Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Are You Digging On My Grave?

BPAL had me at "milky puppy breath" with this one. Boy am I NOT SORRY that the puppy thing had me rung cause I ADORE THIS SCENT. It's just exactly as described. It's a soft, sweet, snuggly, warm puppy with milky breath. And you're wearing a sweater. And you're snuggling A PUPPY and burying your nose in its fur to smell a little bit of dirt, and a little bit of Milkbone. Similar to The Small Brown Cat from the American Gods perfume series, but less cedar-y and it's own puppy-ish thing....

First, I think actual puppies have every stinky breath. I love dogs and I love puppies, but I was a bit suspicious of puppy breath. :)

But, this was on my list of oils to test at lunacy, because I wondered about the earth and snuggly musk. 

in bottle: lots of earth

wet:

I do not interpret the milk here as literally dairy. On my skin, the milky breath presents as a glass of cold milk, but more just the impression of cold. With the dirt note and the snuggly musk, it smells like a camping outside. Like, the way morning smells when you go camping. Crisp cool air and all the scents of the cold earth the wafting up from the ground to be warmed by the sun. That’s very snuggly to me because I love mornings, early mornings, in the fall and out of doors the best. If there is puppy here, it’s the puppy bringing his gnarled old bone to you, to be thrown again and retrieve. More atmospheric. 

dry down:

all the remains of the upturned earth is a hint of sweetness. The musk main player now, and the musk is light and gentle. Skin hugging. The ice cold milk impression I had originally remains, but just now as a cool musk. 

I left with a full size. I think it’s a lovely sleep scent.

Edited by Missanneshirleyofgg

Coconut milk and puppy fur. Honestly, this is what I imagine Lilith's Pickle smells like. There was a Pickle HG, and I imagine this is more what the dog smells like - coconut and puppy fur. Cuddly, cozy, puppy. Medium throw and wear length.

Fascinating. While I get something very snuggly and cute sniffing the vial, once it's on it goes almost all grave on me. Cold, cold stone and dirt, a new gravestone in winter; cold, cold milk that a naughty pup has been lapping at before going to dig up some freshly turned earth. It stays very grave-like on my skin for several hours, until those top notes burned off and left the snuggly musk, which reminded me of the musk at the end of Half-Elf. Weird, huh?

But I think it's that musk and another note (coconut milk sounds about right) that is making this blend a little sweeter than Coimetrophobia, which has a similar gravestone vibe. When I say Are You Digging smells cold, it's not at all the BPAL snow note. It's austere and frigid, a coldness that lacks the mintiness or powderiness of snow. Sometimes earth/dirt notes can smell warm, but this one was decidedly dug up in winter.

Ultimately, as cool as the scent-story is here, I don't think I'll be wearing this one much. Not all art is wearable! 

This one might well be called Are You Snuggling on My Grave?  or Are You Digging in the Blankets at the Foot of the Bed?  It is super snuggly.  The milky note, the most prominent one on my skin, reminded me of some of the Lab's non-dairy milk notes -- oat or rice milk or the like -- and they always work better on me than the dairy notes.  It's kind of reminiscent of the goat's milk note without the goatiness, if that makes any sense.  Some brown musk, some brown dirt freshly dug through the grass, some warm wiggly puppy energy and the sweet milk note.  Lovely!

Wet: Ooooo, lots of snuggly musk with a sweet, creamy milk note. Warm. Comforting. I want a blanket that smells like this!

Dry: Pretty much spot on to the wet stage, only slightly sweeter! 

I like this. I know it's not something I want to smell like often, but I'm happy to have a decant!

I almost blind bottled this. If I had, I would not have been disappointed.

The cool milk and sweet, snuggly musk are the main players on my skin, with just a bit of dirt. I think there may be a bit of coconut contributing some sweetness, but it is not super prominent by any means, and for that, I am grateful (as I am not really fond of coconut-dominant scents). It gets sweeter over time, as the dirt retreats and the musk gains strength. I think Lucchesa's alternate names for this scent describe it perfectly!

I find this to be really comforting. :heart:  I will likely end up with a bottle of this before the Weenies disappear.

This is like Death Cap and Canis Major cuddling in a bowl of milk. It’s thick and cozy and a little earthy. Not perfume-y like Canis and not incense-y like Death Cap, the lovable offspring drooling and sweet fur. Lol 

I knew it was a cozy blend from the reviews, yet I passed on getting any when released. I’m grateful to be gifted a decant!
It’s so good on this overcast, drizzly day. Would love a bottle some day~ 

Edited by artisjok

Clean, snuggly, furry brown musk. An effervescent note that hits me with GRASS without smelling like grass - like the smell of walking across dewy grass in the morning. Clean, wet construction dirt. Coconut- or vanilla-husk milk. 

It’s flipping delightful, and is a great earth scent for a person who wants so badly to love earth scents but gets sucker punched by the Lab’s usual dirt & grave notes.