Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Virgo

Virgo, from Celestials - Astrological Oils:

apple / white musk / rose

narcissus / oakmoss

patchouli

First sniff: The first thing I notice before even opening the vial is the colour -- it's dark brown. Appropriate for an earth sign, I suppose. The scent is definitely earthy with a hint of incense, which doesn't bode well for my ability to wear it. I'll try it on anyway just in case it decides to like me. Definitely matches its dark-brown colour, though the scent is more cherrywood-coloured than dirt-coloured. It's a bit on the dry side too, and more musty-earthy than Hermit.

Wearing: I'm not entirely sure. Woody and earthy, yes, and very deep. Must wear again when I have more time to analyse. It didn't go immediately bad (in a sharp-sweet resiny sense), which is encouraging. I'm intrigued.

I'm a Virgo-Libra cusp, incidentally - Sept. 21.

I was looking forward to this one, but unfortunately I can't say I cared for it.. I think I was looking for something that felt a bit "warmer." I always try scents on, though, even if I didn't like them in the bottle, so I gave it a test run. The scent evaporated on me after a couple of hours. I don't think this one was meant for me.

First off a big fat :D to Elizabeth for sending me a 5ml bottle of this as part of her contest on LJ for free. You are a GODDESS. :P

First sniff:

Upon first smelling it I got a vision of a woman sitting in a pile of moss reading books. It's very earthy which is understandable as Virgo is an earth sign. All I could smell is the oakmoss and the white musk so I was a bit put off. The 5ml bottle this came in is a gorgeous cobalt blue bottle with the label that says Virgo green and has the astological sign for it underneath. It's so cute!

After wearing it

Holy crap this is GREAT. Wet it takes on this wet moss smell...very very green but as it dries down it blossoms into this wonderful woody floral scent just brimming with apples. It's definitely an earth scent so if you dislike more earthy smelling (ones that invoke images of woods, green grass..things like that) I suggest you stay far away from virgo. It's very very subtle and wears off a bit quickly (sort of like me and my attention span ha! ha!) so I don't think it would be good for everyday wear but would be best for when you want to get in touch with the more virgoy aspects of your personality (or if you're a virgo like me tapping into that energy). It's a lovely earthy, green scent.

I really wanted to like this one, but I can't. when I smelled it in the imp I quite liked it. it was sweet and musky and earthy, all good. but when I put it on it was all patchouli. didn't change at all, just strong strong patchouli. I can handle patchouli in blends or small amounts, but this was just too strong. I guess I'm not that typical a Virgo after all.

Initial Impression:

Earthy floral, very deep yet grounded.

After Wearing It:

I bought an imp of Virgo for a friend of mine who wear generic scents that I don't care for too much, and since she's a fellow astrology fiend I thought she may appreciate this.

Awful as it may sound, I could just let this one pass through my hand without testing it first though, particularly since I loved the way it smelled in the vial. It was softly floral, but earthy and spicy too, creating such a sensual and intriguing scent. Once on my skin though, Virgo turned out to be pretty pale, subtle and bland. I really slathered this one on (because it had seemed so promising!) but the scent was really light on me, even if sniffed up close.

The scent itself made me think of wild flowers growing along a path through the woods, their scent mingling with the twigs, leaves and loose earth that are scattered on top of them. It also reminded me of the flower beds we had in the front yard of the house I was born in. My mother covered the dirt areas between the plants with wood chips to prevent weeds from growing. I don't remember the flowerbeds smelling like Virgo, but the perfume smells the way it looked.

As for the more technical details of the scent, I smelled a subtle combo of oakmoss and white musk more than anything else, with the narcissus filtering up from underneath them. I couldn't smell the apple at all and the patchouli didn't make much of an impression either. Pity!

Final Thoughts:

I really liked this in the bottle (particularly when I first smelled Karyn's!), but it didn't do a whole lot for me own. Which is probably for the best since I won't be tempted to keep this for myself!

Wow. I am wondering if my imp has not been mislabelled, since the oil is a golden colour and does not smell earthy to me :P

In the vial, it smells like a very good, very refined department store perfume, leaning towards the Oriental family. It is a complex blend, I can't pick up distinct notes.

On, the rose and the musk are the most obvious notes. No apple whatsoever. It is soft and powdery, very feminine. I guess that on some people it could turn old ladyish fairly easily, but it works very well with my body chemistry.

As it settles down, the earthiness mentioned in the other reviews starts coming through. Even though the rose is fading quickly, replaced by a woody scent and what I guess is patchouli, it is still soft and lovely. The apple is still MIA.

