Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Tunisian Amber, Beeswax, & Balsam

Here's one that smells much as I imagined---it's really an occasion of "It is what it says it is."

Smooth beeswax merges with a deep, rich, balsamic amber. A good deal of warmth suffuses this blend, from the gold of the amber to the honeyed sweetness of beeswax, but the balsamic note adds an acidic sauciness. 

I tend to amp balsam, but for this one, I smell a lot of it on the wand, as well.

Lovely, smooth blend for beeswax and resin lovers.

This one isn't as beeswax-heavy as some of the other menages with beeswax (such as Beeswax, Lavender, and Acacia Honey and Beeswax, Cedarwood, and Bourbon Vanilla). It features a somewhat smoky yet tangy amber note (it's not as weird as NAVA's limestone amber, for those who are familiar with that, but it does have a twang to it), and I agree with Casablanca's description of this being like a balsamic amber. It is backed by the beeswax, but the beeswax isn't able to tame the smoky or acidic aspects of the amber on me.

I don't think I'm particularly fond of this amber note, or perhaps I would have needed more beeswax to smooth it over. But I'm glad it wasn't a win for me, because I really don't need all of the beeswax menages. I haven't tried an amber from the Lab like this one before, though, so it's definitely unique.

Edited by doomsday_disco

I mostly get the dusty, golden amber and balsam, but the beeswax is there trying to bind the trip together. The balsam is tangy and sour on me, which is a bit jarring compared to the thick and sweet beeswax. I think I was hoping for more resin notes, but maybe this will smooth out and get more resinous as it ages?

I love this one. The amber and balsam (doomsday_disco is right, it does remind me of NAVA's wonderful limestone amber, except the addition of the balsam makes this a little sharper and tangier) blends beautifully with the beeswax.  The whole effect reminds me a little of the beeswax/olive oil/candle smoke combo in Hanerot Halalu, except richer and without Hanerot Halalu's fresh/clean feel.

I'm tempted to upgrade my sample vial to a full bottle just so I can wear this during Hanukkah. 

Honeyed amber. The beeswax is lovely in this, and definitely big throw of honey and amber. Good throw and wear length.

this one needs more love.  where my balsam peeps at?

i adore balsam and this one is toothsome and bitey,  super golden and resiny. it's gloriously radiant.  beeswax is such a great complement to balsam, creamy and sweet and adding to the golden glow while kind of blunting the sharper aspects of the resin. i love that pairing very muchly in no. 93 engine, and fans of that gc gem should definitely give this one a spin.

i can't totally track the amber in this because the balsam is SUCH A DIVA. but it's there, recognizably amber but unique.  it has a very interesting resiny tang to it that works really well with this set of notes. i'd like to find other blends with this amber in them for comparison though, because i can't completely tell where the balsam ends and the amber begins. 

i love it.  bottle, yes.  backup bottle, possibly! 

I've been utterly obsessed with anything beeswax and amber, and since I've never had an issue with balsam, I FS'd this pretty blindly (decant came, sniffed it, and promptly got a bottle order in thereafter). tbh I don't truly know what balsam is or how it smells on its own.... Is it the weird tang I first get when wearing this? Maybe? I've never had an amber act/smell like that so that's my thought. Anyway, it's a weird bite to start and then settles into that gorgeous golden glow that I LOVE. Just a touch sweet. Great throw, can't get enough of it.

This is another one I was gifted a sample of and afterward had to find a bottle one way or another. There's a local designer i've purchased beautiful caftans from, and the first time she brought one over, it smelled exactly like this. When I asked what the fragrance was, she told me "Vetiver"? Yes, it even gives me Two Sheep and Two Goats vibes. I know there's no vetiver in this, but maybe its the balsam? Not sure, but my reaction is the same. I love this so much! It's rich and tangy, the earthy notes mix with with the creamy beeswax while the amber gives a golden glow. I am so happy to have found a bottle of this addictive stuff.