Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Moonflower & Orris

In the bottle, I get a bright, heady white floral, and have a hard time picking out the orris. Florals aren't typically my jam, but this one's really pretty. As it dries down, the orris starts to come out, giving it a slightly dusty, soft quality without overtaking the moonflower note. I could see a floral like this being overpowering if there were too many notes in the mix, but this is simple and pretty, and I'm glad I went for a blind bottle. Medium throw; good wear length (about 6 hours in and my skin hasn't eaten it up).

Dreamy moonflower and a whiff of dusty orris. If you love moonflower, give this a whirl. It's very rare to see a delicate floral combination, and this is very delicate and ethereal. Like a bride's veil. Medium throw and wear length.

I am not super familiar with moonflower, though there are several perfumes I really like that list it as a note, so I was curious.  I like orris, but I was a little worried this might be very powdery.  I don't find that to be so, and moonflower seems to smell a bit like lily of the valley on me, if the lily of the valley was behaving really well.  Lily of the valley usually goes soapy, and moonflower doesn't apparently.  The fragrance is very floral and a little prim, a little perfumey, but its' nice.  I feel like this is pale lavender florals rather than white florals.  I see a pretty woman in a lavender cashmere sweater when I smell this.  It has a fair bit of throw on me. 

Edited by VetchVesper

First, it's a big loud white floral with a slight aquatic feel, then the orris pops up in the background to shush the moonflower.  At this point it's like Zorya P without the grey and salt and whistfulness.  As it dries down further, orris gives up and just glares at moonflower.  Moonflower takes the hint and settles down into a more subtle sweet floral.  It's really beautiful, but definitely a bold fragrance on me.

I previously had no idea what moonflower smelled like and figured this was a good scent to try to determine that. It's fairly strong when I first put it on, with an almost indolic quality reminiscent of jasmine. But that quickly morphed into this sort of melon-y floral scent that is very pretty. I think the orris grounds it a little, but can't really pick it out. I will definitely hold on to my decant and try out Zorya P at some point in the future for more moonflower goodness. 

I agree with the earlier review that compared this to a non-soapy lily-of-the-valley.  I 'm also baffled to find no powder in this from orris!  There is however a gentle hint of a fresh, green spiciness.  Very early-spring.  This smells like when you survey the grass in March and see little snowdrops cropping up everywhere.  I'm incredibly glad I sprung for this.  It's very complex and beautiful and truly like nothing else i have from the Lab.

Disclaimer: I’m not hugely into florals, but this was kindly frimped to me, and I believe one should always test all the things, so here we go…

On me, this is a strong white floral that leans slightly toward the sour side rather than sweet. It’s very soap-y and very perfume-y.

As others have mentioned, the orris is subtle and doesn’t really appear until the oil has fully dried into my skin. Only then does the moonflower mellow out a bit, but it’s still very strong. 

So this is definitely not my style at all - for me it has no complexity, it is what it is but it’s not for me. 

Oh, I LOVE this. Moonflower is palely sweet and refined, and the orris adds a smoky quality to it--like the thin trails of incense smoke, not bonfires or cigarettes. I'm obsessed. I NEED a bottle of this. Oh, NO, how am I ever gonna find a bottle of this?!