Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I love the original Velvet, though at times, like in summer when the weather is crazy hot, I feel that it can be a bit heavy.

This is like a summer version of Velvet. The sandalwood is cool and light, even the cocoa seems a bit lighter. It feels just a touch sweeter too. I feel like the blend as a whole was brighter and less powdery for me as well. It is really nice.

This almost is richer than the original Velvet. The snow element is not so evident to me after initial application, but the sandal and choclate seem creamier, with a vanilla twinge. It is a gorgeous, cozy scent. I like it even more than the original.

I haven't tried the original Velvet, so I don't have that for comparison. I would describe Velvet Snow as a fuzzy sweetened chocolate scent. I get chocolate and myrrh the most. I cannot pick out the vanilla, but I suspect it's what's making it more of a chocolate, instead of cacao scent. Surprisingly, I'm not getting any sandalwood, instead more of a general fuzziness that supports the myrrh. Lastly, I do not get any snow. Overall, a mellow, comforting chocolate and myrrh scent.

I tested this last weekend, but I decided to test it again against the original Velvet before doing a review.

I do not own a bottle of Velvet, but I've kept the imp around to remind myself what it smells like. And I have to say that I vastly prefer this snowy variant of Velvet to the original. In the original, the myrrh is really strong on me and prevents me from loving it. In Velvet Snow, the snow tames that aspect of the scent, so that it is mostly snowy cacao, sandalwood, and vanilla on me. I feel like the cacao and vanilla really shine here. Even though all of these Snow on Snow scents feature the sweet Snow White snow note, the snow doesn't really remind me of Snow White. I think it's because the chill of that snow note, combined with the dry sandalwood, gives it the impression of the actual bite of cold air when there's snowfall, at least early on in wear. (And we lucked out here in the desert and got a little bit of snow on Tuesday! :woohoo: ) During my first test (prior to deathmatching the scents) , I did get what I believe was some coconut from the Snow White snow note, but it was very fleeting. And the cacao in this tends to drift in and out of the scent, being prominent more at some times than others.

I usually don't allow myself to get a bottle of a variant if I don't own a bottle of the original, but I'm debating a bottle of this one. In any case, the decant is a keeper!

Soft cocoa snow. Take a snow cone and drizzle some non-sweet chocolate syrup. Medium throw and wear length.

Velvet Snow wound up being a scrubber for me.  I could only tolerate it for about an hour.  I get a whiff of waxy chocolate for the first couple minutes and then it's all "snow," but it's not like the lab's usual snow note (which is sweet and slushy).  It reminds me of Windex, minty bathroom cleaner, and soapy ozone.  It's very chemical and plasticy smelling.  I wouldn't guess that this was supposed to be Velvet and it doesn't seem to have any Snow White in it either.

This has aged beautifully. It's 10° here but still no snow accumulation on the roads with beautiful sunshine and snow capped mountains so...I grabbed my decant to wear today. Snow White with cocoa and enough myrrh to dirty it up a bit. Gorgeous.

Edited by HerbGirl