I really, really like this! Since I used to hate patchouli before BPAL, I always have a hard time recognizing it in a blend I like, but I need to get rid of my prejudice and admit that patchouli is NOT evil :D (at least when Beth works with it). Yet another keeper!

I got this because this is my sign (September 22nd) and I wanted to see if it would suit me or I would suit it.

First Impression: I love the color, so rich and deep. I smell patchouli straight out of the bottle, but a perfumed patchouli if that makes any sense. It's the flowers that are doing it.

Second Impression: I don't get much fruitness but I do get just the tiniest bite of golden apples. The roses and patchouli harmonize very nicely keeping this blend from being too earthy or too floral. A hint of spice and a touch of moss.

Final Analysis: Earthy, floral, a bite of apple and a sprinkle of spice. I wonder if the musk is ever going to show itself. Very nice, smells good on me. I will use my imp and see how it goes.

I'm a Virgo and love earthy green scents, so Virgo was part of my first order. I must say that on first sniff, I loved the scent, incensey, slightly warm, earthy and rosey, but I wasn't sure I could handle it on my person. A tiny drop applied to one wrist and wrists rubbed together was all it took for this wonderful scent to envelope me in near rapture. The rose came out more on the dry down and everything became a tiny dash sweeter. I really like the solitude-in-the-forest feeling of this one. Bravo!

Adding: Virgo is too heavy for wearing on a hot summer's day, but my oh my is it ever nice on a cool summer night with rain falling.

Edited by orangepoppy

I'm still trying to find the apple in this :P

It's a very dry, earthy scent - with a hint of floral. Unfortunately, it smelled "stale" to me: like your grandmother's attic. It's not unpleasant, but just not what I'm looking for. As it's drying, the patchouli is making itself known. Not bad, but I was hoping for a "fresher" earth smell.

Did I already say, where's the apples?

I think I'm going through a weird skin-chemistry phase, because none of the new oils I've tried lately have agreed with me. This one -- based on the listed notes -- looked like one I would love. However, on me, it smells bitter and dirty.

I tried Virgo as part of my ongoing experiement with "earthy" scents, as I have no earth in my chart whatsoever (I have sun in Libra). It may just be that I can't wear earthy oils at all. However, since everything seems to be a bit "off" on me lately, I think I'll give this one another try before giving up on it.

It's funny, I've tried a handful of the Celestial oils, and this is by far my favorite. I must be a pretty typical Virgo.

On first application: This reminds me a lot of Ravenous (which is a very, very good thing.) I guess it's because the patchouli is pretty strong at the beginning. But while I think of Ravenous as a very sharp orangey patchouli, this is a very yellow/green patchouli. It's a chartreuse patchouli. And it's just a little bit salty, if a perfume can be called salty. It's funny, even though I think Ravenous and Virgo are so similar, they have completely different effect on me. While Ravenous I find sexy to the point of distraction, Virgo is comforting, and makes me want to go for a walk in the woods.

After a few minutes: It's staying very true. I can't detect the apple or rose at all - and just the tiniest bit of narcissus and oakmoss. I have a feeling it's the white musk that is rounding the whole thing out, blending everything else together so nicely.

Conclusion: Beautiful, and comforting. A must for all Virgos...

This was unusual...not like any other BPAL scents I've tried.

Woody and warm, but not sweet. It reminds me of brownstone apartments in NYC in the 1960s and 1970s...and the hip, young neighbors who lived in our building, who painted their kitchen hot pink and had plastic multi-colored rings and fringed leather clothing and a gray and white cat that used to wander from building to building making friends (because it would have been "mean" to keep it inside.)

Maybe it's the smell of 1970s perfumes. Sophisticated and retro.

virgo

at first: i bought this for nadine, since it's her sign, but, having looked at the notes, i think i would like it, too. unfortunately, there is something not-so-nice about this; perhaps even a bit masculine.

on: incense with some earthy note that i don't like.

1 hour later: almost a bit sweet, but not quite. much better than when first applied. i was actually afraid i would have to wash it off at first.

3 hours later: i can barely smell this now. it's still earthy, but nicely so, and i still smell a tiny bit of incense.

5 hours later: i can only smell this if i really try to. it's earthy and i like it.

overall: i think this will only be a once-in-a-while thing for me.

I got an imp of this from isyche. :P

First sniff:

The musk is most prominent to my nose and it's a huge departure from the nose-burning, cringe-inducing black musk of Haunted...this is musky musk, not sharp musk and I like it much better. I also smell oakmoss and a hint of patchouli in here. It reminds me of a perfume Avon used to make that I wore when I was in middle school, although I can't remember the name of it.

