Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Casablanca

Honey, Hay Absolute, and Amber

[No additional description provided.]

This one is coming out different than the imagined.

On the wand, I get golden honey over a hay-and-greenery vibe. I wonder if this greenery impression is from the hay being an absolute.

On my skin, the greenery wins. It steps forward as green, a little sour, and a little tart. Somehow it smells like a mix of recently cut and dried grasses or shrub leaves. Yup, this is pretty much greenery and I don't know where the honey and amber went.

Ah, there's the honey amber, peeking out in early drydown. The tart greenery settles.

Later, this is just a super soft honey amber, with a scarce hay hint.

I'm going to chalk most of this up to my skin.

This starts off as a beautiful wave of honey, very similar to the one in GC Honey Hair Gloss. (I am on my second bottle of that,  so a fan!) I cannot pick out the hay absolute, but suspect it might be what is keeping the honey from being too sweet. There is a soft grassy shadow,  but definitely not hay to my nose. Drydown is a gorgeous honeyed amber with very light nuances of green. I am delighted!

In the decant: I get grassy hay first. It is sweet, but it doesn't have a distinct honey note, so I can't tell if the sweetness is the hay or the honey. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's hay and a touch of amber. I have slathered it on in hopes of convincing the honey to come out. On the initial drydown, I get some very significant whiffs of grassy hay -- sweet and not sharp, but distinct from any bit of honey-type sweet. A few minutes later, the resinous amber also emerges. It takes about twenty minutes for the honey to really emerge as a note; by this time, it's honey over amber, with hay absolute much in the background. Finally, it's very much a honeyed amber; it does have a touch of green to keep it light and fresh. 

The throw on this stays fairly low on me throughout.  

I get low throw honey and a touch of amber with a slight suggestion of hay.   Less hay than I thought it would oomph, compared to past bpals.  I thought I'd be burning the amber torch in the barn on this one. Lovely blend though.

In the imp: Mellow, bright, omnidirectional greenery; I keep going back and forth on whether it's fresh-cut or dried. If there's any honey or amber present at this stage, I think my nose is just picking them up as facets of the greenery.

Wet: The greenery resolves itself into hay, like shoving your face into a big pile of cut grass that's been left out to dry for a good long while. The amber just barely starts to peek out at the base, giving the hay a fascinatingly elegant, perfumey aspect. I'm still not getting a lot of honey - if it's here, it's cool and bright, mingling with the hay, rather than the usual golden syrupy sweetness. In fact, there's almost an aquatic element here, fresh and cool, that I really can't place. It's very "unicorn's enchanted forest"-smelling - could this be the amber???

Dry: It stays hay and amber for most of its 8-hour (or so) duration, with the honey only putting in an appearance towards the end. That fresh, aquatic element also proves surprisingly tenacious.

I came for hay, and hay I got! The greener, fresher notes were a delightful surprise, and the amber brought an elegant aspect that I loved. I hope some aging will bring out the honey as well - that's all I need for this to be my perfect "sunlight in fall" scent.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, the hay comes across as a green, grassy (but not lawn-like) scent, with the honey acting as a grounding base. 

Once it warms on my skin, the amber comes out, rounding the scent out and giving it some depth. 

After about an hour, the honey remains strongest and sadly, the hay pretty much vanishes, making this mostly a honey SN with a vague background of something else.

It's gorgeous, I just wish it lasted longer on me!