Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Fucking hipsters.

Sweet tobacco and raw patchouli with Italian bergamot, pine needle, vintage dime store musk, and red sandalwood.

Welp. Sadly this is my first fail. The sweet tobacco and dime store musk...are a nauseating combination on my skin. I amp metal, so I should have known that when Beth said dime, she meant it. I am releasing this out into the world in hopes that someone else will like it. Thank God it's only an imp.

You know how sometimes the moment you first sniff a new scent, you feel an instant emotional connection with it and pray it won't fall to pieces when you put it on your skin? And then when you do, it's even better than it was in the imp or bottle and you're flying high on a new love? That's me with the Emperor's Beard. And I'm not even particularly fond of facial hair (fucking hipsters).

Resniffing the decant, I'm not even sure what grabbed me. It's sharp tobacco, almost camphorous patch, sharp pine needle. But these are notes that tend to soften beautifully on my skin, and within minutes the tobacco becomes the most gorgeous sweet tobacco, and the patch and the pine just spread out a musky blanket beneath the tobacco tree and lounge. I'm not able to pick out the bergamot or sandalwood, but who cares, this is gorgeous on me. It would smell magnificent on a guy too, if I had one who would be willing to try it. Bottle.

Tobacco, musk, touch of patchouli and sandalwood. This is a musky manly tobacco blend and I really enjoy it. Good throw and wear length.

Surprisingly, the bergamot and pine needle end up taking over. Wet, it's definitely tobacco, but drydown let's those other notes come out. It's more masculine in my opinion.

Whoa baby!

This is fantastic. It's like the best possible distillation of positive masculine smells for me. It's like Beth got cotton t-shirts worn by my father, husband & son, dipped them in a bucket of St. Clare, and bottled it. I am totally hooked. This has grabbed me by the heart. Bottle required.

Wet: Mm, lots of handsome patchouli, with a bare hint of tobacco. There was cologne, too, which I was not loving as much, but the patch was sure attractive.

Dry: The cologne calmed down, except to just barely nuance the patchouli. From then on, I just got the patchouli, with its adult nuance.

After a while, the blend turned a bit powdery on me, so it was a powdery patchouli.

Loved the patch.

At first, all I can smell is the dime store musk. If you've ever known a man who wore some kind of traditional musky cologne, this will pull at your heartstrings. I'm reminded a little bit of my dad's Old Spice cologne.

That musk takes a backseat as the scent blooms; I think the scent becomes less blatantly "men's cologne" as it wears. I'm getting sweet, barely spicy, woody, pine needly, powdery patchouli. Very comforting. I really dig it. Hold on past that initial musky blast, it's worth it.