Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ms. MSGirl

The Lowdown on Incense & Resin - The Best Recommendations

I'm getting a decant of Haigophobia, too! And like half the phoenixes, which I forgot to mention. It looks like it'll be a good crop no matter what.

I have absolutely fallen in love with the myrrh in This World, Where Death Reigns. Anyone have recommendations for myrrh-dominant blends that are not churchy incense?

I guess I should learn that when the first ingredient is Black Musk, I should just buy it and not ask questions.

I got Streets of Detroit for my son for Xmas, and of course had to try it, wow. It's amazing, I need my own. It was straight up incense, like the kind in The Diamond's Gong but stronger, to me.

He took it out and tried just a drop on, and I could smell it, and I was sitting about four feet away. zomg amazing.

I have absolutely fallen in love with the myrrh in This World, Where Death Reigns. Anyone have recommendations for myrrh-dominant blends that are not churchy incense?

Have you already tried Velvet and Chimera? Neither of those go churchy on me, and they're both great. Myrrh isn't the most dominant note—but I think they both showcase it well.

Velvet is really powdery on me - I had an imp that I held onto for at least two years and it never got better. For Chimera, I amp cinnamon horribly unfortunately.

Just messaged someone about a bottle of Golgothan Myrrh SN that they are selling and am tremendously excited :D

Edited by Myria Jean

You might like Little Egypt: Honeyed myrrh and sweet flag. It was a C2E2 exclusive in 2013, but seems to be easily obtainable. I've seen it listed on the forums. On me, it's a sweet powdery myrrh, and not churchy at all.

You might like Little Egypt: Honeyed myrrh and sweet flag. It was a C2E2 exclusive in 2013, but seems to be easily obtainable. I've seen it listed on the forums. On me, it's a sweet powdery myrrh, and not churchy at all.

Thanks! I will go look.

Edited by Myria Jean

I think the myrrh in Laudanum is really lovely. This is a love-or-hate scent depending on your skin chemistry, though! See reviews for both ends of the spectrum.

In Templum Dei is the most amazeballs incense scent (on me ... I realize that as with everyone YMMV) ... by far my favorite "new" BPAL blend in a few years and am already thinking "backup bottle" once I'm back to working full time and know I can afford to treat myself to something.

I'd also add Aureus and, once the Etsy page comes back if it's still there, NGIFR6.

And, though it's really hard to find, Judgment from the original Tarot ... though that's more "headshop" than "incense" but they can be one and the same.

I got very lucky with Velvet ... for some reason, while myrrh smells great on me when wet, it sometimes dries down to stinky sweat socks. Not always, but enough that I always know I'm taking a chance with a myrrh scent. Yet Velvet is in my top 5 of all time.

Aged Velvet is also phenomenal. I have a 10ml from maybe 2004 or 2005 and at this point, it's like the smoothest myrrh ever. So good.

I wouldn't describe it as an incense blend precisely, but the way the clove and frankincense work together in the current Weenie "La Rand Du Sabbat" is just gorgeous and is putting a whole new spin on frankincense for me.

Throwing up props for Pillar of Flame. It's a lovely incense based fragrance, showcasing labdanum. Plus I love the artwork and this thread needs a necrobump for all the incense loving peeps.

ETA, must add the Golden Champa single note to these recs also.

Edited by sprout

I've been really enjoying scents that read as fresh/light & incensey on me recently. I would love to know if there are any GC or recurring LE scents that have given you the same vibe :)

The Scales Of Deprivation, Paladin and Leo 2016 are three I'm really enjoying with that feel.

I've been really enjoying scents that read as fresh/light & incensey on me recently. I would love to know if there are any GC or recurring LE scents that have given you the same vibe :)

Paladin doesn't really "read" as incense to me despite the frankincense, but based on the blends you mentioned I can recommend a few!

Al-Azif - Smells like frankincense, smoke and syrup, but lightly so? Some people read it as tanning lotion, and I get that, but it was in a good way for me.

Heroine - Brighter than it probably sounds. Not too incensey to me, tart apple with a light musk and a bit of leather/amber.

