Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This perfume is SO EMO. A pale, melancholy blend full of feels: white amber and oakmoss, bittersweet labdanum, ambergris accord, white tea, white lavender bud, guaiac wood, and carrot seed.

I really enjoy the cool lavender scents that the lab has done in the past, like To A Wreath of Snow, The Air and the Ether, and Schoenperchten. I also enjoy the herbal berble scent of carrot seed, so I slavishly ordered this immediately. I had some reservations regarding potentially heavy oakmoss or tangy amber going in, but thankfully unmerited.

Initial application was a sweetish ethereal lavender, tea, and the bpal ambergris, similar to the scents I mentioned above. Which I really enjoyed, v ghostly dreamy mentholic kinda sweet cloud.

During the drydown, the lavender n tea combo calms down. There's a pleasant dryish rooty herbal hint that becomes more apparent after as it dries, which I think is the carrot seed + wood + labdanum, which I enjoy and find interesting and mild combined with the still present quieted lavender tea ambergris. However i could see the drydown being kind of iffy for people looking a big snowy sweet lavender bomb. The scent has less throw as it settles down, but it's still working hard and repping the opening notes.

I find it very pleasant and wearable, somewhat androgynous, for both daytime and sleepytime. 

Win win hubba hubba, I'm pretty bonkers about this one, btw.

Recommended for handsome ghost dandies in gray velvet suits and perfuming your white lace parasol white listening to Madame Butterfly alone in a Victorian graveyard on an overcast day. 

Edited by Supertrooper Omni

The name and story of this scent drew me in immediately and the notes intrigued me. So glad I gambled on a blind-bottle!

At first application, the notes I pick up are pale amber, lavender, and white tea. It's a soft, slightly high-pitched scent, but still comes across as soothing in spite of the suggestion of angst. Some oakmoss appears in the background as it starts to dry and the blend becomes a bit more powdery. There was a moment on my skin where it threatened to go sharp and soapy, but that quickly passed. After it dries, the woody notes and ambergris come out and a lovely pale golden warmth appears under the ghostly melancholy. The oakmoss also becomes a more solid presence.

This is really lovely and different from anything else I already have. All of the notes are smoothly blended and even after the drydown and I must agree with Supertrooper Omni in the review above, this perfume gives off the impression of a sophisticated Victorian ghost. Who is SO emo.

I have a bunch of what I refer to as "Lilith Lavender" scents, and they are among my favourite for bedtime - I was hoping this would be a new one to add to that collection, and the scent from the bottle says I won't be disappointed - there is a lot of lavender going on here. 

On my skin, a clean herbal lavender blooms, with sweetness from the amber and richness from the labdanum. I was hoping for the ambergris to be forward, but I'm not getting it, or the carrot seed. Regardless, this is lovely. A perfect addition to my bedtime collection. Clean without being soapy - it's clean in more of an herbal way, with just the right amount of sweetness. 

Finally testing my long-rested decant this morning. This is an ethereal lavender tea scent. Light and airy, and slightly aquatic from the ambergris. It's too high pitched for me to wear as a bedtime scent, as I prefer deeper darker scents to guide my sleep. The overall scent is lovely, and upon drydown, it deepens somewhat. However, overall this is not one that I would reach for. 

Starts off with a sharp, herbal lavender and sharp, slightly lemony white tea and then dries down to lavender scented soap with a powdery, resinous amber & labdanum backdrop.  Turns more woody and warmly resinous on my skin over time with a hint of earthier oakmoss.  It becomes very amber dominant and quite powdery on my skin and I have ambers that I enjoy a lot more.  Not bad at all, but not a keeper for me.