Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Western Small Foot Bat Hair Gloss

With golden dorsal fur, but brownish-black wings, limbs, ears and facial mask, she looks a bit like a tiny flying Siamese cat. She is the bat world’s little debutante, draped in fur and headed to a masquerade.

Wild roses twined around creamy amber and a tangle of patchouli.

Rosy amber with a whiff of patchouli. I get mainly amber, with touches of both roses and patchouli. 

Western Small Foot Bat hair gloss is a beautiful rose hair gloss! Creamy, sun-sweetened rose with a hint of patchouli. Very summery and well-blended, no edges on this one.

Bottle fresh from the Trading Post.

Three of my favorite notes: What's not to love?  And sure enough, I do.  But it did manage to surprise me!

I've come to regard perfumes as falling into two main categories:

1.  Medleys

Like a vegetable medley, or a song medley, or even a musical chord.  Although they are combined, certain components (or all of them) stand out distinctly.  Each vegetable, melody, or musical note, or one or more of the perfume notes, retains its own characteristic identity.  You can say, "This is peas, corn, and carrots," "Oh, this is a rose and musk perfume," or "This is a I, maj III, V, VII chord."  Most BPAL perfumes are of this type, and that's one of the reasons why I'm a BPAL addict.  I've always especially loved perfumes that smell like real things.

i include perfumes in this group even if only one note is distinct, and all the other notes blend together into a mystery scent. If I can say, "This is a cedar perfume," or "This is a rose perfume, with other things I can't identify in it."  (In BPAL oils, though, there are usually at least two, and often more, distinct notes.)

2.  Blends

These are things that blend together to make something new and completely different, in which individual components lose their identities.  Like vichyssoise soup, and secondary colors.  Although an experienced palate, eye, or nose may be able to detect some components, they have to "look" for them.  And to the average person, it isn't potatoes and leeks, or blue and yellow, or synthetic aldehydes and orris root. It's vichyssoise, or green, or Chanel #5.  Most traditional perfumes are of this type.

So, all that is to say, this fragrance is a blend.  I was expecting a rose and patchouli perfume, with amber in the drydown. It doesn't smell like rose or amber or patchouli.  I can detect each of of those notes (with amber being the strongest), but I have to read the description and work at noticing each one.  This scent is really just its own self, something new and different.

And it's absolutely gorgeous!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Predominant Note(s):  None that stand out

Character:  Blended, sweet, feminine

6 out of 6 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

this starts off with a fresh rose, and almost feel like i sense another floral in there. i definitely get some creaminess, bordering on slightly foody. i guess it's amber but it doesn't smell like powdery amber at all. the patchouli comes through a bit later, but it's subtle. something seems almost a bit aquatic here, which is the strangest thing. i kind of wish that element wasn't in there, because i think i'd like it better without that aquatic note.

Sweet pink rose, and I want to say lotus as well. There is a very sweet, waxy floral note next to the rose. Underneath I get warm amber and soft sweet patchouli, but these just pass a gentle glow onto the sweet pink rose.  Like @LiberAmoris said, sun-sweetened. 

Western small footed bat HG  is entirely the labs Aquatic Patchouli on me. No sign of a floral in sight. This is pugently aquatic with massive throw. For those who enjoy classically 'masculine' scents I think you would love this. 

If you are looking for a deep and dirtied rose, or a sepia toned rose this may not be your jam. Time to find this little bat a new home.

To me, the rose is super juicy at the first stage. I don’t know if I would have recognized it without previously knowing the notes. The patchouli/amber combo is backing, but gains strength and dominates as the scent dries in my hair. More perfumey than I typically enjoy, a sophisticated & adult scent. I’m detecting a bit of the aquatic-like note that others have mentioned, but it’s not overwhelming. 

Western Small Footed Bat isn’t my favorite, but I do have some scents that will pair well with it. I was hoping for a more sultry warm scent. 

I’ll do an all day test run and see if I want to hold on to my ounce for the days I want to feel like a professional adult haha

Come on a journey with me. 

The year is 1936. You're sitting in a restaurant waiting for your food. There are roses on the table. Your date comes, a beautiful starlet. She smells wonderful, so wonderful. You can't quite pick it out, but sweet and intoxicating, and not at all rosy, yet impossibly rosy. You sit there, she smells divine. It's a touch old fashioned, and just a wonderful cloud. You lean in to kiss her. You taste salt. You taste salt? Skin surely. Skin can be salty musk right? You break away, eyes open, and she's melting around your hands. She's soft and.... muted... and doughy. She's made of Play-Dough. You push back your chair to leave. It falls to mush play-dough. You stagger back, knocking over the roses, which flop limply, and collapse into play-dough. You try to run, but it's an ocean of play-dough, and you fall deep down under, to the play-depths bedough. 

I received Western Small Foot Bat as a lil 5ml decant as a frimp in a swap, and didn't think much of it. Amber NEVER works on me. Patchouli only sometimes works. Roses are heady, and drown out everything. It wasn't until months later I accidentally grabbed this and sprayed it on my sheets, and oh lord. It's DIVINE. Not bad at all, not even individual notes, but a blend making something that smells a little old-fashioned but absolutely lovely and indescribable. It's a shame that my hair and skin do this fun thing where Amber turns to baby powder or Play-Dough on me. This just smells salty in my hair, but honestly? I don't regret owning this, this is FANTASTIC as a linen spray, and I'll gladly use up the tester making my pillow smell like the sweet scent that I wish I could have. 

Oops, forgot to review this lovely stuff!  Rose with a hint of green leaves, with light, dry patchouli. Only a hint of amber for me. I love it!