Jacob's Ladder - An LE but it comes back pretty frequently It's just... dreamy. Golden amber with a bit of dustiness and a little needed sharpness from the ambrette.

Kubla Khan - I think this is the exact sort of thing you're looking for. Kubla is a light incense with the bright additions of tea, ginger and mandarin. Very pretty.

Lyonesse - This is one of the most popular GCs, definitely an incense-y aquatic with vanilla.

Vasilissa - I would put this in the same category as Paladin, but muskier. It's creamy vanilla but has resins mixed in (myrrh, amber, sandalwood).

Edited by Balame

Paladin doesn't really "read" as incense to me despite the frankincense, but based on the blends you mentioned I can recommend a few!

Al-Azif - Smells like frankincense, smoke and syrup, but lightly so? Some people read it as tanning lotion, and I get that, but it was in a good way for me.

Heroine - Brighter than it probably sounds. Not too incensey to me, tart apple with a light musk and a bit of leather/amber.

Jacob's Ladder - An LE but it comes back pretty frequently It's just... dreamy. Golden amber with a bit of dustiness and a little needed sharpness from the ambrette.

Kubla Khan - I think this is the exact sort of thing you're looking for. Kubla is a light incense with the bright additions of tea, ginger and mandarin. Very pretty.

Lyonesse - This is one of the most popular GCs, definitely an incense-y aquatic with vanilla.

Vasilissa - I would put this in the same category as Paladin, but muskier. It's creamy vanilla but has resins mixed in (myrrh, amber, sandalwood).

Great recs thankyou! Al Azif and Kubla Khan have bounced straight into my cart and I've joined the waitlist for Heroine :) Will definitely keep my eye out for Jacob's Ladder too as it sounds divine, think I've seen it pop up on Etsy once or twice.

Lyonesse is fantastic, it was one of my first blind bottles! I have to be in the right mood to wear it but love rocking it with my nautical cardigan in the rain :D

Thankyou for inspiring me to pull out my imp of Vasilissa and retry it too. Was really excited to try this first time around but must have been having a weird skin chem day as it went super weird. This time it was positively yummy so will definitely be trying a full slather soon :thumbsup:

The Scales Of Deprivation, Paladin and Leo 2016 are three I'm really enjoying with that feel.

under the mosquito netting and the contrast are 2016 lupers. not the recurring LEs you asked for, but possibly still easy to find either second hand or from a DSLE fairy (they are both listed as being available still!) they are gorgeous scents if you love frankincense.

other recurring scents that feel to me (and I love dark dark dark stuff, so what reads as light to me might be on the darker end for others) like light with incense are weenies All Saints (incense and pretty rose), Dia de los muertos and sonnet d'automne.

cathedral and in templum dei are both light and more straight-up incense.

ghosts and a specific aberration from the crimson peak line are beautiful and delicate with a suggestion of incensey resin happenings.

you might stumble upon an old phoenix anniversary, relics of herself, which is very light in feel, very much a waft of incense smoke.

I'd say coyote is light, but not bright (aka from lemon, if that makes sense).

ded moroz was gentle amber and woods, dusted with a pretty snow note.

have you tried elf with your paladin?

under the mosquito netting and the contrast are 2016 lupers. not the recurring LEs you asked for, but possibly still easy to find either second hand or from a DSLE fairy (they are both listed as being available still!) they are gorgeous scents if you love frankincense.

other recurring scents that feel to me (and I love dark dark dark stuff, so what reads as light to me might be on the darker end for others) like light with incense are weenies All Saints (incense and pretty rose), Dia de los muertos and sonnet d'automne.

cathedral and in templum dei are both light and more straight-up incense.

ghosts and a specific aberration from the crimson peak line are beautiful and delicate with a suggestion of incensey resin happenings.

you might stumble upon an old phoenix anniversary, relics of herself, which is very light in feel, very much a waft of incense smoke.

