Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Gingerbread & Lemon Sugar

Love gingerbread, love sugar, love lemon scents. So this should have worked much better than it did. It's not a bad scent by any means, but it does fall into "cleaning fluid" more than "gingerbread," like I'm wiping down a kitchen counter while a baking smell floats in the background. Could be my chemistry; I may end up using this as a room scent.

Interesting and so hopeful, but not quite right.  

In the bottle: Ginger, but not gingerbread, lemon

On the skin: A touch of ginger and sugary lemon cookie, but only briefly. The sharp twang of ginger and the sour snap of lemon fought each other.  The sugar disappeared until we had more of a lemon clean scent and the gingerbread turned into gingerale. 

Dry down: Faded fairly quickly, but the softer the scent, the nicer it was.  Never kept that gingerbread scent which I craved, nor the lemon cookie, which I love.  They fought it out all along the way.

I think this fragrance has so much yummy potential.  I feel it needs something bready to keep it more of a gingerbread scent and less of a straight up sharp ginger, and something warm like a soft vanilla to keep the lemon more sugary instead of turning into kitchen cleaner fresh. I plan to pair it up with something I already own, not sure what, and layer it to sweeten it up a bit more!

This is cute, even though I'm not a lemon fan, and still I got a bit of "building gingerbread house" from this combo. I did want the lemon to be more sugary, whereas in this blend, the emphasis seems to skew heavily citrus and not much of that tooth-rotting sweetness from sugar crystals that would make this a super fun Yule. The gingerbread is not super bready or cookie-ish, it's more spicy and gingery. An interesting idea that was not perhaps fully fleshed out but worth a shot.

This one has the lemon-ish but not super lemon-y note of Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat and just the faintest hint of ginger but not gingerbread, for me.  It's more fresh ginger than ginger spice (though the itch on my skin tells me there is probably cinnamon even if I can't smell it).  A fresh scent that I'd be just as happy wearing in the summer as for Christmas.  Doesn't last long at all, on me.  Much quicker to disappear than Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat, despite their similarities.

So I got this one cuz gingerbread and lavender sugar from last year might just be my favorite yule ever and I thought if this was anything like that except lemony it would be a winner...in the bottle it kinda smells like it could be, but on the skin is a different story ha.

Some of the reviews scared me a bit cuz lemon tends to go to cleaner on me (except lemon sticky bat and other sugary/sweet lemons) - luckily this doesn't do that for me! It's not at all what I expected , but I do like it..

On drydown, there is no gourmand, gooey, rich gingerbread here. It's more of an effervescent ginger - coupled with the lemon, which reads more like lemon candy than lemon sugar crystals - I'm getting a ginger ale/lemon soda vibe with maybe an extra dash of spice lurking in the background. 

Edited by slo

Posting this review may forever doom my bottle to my swap page, but here goes:

I, too, bought this because Gingerbread and Lavender Sugar is full of so much win that I thought, if this is anything like that, it could be really nice. I also thought that lemon and ginger tends to be a good combination, at least in tea and in Virgo Snowball Fight. So I went the blind-bottle route.

Unfortunately, it was a complete skin chemistry fail on me.

In the bottle, I smell the gingerbread spices/gingersnap-like note from last year's gingerbread scents overlayed with a huge lemon slice.

On me, it is pretty sour and unappealing, at times reminding me of

vomit

. The lemon just does not combine well with this ginger on my skin, and there's not enough sugar present to help smooth things over. Up close, I get a lemony gingerale sort of scent, but the throw? It just smells sour and off.

I agree that a bready gingerbread note and more sugar could have made this scent more appealing. As it is, it just does not work for me.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Lemon sugar, ginger, and a whiff of gingerbread spices. Lemon Scented Sticky Bat does Christmas Spice. Imagine if you caught LSS Bat, but with gingerbread instead of just lemon. There you have it. Good throw and wear length.

Heavy on the lemon sugar. Smells very sweet and lemony, almost artificial, IMO. I do get some gingerbread, but not much and it goes away as it wears. Not a win for me, smells too much lie lemon candies drenched in sugar.

My decant of Gingerbread & Lemon Sugar started out exactly as advertised.  Sweet lemony gingerbread, more of a gingery gingerbread than a really sticky molasses gingerbread.  And it lasted this way for an hour or two before my skin turned it into... banana bread?  Oops, banana is really not for me.  So I loved how it started out but not where it ended up.  But I'm thrilled I got to try it thanks to a very generous forumite!

I think I'm the only one that likes this! I like lemon scented stickybat though and this has the same note. The lemon sugar is the syrupy sort that you'd imagine at the bottom of an iced tea. The gingerbread is sweet as well- not getting any spices really although I can still identify it as gingerbread. Gingerbread definitely takes a backseat to the lemon sugar syrup. As it dries and fades there's a buttery vanilla floof that comes out that I really enjoy. The throw and length is strong and long on me- basically the opposite of every review 🤔

Edited by wolf_truffles