Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Honey, Mahogany, and Incense Smoke

Wet: Intense, sticky honey.

Drydown: The honey disappears into a blandly perfumey scent that hangs very close to my skin.

Later: After about half an hour, I started smelling this wonderful intensely sticky honey incense smoke, and wasn't entirely sure where it was coming from. If I put my nose to my wrist, I still get something almost stereotypically oriental-perfumey, but the throw is SO FREAKING AMAZING. The mahogany lends a woody dryness to the incense, the honey gives it an intense sweetness, and the whole thing hovers on the edge of gourmand but doesn't quite fall into it.

This one is so beautiful!

A gorgeous, mature smoky mahogany comes out on me first, when freshly applied. A medium-dark honey sweetens the mahogany smoke, but honey doesn't stand out as the strongest note to me.

This is lovely. When I tried it among a million other blends, from the pooled decants of two people, this perfume didn't stand out as much. But this particular honey is such an elegant match to the mahogany smoke that it is getting a lot of attention from me now.

Sometime after drydown, I don't really pick up the honey anymore, but the smoky mahogany lingers in a delightful way. This does fade quite a bit later, but traces remain, in a skin-soft way.

A distinct top note of honey at first that disappears within 15 minutes and then I am left with a smoky scent that reminds me of my partner who smokes rolling tobacco. I like it but more for the emotional associations than the scent itself. 

I am unsure of how I feel about this Honey. The wet stage is full of sharp honey and a champaca incense, which gives it a powdery floral edge that I don't enjoy. As the honey and champaca calms down, the darkness of the mahogany wood and the smokiness of the incense begins to emerge. I like this stage a lot. It is pretty, sophisticated, but with sharp edges still. I think I would like this better with an incense that wasn't champaca?

Ultimately, this is a rare one where I will keep my low partial but not upgrade to a full bottle. I am curious to see if age softens this one or perhaps my tastes will expand to welcome it into my palate. There are others that have the things I love about Honey, Mahogany, & Incense Smoke, without the things I don't. A waggle of the thumb in the middle, neither up nor down.

Oh....my. I still have to finish testing all my Lupers, but I already know this one is a favorite, and I didn’t expect it to be such a stand-out! Honey works well on my skin, and this one is the perfect amount of not-too-sweet. It’s not overbearing at all, and simply functions to sweeten up the wood and smoke in a very well-balanced combination. Just what I like. Seriously, it’s a dream. 

at first i get a lot of honey and incense with a hint of mahogany. something in this is slightly animalic (no, not the honey), way in the back. after awhile on the skin the woods come out much more and it gets quite smoky. it's sweet, smoky and woody-it's kind of comforting and would probably be great in cold weather. 

I had to let this sit for a couple months because it was so gacky and high-pitched. It's calmed down a little, and now it smells like honey-sweetened cereal at first. After 20-30 seconds, the mahogany asserts itself, and yes, that is definitely *smoke* wrapped around it. It gets darker and sharper, and the honey fades more and more, as time passes, until it just leaves a slight funk on the mahogany and smoke. It definitely gets more interesting with time and not something you want to judge on immediate application!

I have to agree with @marared that I had to let this one sit for a few months before I was comfortable giving a review. Initially it was so sharp and screechy, and PERFUMEY, which was not at all what I was expecting.

The honey is sweet, and I love the combo with the smoke, and I don't really get the mahogany, but I feel it's lurking in the background, grounding it all. It really is a morpher, so I agree, don't judge straight out of the mailbox, or on initial application, because it really does develop into something beautiful.