P). I'm glad to have a bottle!

Oh WOW... this is the yummiest BPAL ever.

Cupcakes and *sweet* vanilla cream cheese frosting. :P

I tried a tiny dab on my wrist the morning I got my little imp in the mail. Hours later I found myself buying the ingredients to make cupcakes as I bought my weekely groceries without even realizing why I craved them...

I had been fantasizing about baking the delicious BPAL cupcakes I had smelled all day on my wrist.

BEWARE *dangerous* BPAL- This scent will make you crave sweets! Wear it only when you are prepared to spend hours in the kitchen baking yummy treats for friends and family ....

I never thought any moon would ever top Milk Moon for me, but Beaver Moon has done it! I am in love love love with this one! Pink cupcakes, no doubt about it, sugary and fresh and rich. There is also a cheesecake scent, or perhaps cream cheese frosting, that is absolutely scrumptious. I can almost even detect the graham cracker crust. This one's just a big ol bakery love fest, this is the foody scent I have been waiting for. Needless to say, you would have to pry my 2 bottles of Beaver Moon from my cold dead hands :P Thankyou so much Beth!!!

I have to agree with quantum spice that the first thought I had when I smelled Beaver Moon in the bottle is Red Velvet Cake (one of my favorites). I kept sniffing. And sniffing. I can sense something creamy, almost vanilla like and sugary goodness of the cupcakes. I did the boyfriend test of "Here, smell this" and he agrees it is a great scent.

Dabbed some on my skin and let it dry. In some ways this reminds me of Midway, but this reminds me more of birthday party fun with icing all over the face and fingers, running around with your friends, and having a grand old time. Very playful scent.

Oh my goodness.

In the bottle: Beaver Moon smells exactly like walking into Cupcake Royale (a Seattle bakery that specializes in fabulous cupcakes). Cupcakes with buttercream frosting. The bottle should come packaged in a pink bakery box.

On my skin: Yep, cupcakes. Mmmmm, cupcakes!

After ten minutes: There's a faint undertone of cheesecake, but mostly it turned into straight buttercream frosting. I smell like an extremely sweet baked good. This can only be a good thing.

The next morning: There's still a faint smell of buttercream! Very long-lasting.

Beaver Moon is fabulous. It is everything I ever wanted (but didn't get) from scents like Gluttony, Midway, and Trick or Treat. It has not inspired quite the same level of "OMG must get as many bottles as I can now now NOW!" that Pink Moon did for me, but it's close. In fact, I think I will layer Beaver Moon and Pink Moon today, and see if I reach sugary pink perfume heaven.

-Jilli