Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VetchVesper

Mr. Morse’s Seances

Inquiries into the Philosophy and Phenomena of Spiritualism should procure admission to Mr. Morse’s Seances at 15, Southampton Road Holborn, London on Friday Evenings at Eight O’Clock.

Don’t be late: polished teakwood, pipe smoke, sugar-clouded absinthe, vetiver, and rum musk.

This smells like manly butterscotch at first!  Or perhaps like Hot Buttered Whiskey and Tag Upon Avon had a love child.  It's a very warm scent, and the tobacco and rum mix to create a sweet, chewy, butteriness.  I don't really get much absinthe except maybe when I first put it on, but that's probably part of what's reminding me of Tag Upon Avon.  The teakwood is subtle at first, but comes out more in the dry down and grounds the fragrance, keeping the sweetness from turning syrupy, like it is (IMHO) in Hot Buttered Whiskey.    This is boozy, but gentler than HBW.  I think it could be a cousin of Perversion actually.  Very nice.

I would totally want to nibble on a guy who smelled like this, but I think it would equally well for a woman.

Musky tobacco, rum, twist of sugar and teakwood. It smells like a nice elderly gentleman perfume. Debonair. Sophisticated. Very classy.

Medium throw and wear length.

I'm not sure what's going on here to be honest.

I'm in a room, an old study. Green light illuminates the room from the desk, and I go to sit at it.

On the polished teakwood table there is an array of glasses and drinks. 

I reach for the rum, and, knock the bottle over, spilling over the desk, flooding over the teakwood, and extinguishing the gently smoking pipe. 

More and More glugs out, it's a strega nona bottle of infinite rum, slowly filling the room, rising to my feet and than my ankles, as remain motionless in the lush chair.

I look around, but the gentle vase of vetiver grasses has withered and died, and as I watch it falls into the swirling pool of rum. 

Thick butterscotch clouds of steam waft out, and I begin to choke, reaching for the bottle of absinthe on the desk, but my fingers are slick with rum.

My head clouds, and blackness begins to overtake me, and as I pass out I crack my head on the teakwood desk.

I expected a lot of this. I love all of these notes, and together I had a certain image in my head. However I'm amping the rum, or maybe that's all that's there. 

It's very similar to grog, but with a faint polished wood note barely discernable. 

Maybe I amp rum?  

It's a lovely scent, and I might prefer it to the more alcoholic grog, but it's still a disappointment, as everything is washed out under a sea of rum.

Odd: I get the earlier-mentioned butterscotch for the first few seconds, sugared and smoky.

Then it morphs into a rocks glass of sugary butter rum in a tobacco-stained gentleman's study. 

As it progresses, I get more of the pipe smoke and teakwood, with sugary butter rum in the background.

This definitely evokes its scene.

• ITI: I was expecting polished wood and absinthe, since those notes tend to dominate, but instead I'm getting fragrant pipe tobacco, sugar, and a hearty dram of rum .  I imagine this would be what a gentleman's reading room from the 1800's would have smelled like.
  •  
  • Wet:  Wow, this is a bit too sweetly foody on immediate application.  It's like tobacco butterscotch, gobs of caramelized sugar, absinthe candies, and sweet pipe smoke.  I was bowled over just a bit as I was applying this, so I hope that it settles down some because it is rather sweet. 
  •  
  • Dry:  Now that it has had a chance to settle (an hour), the scent is less cloying and more a reflection of a rich pipe tobacco, fragrant and thick, infused with heavy rum musk and almost caramelized sugar.  Teakwood peaks out from underneath the heavy rum and tobacco notes every now and then, adding a contemplative sophistication and pleasantly faint astringency that keeps the scent from skewing too overbearing. 

Testing blind, I got caramel, rosewood, and cognac.  The latter is obviously the rum, though it smelled a little more upscale to me, while caramel and rosewood is a pretty good approximation of what teak is like on my skin.  I'm not surprised I'm not getting pipe smoke; I can't smell Hellfire at all.  It is the most elusive note for me.  This is comforting, a man who is elegant and confident but not threatening.  Thanks to the generous PIFer who sent it my way!

I’ve been wanting to try Mr. Morse’s Seances for a while, so  when I got the chance to swap for a partial bottle... :woohoo:

In the bottle I smell the rum musk, primarily. On the skin, it’s definitely the heavy hitter note, yet I get a surprising amount of absinthe! As it dries down, the two parts get low and cozy together, allowing a bit of smoky wood to peek through. 

It reminds me of Butterscotch and Black Beetles, yet works way better on my skin, thankfully. 

It’s a yummy scent, and I think best for cooler days. So glad to finally try it! 

Edited by artisjok

This is not something that I ever would’ve tried on my own.  Another BPALer suggested it based on my other likes and made me a decant.

I was skeptical based on first sniff from the decant because it did smell more like whiskey to me than rum.  And whiskey and I are not friends.  Tobacco is also almost always a death note for me.

As soon as it’s on my skin though it sweetens right up and it’s sugary rum musk.  Dry I lose that but get a soft absinthe with just hints of wood and musk.  It’s quite nice.  The sweetness keeps it from feeling like cologne, but I’d definitely be all over any dude who smelled like this lol.