I'd say coyote is light, but not bright (aka from lemon, if that makes sense).

ded moroz was gentle amber and woods, dusted with a pretty snow note.

have you tried elf with your paladin?

Ooooh so many yummy recs :D thankyou! Those Lupers sound stunning, will definitely keep an eye out for them (blatant newbie question... what's a DSLE Fairy? :blush:). I love me some frankincense.

Have fallen completely in love with Sonnet D'Automne recently so very eager to pick up some more when I can. Have been thinking about grabbing some All Saints from Etsy as it didn't come back this year, so great to hear a rec for that :thumbsup:. Did grab some Dia De Los Muertos a couple months back but it was the crazy floral one (2007 I think?) so tempted to try it again if it comes back next year.

Really want to try some Cathedral when it comes back in stock, hadn't thought about In Templum Dei before though so will definitely go check out reviews. Mildly obsessed with the Crimson Peak line at the mo so will have a good look at Ghosts and A Specific Abberation. Just ordered Mother Ghost with my weenies as it sounded so different to anything in my collection and Crimson is officially my favourite BPAL now :heart:

Keep meaning to put an imp of Coyote in my orders and totally forgetting so thankyou for the reminder! I hadn't heard of Relics Of Herself or Ded Moroz but they sound absolutely beautiful!

Just tried Elf and Paladin... yup it's awesome :D Had a full bottle of Paladin sitting in my cart already but will have to slip a full Elf in there too now, curses. I really like Paladin with a dash of Dorian too if you fancy an experiment.

Thankyou so much for all the thoughtful recs guys.

Ooooh so many yummy recs :D thankyou! Those Lupers sound stunning, will definitely keep an eye out for them (blatant newbie question... what's a DSLE Fairy? :blush:). I love me some frankincense.

Have fallen completely in love with Sonnet D'Automne recently so very eager to pick up some more when I can. Have been thinking about grabbing some All Saints from Etsy as it didn't come back this year, so great to hear a rec for that :thumbsup:. Did grab some Dia De Los Muertos a couple months back but it was the crazy floral one (2007 I think?) so tempted to try it again if it comes back next year.

Really want to try some Cathedral when it comes back in stock, hadn't thought about In Templum Dei before though so will definitely go check out reviews. Mildly obsessed with the Crimson Peak line at the mo so will have a good look at Ghosts and A Specific Abberation. Just ordered Mother Ghost with my weenies as it sounded so different to anything in my collection and Crimson is officially my favourite BPAL now :heart:

Keep meaning to put an imp of Coyote in my orders and totally forgetting so thankyou for the reminder! I hadn't heard of Relics Of Herself or Ded Moroz but they sound absolutely beautiful!

Just tried Elf and Paladin... yup it's awesome :D Had a full bottle of Paladin sitting in my cart already but will have to slip a full Elf in there too now, curses. I really like Paladin with a dash of Dorian too if you fancy an experiment.

dsle is the dirty south lunacy event. there's a pinned thread for it in the top section of bpal chatter and I think there are often fb pages for the individual events (???)

my dia (2015?) is indeed quite florally compared to my other bpals, and i don't normally reach for florals, but the hint of creaminess from the candy and the smokiness made it complex and comforting and intriguing to my nose. it might not be your jam!

mother ghost is stunning. one of the CP scents I reach for the most. I hope you enjoy it. and yes crimson is AMAZING.

dsle is the dirty south lunacy event. there's a pinned thread for it in the top section of bpal chatter and I think there are often fb pages for the individual events (???)

my dia (2015?) is indeed quite florally compared to my other bpals, and i don't normally reach for florals, but the hint of creaminess from the candy and the smokiness made it complex and comforting and intriguing to my nose. it might not be your jam!

mother ghost is stunning. one of the CP scents I reach for the most. I hope you enjoy it. and yes crimson is AMAZING.

Ah of course, thanks :) I like my dia, it's just a bit "whoa jasmine". Keep meaning to try layering it with something more incensey/smokey. Yay! A few unknown quantities in Mother Ghost for my skin but have heard such wonderful things about it, I just had to blind bottle it.