Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Nightfall

A few months back, we took Lilith to see Rhys Darby perform his standup. The scent of a long-awaited, much-needed night out at a comedy club: bitter and sweet oranges, King mandarin, a swoosh of deep velvet musk, and blooming mock orange.

I was really interested in this and it's not at ALL what I expected. I was hoping for a nice zingy citrus whoosh with the musk, but it's a harsh orange blossom on my skin. I let it sit for a while, hoping that more subtleties would develop, but alas, this is going straight to the NOPE pile.

I don't have any other citrus BPALs in my collection, so I can't compare to anything else.

OOB, it's all tart and even bitter citrus peel, but on the skin the velvet musk quickly takes over. The citrus is hovering over the musk with a crispness, but the bitterness OOB fades. I don't expect the citrus will last long, but while it's here, it's a nice contrast and companion for the deeper musk. I don't get a ton of "blooming" mock orange floral at all, but it is sweetening the citrus a bit.

Not my usual musk scent, which is a good thing! I think this one will be a nice option in the spring.

EDIT: This has aged a little now, and this musk is swoon-worthy. The citrus is still bright and a little bitter up front, hovering over that lush, lush red velvet musk.

Edited by elissamay

I love citrus scents, but sadly, Nightfall is not for me.

It is a very bitter orange scent, and it smells like there's orange blossom or something orange blossom-adjacent in this, even though none is listed. And some orange peel. And the deep velvet musk is either red musk or very similar to it to my nose, also a no-no note for me. So it ends up being a bitter orange blossomy musk on me.

Woe. 😭

Edited by doomsday_disco

I think I was hoping for a citrus similar to Nightlife HG with this one -- a true citrus, with a bit of rindy, bittersweet bite to it. I do get a bit of that realistic orange in the decant, but the musk blooms quite a lot on my skin and overpowers the citrus. A little too musky and heavy for me.

Straight from the mailbox (I couldn’t wait)

Somehow I missed this one when it first came out and it wasn’t until the Liliths were about to be pulled down that I noticed it while doing one last “do I need anything???” check. 

I’m so happy I was able to grab this. I was also at the Rhys Darby stand up at the Largo, and am a massive OFMD fan so an orange/velvet combo was a no brainer. 

I was a little concerned seeing the reviews on how harsh this is, but so far I adore it. Yes, it is very orangey, but I’m now getting flashbacks to making my 40 orange cake. I’ll update this with a proper review once it’s had time to settle from the mail shock. But I now have the perfect scent to wear with my Old Navy uniform shirt and to the SDCC meetup!