Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Cedar chests cracking from age, the sharp, metallic scent of rusting tin soldiers, dried leaves caking cracked porcelain tea cups, the shattered faces of china dolls and the tattered appendages of rotting cloth puppets, a glass eye gleaming beneath a dust-caked table, the rose-tinted tinkle of a ballerina dancing inside a music box that suddenly warbles as a rocking chair creaks in a darkened corner.

This one's ... interesting.  Very atmospheric. 

Up front I get soft leather and a dust note.  Maaaybe some beeswax?  I'm smelling without looking at the notes, but the "dust and rags" smell from The Old Robber Woman is prominent here, without the sharp tang of metal or oil.  Toy-Strewn Attic is sort of sawdusty vs. powdery.  The "chalk dust" note, from The Writing on the Slate also comes to mind,   After 10 mins or so, something sweet and oddly tangy emerges from the background and mixes with the leather, rags, and dust, along with something vaguely plasticy --  like a doll's head, but without a strong chemical component.     Can't quite put my finger on what everything is. :think:   I wouldn't wear this as a perfume, but it does have my nose quite intrigued, and as a room spray (like the Deserted Theater Atmo)  I think I might dig it.   Like I said - interesting. 

Reads notes:  Oh...I guess that sweet tang was the blood and metal.  :sick:   Smelling it again, I do smell a bit of rose in the beginning stage, but I didn't recognize it initially, and now I'm getting something sort of spicy?  Maybe the dry leaves?  This one's weird, y'all.  Quite the experience.  If you like soft leather, dust notes, or nostalgic atmospherics, it's worth checking out.  

Faded leather and cedar, faint touches of rose and vanilla porcelain -- all covered with a layer of dust.

This is very soft on me, but I get mainly dust, soft leather, and cedar on a background of long-forgotten things.

I am in love with this one and may just need to hoard it. It is so evocative of my neo- Victorian childhood, quite like Picture Books in Winter in composition: sweet and dusty with a lacey bit of whimsical lift. I know it's a Ween I wore Toy-Stewen Attic while I was preparing for Christmas and it was just perfect...romantic Nightmare Before Christmas vibes...spooky yet unobtrusive...a scent of memories.

Wet, I get an almondey leather note...a bit like As Above at first. Then, a hint of dusty florals, like the tea rose bath cubes my grandmother always seemed to have on hand, slightly amplified by a metalic twang...not too much metal, and I'm glad of it, but it does make it more masculine smelling, I'd say, compared to Picture Books in Winter...a bit more like a cologne, which may also be from the very dry wood notes, which are not overly dominant. There is a slight vanillic scent of old paper, but with the faded florals also really smells like fabric...all dry and white...yellowed and sepia tinged with age. A sweet, waxy, white greasepaint note in the drydown holds it close to, and melds with the leathery note and my skin. Everything is covered in dust. It's just brilliant...really smells like antique toys without being too musty...

Toy Strewn Attic is absolutely BPAL magic...the kind of unique blend that really sets the brand apart. A true gothic romance of a scent, it's more of a mood than even a smell. It could be worn anywhere but gives a tone of being well kept but slightly forelorn. A thousand times...love.

I agree with VetchVesper on the atmospheric Deserted Theater atmo vibe. I also get the metallic tang but its more straight up metal and no blood. 

The lab's porcelain note is front-most, with dust, lace and light blonde woods right behind and lastly, a clean rose soap note. Romantically victoriana bjd gothiness.

Very unique and interesting scent. I got a metallic note, dry tea leaves, polished wood, and a little bit of dusty rose as it morphed on me while wet. The metallic note in this almost reminds me of the Razors in a Doll's House hair gloss, but I don't think it's silver. When it dries, it's mostly a dusty, metallic wooden scent with a little soapiness.

There is a lot going on in this blend, and I'm sure the dry down is completely different on other people. I normally am not a huge fan of woodsy scents, but it works really well in this due to all the notes. 

Porcelain dust, cedar, and a whiff of cologne. DAY BURNED WHITE, IS THAT YOU?
Okay, either this is Day Burned White, version 2, or there's several types of ghost cocaine. Because this smells like its effing haunted as well.

But with a whiff of cologne? If DBW was a white dust blend, this is more like porcelain dust and cologne....

Oh DAMN, this could be another iteration of Mr. Croup. But like demonic Mr. Croup - extra porcelain and demonic possession swirled in.

Medium throw, average wear length.

This started off as a dusty bookish scent on me, with some dusty sandalwood and cedar mingling with some leather and a bit of rose. Over time, a cologne-like metal note emerged and eventually became the dominant note, backed by the dusty woods, a softer leather, and some rose. I also detect something representing the glassy note, but I couldn't tell you what it is.

This was fun to try, but I'm glad it's not for me -- I do not want a bottle with a creepy doll on the label in my collection. 😅