Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Wolf Moon 2021

A fable in scent: bone-white sandalwood aged with beeswax and balsam, crushed grass and juniper berries, ambrette seed, and lupine musk.

This is one sexy wolf. I have a decant of Wolf Moon 2020 and the 2021 Wolf is a completely different scent. Last year's was very pine-forward. This year's is a warm sandalwood burnished by beeswax, which I thought was vanilla until I checked the notes. I get the grass and juniper when wet, but they quickly fade. The balsam and musk provide a soft cushion for the sandalwood to land. It is well-blended, smooth, masculine-leaning, nuzzle-worthy. OK, sorry for the cheez factor, but this is the scent Jacob from the Twilight Saga would have worn. 

Agree with everyone saying how this year's blend is so different from last year's!  I am getting a much more green/wood-forward scent than last year.  In the bottle:  I am getting dry grass, crushed greenish grass, and the balsam.  On, wet:   Getting something of an elusive green musk note and resins; definitely the juniper talking.  Drydown:  After a few hours, this amazing sweet grass note remains, with maybe a hint of dry wood.  Wish this was a little more musk forward but then again this will be a great Spring/Summer scent--not too heavy on the skin, not to much throw.  I would layer this with a more sandalwood-forward scent perhaps to bring out the deeper notes; this one feels like all midrange/high notes.

I don't think I've tried any of the previous Wolf Moons, but I decided to try this one because of the beeswax and balsam notes. But this is mostly about the crushed grass, so the wolf is more like a playful dog rolling around in the grass. The grass remains the dominant note for a while, backed by the musk, with a little juniper joining in, like there's a forest nearby. Over time, the scent becomes more resinous so that it is mostly sandalwood, musk, and some grass after a few hours. But the dry resins (which now have a bit of a bite to them) and musk (and perhaps what remains of the grass) are combining in a way to kind of smell like a I rubbed a pencil eraser on my arm, so it's not really for me. I didn't pick up on any beeswax, sadly.

If you're looking for a grassy resin scent, you might enjoy this Wolf Moon. I had to try this because I always feel the need to try the Lunacy blend when I order the matching shirt, but alas, this one doesn't have enough sweetness for me. I was really hoping for that beeswax.

Freshly on: Sweet green grasses, dried grasses, and a light whiff of balsam. This balsam is reading as a bit honeyed to me. Oh, this lists beeswax. I'm not getting beeswax, per se, but just a touch of honey. 🙂

I tend to amp balsam, so I'm glad it's reading as light on me. 

Dried: Grasses, with a green and slightly bitter grassy edge and a bit of airy sweetness. A faint resinous and balsamic quality forms a backdrop.

I haven't tried many of the moons, so I can't really make comparisons. But this reminded me of a greener Dead Leaves, Tunisian Amber, and Smoked Balsam. Tested from a decant that rested a few days.

A bit sweet, but also astringent. Vegetal like fresh-cut stems or a florist's shop. I like fresh, high sharp vegetal green. I don't love the Dead Leaves note and similarly didn't enjoy the bitter here. But I really liked where it ended - balsam spicy.

Wolf Moon 2021 is gorgeous!  Lots of green grass on a structure of sandalwood and balsam with just a touch of sweetness from the beeswax.  After a little while the warm furry muskiness and the ambrette nuttiness move in.  I'm not getting much juniper, which is good because it's a troublesome note on me.  Green scents hardly ever work on me, but this one is a keeper. 

This is very grass forward on me, reminiscent a bit of last year's  Wer Opfer Heut Zu Bringen Scheut which was very grassy with undertones of wood and nuts.  This one is a similar grass but the woody undertones here are smoother and less forest-y, thanks to the sandalwood and balsam. It swaps Wer Opfer's nuttiness for a slightly sweet pine-iness from the juniper berries. The beeswax and musk are present but very subtle, just kind of adding a bit of a feeling more than a recognizable scent. I agree that this is a playful frolicking springtime wolf more than a wintery predator.

Sweet grasses turn into a grassy sandalwood, balsam and a whiff of musky pine. Good throw and wear length.

It started off a clean grass green, not soapy but definitely fresh with a sprinkling of berries and woods. Faint citrusy lemon scent on me, could be the musk? It's not bad, but wow is the throw extremely low. I can't smell this at all unless it's right up to my nose. 

While this didn't live up to my expectation, I adore that artwork!

First hour: oh squishy grass! Just about the freshest, greenest, least fake grass scent I've ever smelled. Like when you crush a few blades between your fingers, freshly ripped from the earth, and a little bit of the plant's oils get on your fingers. Sweetly musky. Very nice. Great for spring. Kind of single-note grass. Interesting. What will this turn into?

Next hours: what the glorious fV(k is on my wrist? Something that smells like what I wanted Thorns Clove Cigarette to smell like. The stale smoky clove cigarette goth club air, swirled in fog machine fog, which has its own distinct sweetness which is so reminiscent to me of halloween and clubs. This is transporting me. I feel the instinctive need to dress up in something dark and sexy, with big hair clipped up in lots of layers. I was not expecting this at all. There is zero clove in this blend, from the listed notes. And yet, the pale spectre of many nights' clouds is looming around me, and I am here for it.

Final conclusion: this will not go clove bomb, but it will go stealth goth club on me! I won't even speak to all the listed notes, because frankly I'm not getting anything so distinct, just two phases: grass stains with puppy phase, and After Da Goth Club phase. I am here for both of them. Unf. SO glad I have a bottle!