Wet on skin:

Musk, rose and oakmoss are most prominent now. For some reason, this reminds me of old-lady perfume. I think it's the white musk that I'm associating with someone in particular, but I can't put my finger on who it is...possibly my fiance's grandmother? It's certainly not unpleasant, the association is just odd.

Dry down:

Powdery musk and the faintest hint of patchouli. This makes me think of what an aging hippie would smell like: powdery and musky but still wearing the ubiquitous patchouli oil that they wore in their youth. It's actually quite pretty, it just reminds me of a few people I know.

The bottom line:

I like the notes in this one, but I don't think it's for me. Off to swaps with it; hopefully someone else can put it to some use. :D

I ordered an imp of this since it was being discontinued and I'm a Virgo (Sept. 20).

I think Penance and I might have similar skin chemistry because I got the smell of Avon's Rapture perfume! Well, at first it was buried beneath a haze of the same (though much lesser in intensity) woodsmoke smell I got from Umbra. Then it was all Rapture, sometimes with a hint of a peppery note peeking out.

I don't dislike it, but since my great-grandmother wore a whole collection of Rapture products, I won't be wearing this as my perfume. I'm still undecided about keeping this around for ritual/meditation purposes. Maybe diluted and layered with something this could work out. Experiment time!

I got this one for my boy for christmas since it's his sign (also Sept. 20 :P).. and I made him wear it yesterday.. literally made him. I even put it on him myself. hehe.

In the bottle: definitely an earthy patchouli... and a pretty strong one at that..

On, the apple came out to play for a very brief moment and then after a few minutes on him, the patchouli turns very sharp and peppery. It was very deep and butch-guy smelling, I thought. I say this because it was even more masculine than most of the masculine ones I've smelled thus far..

I'm not a big fan of patchouli, especially in such high concentrations, so I probably wouldn't like wearing this one myself, but I decided to give it a few minutes now to see what it does on me compared to him.

Oh wow. completely different! It's so amazing just how different. On me, the white musk is much more prevalent and the patchouli fades out rather quickly. It's still there, but it's much softer (good for me, that) and overall it's a bit more sweet smelling on me than it was on him. It's probably not something I'd wear more than rarely now that I've found so many beautiful smellies, but if this was one of the first scents i had, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

Bottle ~ A pungent, musky perfume much like the perfume balmks one can find in Egyptian-themed shops.

Wet ~ A chalky, somewhat resiny scent. I want to say "spicy," but ... not in what I'd consider to be a traditional way. More like the spices I'd smell in an Ethiopian restuarant -- muted and heavy.

Drying ~ It's starting to turn into what I call a round scent - where it smells like the notes enter the nose and circle 'round upon themselves. There's a somewhat astringent quality coming through, like Witch Hazel.

Dry ~ I think I'm getting a strongly spicy resin or incense smell here. Like wooden tables in funky shops that have had years to soak up all of the scented smoke and now simply have their own smell.

Final thoughts ~ I don't like this one on me. I think it'll do much better as a house scent than it will as a skin scent. Having a home that smells like a funky imports store doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet....

I am a Virgo (27th August, holla!) and I was surprised at first at the choice of the oils. I was hoping for something clean and brisk, something I felt most Virgos are. But of course, we are earthy, sensual beings, and this fragrance displays such traits well.

I've worn it quite frequently, and I own a 10 ml bottle that's still full and being used sparingly. I love the patchouli in the oil, the spices are subtle, the rose isn't too "in your face," the white musk works wonders and the oil is just fabulous. Virgo makes me feel wonderful, both feminine yet strong and empowered. Virgo is one of the fragrances I'll wear that elicits quite a few compliments from other people.

I'm rather sad that the Astrological/Celestial lines were shut down. At least I have my big fat 10 ml bottle to see me through. It will be nice while it lasts.

-doreen

In bottle: Very thin; I can barely smell a thing. Apples and white musk, but there is a dark earthiness beneath the faintness of the plants.

On me: Very faint. It reminds me somewhat of a plant growing in wet dirt; that smell of fresh earth and something green when you're messing about in the garden. But I cannot detect a thing when it comes to specific notes.

In the bottle: Earth, herbs, & a bit of apple

First on: I can smell the rose here, and it's not too strong. The apple has vanished. Mmmm....oakmoss...

Drydown: This goes completely patchouli & oakmoss. Not a big shock there, being an earth sign. It's sitll a good combination, and something to wear when I want to feel grounded I think.

I almost feel like I shouldn't like this, considering the way I feel about having my own Virgo traits I hate. I really like it though, which halfway irritates me. Haha.

