Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Government Officials at an Orgy

Tonka bean, vetiver, black currant, black tea, and clove.

Black tea, currants, clove, and whiffs of tonka. This smells like a black tea and cookies sort of blend (I blame the cookies on the currants, clove, and warmth of the tonka). It's definitely an 'eastern' vibe to it. So elegant tea house in Japan sort of black tea. Good throw and wear length.

This starts on me as a nice, warm, spicy clove with a hint of sweetness and freshness behind it. Unfortunately, that starts to fade within the first half-hour and what I'm left with is the smell of commercial handsoap. The pink gel kind that you find in public restrooms. And of course that's the portion of the scent that hangs around for the rest of the day.

I received my order a month ago and have tried it every week or so to see if it has improved (and hence waited to review), but at this point I think it's probably just my skin chemistry that one(?) of the components is going soapy on. The blend definitely seems to be getting more complex and more lovely until the handsoap scent comes out, and then it's still just about all I can smell. (Several floral notes tend to turn to straight soap on me, so).

EDIT: It smells lovely on my fiance all the way through - much like other reviewers have mentioned - with no soapiness to be found. So, skin chemistry issues aside, it's a lovely perfume.

Edited by Corey Shea
Update

This really does smell like good, spiced black tea.  It's along the lines of a chai b/c of the clove.  The vetiver is very mellow.  This is not fruity or sweet, and smells very gender neutral.  Lovely!

I don't get black tea from this. It has a spicy,  a tad savory vibe; could be the clove and blackcurrant? Totally not what i was expecting. The black tea smells like a cup of cooled off brewed tea leaves, with a little kick from the cloves, but not in any way astringent or pungent. Still very ethereal and calming, gender neutral, stripped off any sweetness. If you love quiet dry black tea scents with a hint of spice, get this!

Chai and black currant with a fougere in the background? It like a classic british perfume next to a cup of chai. Pretty cool! Guys should pound this stuff to their skin. Viva la cologne revolution! Death to Axe Body Spray! (Roaring crowd)

I love black tea, so I wanted to love this so badly (the name, for another thing, is hilarious) but I'm afraid it does the handsoap thing that Corey Shea described on me, too.

(EDIT: A month later and it's grown on me immeasurably. I wasn't expecting it to smell as clean and almost aquatic as it does, but now I love the cologney freshness and spiciness, because I know what to expect. Still has poor stay, but I'm okay with that. Keepin' it!)

Edited by muined

Clove lovers, this is your jam. Apparently, what gets government officials all riled up is some sweet clove, strong and vanillic, with the tannins of tea wafting in the air. This is boldly spiced and wonderfully reminiscent of a tea house turned profoundly sensual. I don't get any blackcurrant or specific vetiver notes, but there is a lot of warmth and depth and richness that I am guessing these notes lend to the showy top notes. If Cat Event Exorcist is the more sanctified clove, this is the erotic clove, ready to make love to your senses. 

I’m getting the tea and cookies vibe from Government Officials, though it is a much more profoundly sensual ritual than a typical tea and cookies. Spiced and warm and clothing dropping to the floor in elegant comfort.
Black tea is primary, tangled up in tonka-clove goodness.  The currant doesn’t jump out at me, though I can sense it. Like looking at currant-studded cookies, and smelling their chewy yumminess before actually biting. Same with vetiver. Very low-key for Vetiver! 
A delish interpretation of a black tea scent~