In the vial~Very earthy, must be the oak moss and patchouli.

Wet~The mixture of patchouli, oak moss, and rose blends to create the scent of a forest. I am reminded of cedar trees. Not my favorite scent but not bad.

Dry~The more this blend dries and soaks into my skin, the nicer it becomes. The forest smell is fading into the background. What remains is very soft and earthy. Still reminds me of nature and I can't stop sniffing my hand.

I don't think I will be wearing this everyday, but since I am a Virgo, I'll be holding on to this imp.

Edited by cricketshay

Virgo

(another Lab bonus -- thank you!)

In the bottle: Definitely earthy. On some whiffs this almost smells like body; maybe that's the musk and patchouli.

Wet, on skin: I don't think I've ever worn a scent this earthy and woodsy. It passes beyond the realm of perfume-scent and into the scents of nature, which is a high compliment to the folks at the Lab. At first, the bog element of this scent is strong. But it sinks into my skin quickly; I'm excited to see how this one changes.

1.5 Hours on skin: The scent has widened somehow, turning a much lighter green than the rich brown scent that it started out as. This phase of the scent is more like the leaves of the tree, where the wet scent was the dirt-covered roots.

Drydown: Faint now. The light green scent has faded into a very gentle summer breeze.

Conclusion: Another surprise for me! A bit strong at first, but I like that it's different from what I usually wear.

Edited by sun_set_bravely

I wanted to like Virgo so much b/c I am one (Sept 4), but I could pretty much tell by the notes listed that it wasn't going to work on me. Earth - no, oakmoss - no, rose - definitely no, white musk - hell no, apple - don't hate it but I don't love it either. The only thing out of that whole list I like is patchouli. But of course I couldn't resist trying it anyway, so I swapped with dreadeddragon for an imp. On me I got a combination of dirt, vague greenery, soap (that's the rose talking) and drugstore perfume (probably the white musk). Didn't get a hint of patchouli or even apple, waa! :P

Edited by roesmoker

Gifted to me by a Fantastic Forumite. Thanks again! :P

Until now I have studiously avoided anything with patchouli in it. However, I’m a staunch and stereotypical Virgo, and if the Lab has decreed that Virgos are represented by patchouli, then who am I to argue?

When I first got it I dabbed just a bit on. Earthy, musty, more so than I would expect given the notes. I put it away for a later try.

All week I’ve been feeling disconnected. Not quite confident in my decisions, a little discombobulated. Last night I was looking for something to ground me, bring me back to myself. I reached for the Virgo. Something about the earthiness of this resonated with me. I could smell the apple if I tried, and the patchouli if I thought about it, but overall it was a well blended scent – all the notes came together. It was grounding, focusing – just what I was looking for. I woke up today confident.

I probably wouldn’t wear this out in public, but it will be a perfect meditation scent. I’ll use it ritually to center myself when I drift.

If this ever becomes available again I’ll definitely get as much as I can.

Virgo

In the imp: moss, patchouli, something reminiscent of perfume-maybe some musk and narcissus? This is a very earthy scent for an earth sign. The oil is brown and there are 'dregs' at the bottom of the imp-I'm not sure if that's contamination or if this oil does have solid natural residues?

Wet on skin: patchouli and oak moss, a very deep scent, but with a lighter 'perfume-y' note on top, adding a bit of sophistication.

Dry on skin: I think this is slightly reminiscent of The Caterpillar, Lush Tramp and BNever's Smargadine, thanks to the patchouli-moss combination giving this a dark, deep, earthy and almost 'dirty' feel, like a forest floor. But there's a light hint of musk and narcissus, possibly some rose too, on top, adding a brighter aspect to the scent. I think the apple may be giving this scent a slight tartness, but it's not very apparent in here. But the scent is very 'BNever' to me, I think.

After a while: the moss scent gets stronger. This really does remind me of something from BNever, possibly 1000 Kisses Deep? It's a greenish-brown scent, very appropriate for an earth sign.

Verdict: I decided to try this out because I have a Virgo ascendant (and it shows…I'm so picky, fussy about food, slightly perfectionist…) and I really like this. It smells a bit like something from BNever or Lush, and also reminds me of the Caterpillar. It has a depth and earthiness thanks to the mossy patchouli base, but with a brighter, more perfume like topping of narcissus, musk, and a tiny bit of rose and apple. The mossy note gets stronger upon drydown. This is a really grounding and calming scent-something I should wear if my Virgo rising tendencies get a bit too much. It's not as gorgeous as Aries but I really like this.