Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Little Bird

Great Basin Woodnymph

A child of summer, the woodnymph sips moisture from the sand and flits through grasses and wild buckwheat.

Hay and grasses with two eyespots of cacao and tonka.

Great Basin Woodnymph is lovely, and I can pick out all four of the listed notes. I enjoy green grass fragrances, but they are difficult for me to wear, as they usually take on a too green, slightly sour, sharp edge. The toasty hay with its soft, lemony scent and the sweet creaminess of the tonka and cocoa are wonderful, though, and take the sharpness out of the green grass. I always get this lemony scent from bpal's hay notes, like in Hay Moon. The toasty notes, lemon and vanilla-ish tonka swirl together and smell like having a decadent little lemon cream tart on a bed of dying grasses. I like the fresh, outdoorsy gourmand feel.

Hay, GRASS, and a swirl of vanilla tonka. This is mainly a grassy blend. If you like grass, give this a whirl. Medium throw, good wear length.

When I read the description for this, I thought of Tarantula Fascinator, which has this amazing combo of hay and chocolate that I just ADORE. So I blind bottled it! Really I love hay scents in general, so I am hoping this was a safe choice for me.

Wet: Nose to skin I get lots of cacao and Tonka, which is cool because I feel like I can never pick Tonka out of a blend. I get a bit of nose tickly hay, and it makes me smile. The throw has a LOT of grass in it - not the dried grass I was expecting, but a slightly greener note. It's quite lovely. This is a very unique sort of scent, and I am really digging it!

Dry: This is so lovely! Hay always has this dry, sort of spicy, perfumey quality on me, and I love it. It's gorgeous here with the subtle cacao, and a good dose of vanillic tonka. I really like it, it's quite different, and I am glad I blind bottled it! It feels like a late summer/early fall kind of scent. It's cooler here today, and I can feel the faintest beginnings of fall in the air, so I slathered this. :D

In the imp: I can pick out something grass-y, and something I can only describe as a vague... herbal-fruit-y? It's very hard to pin down, but not at all what I expected.

Worn: Immediately, oh, there's the hay! It's still fairly fresh, not a dry hay, but like it's still growing wild in the field. The grass is green and mostly fresh too, like an unmown patch grown wild under the summer sun. Now I can cacao and tonka beneath enhancing the sweetness of the grass, but not too distinct or prominent on their own. They're definitely supporting players.

Long term: To quote my notes, 'graaaaaaaaaaaaass'. The distinctive hay and being able to pick out the tonka and cacao leaves, and it becomes a slightly dry but still living grass scent that has a good life span. If you like grass scents, this is a pretty nice one, but for me, it'd fall under using up the decant but probably not bothering to get a full bottle, since the long term is rather single note.

This has a green, grassy vibe when it's wet. I am getting a bit of sweetness, though I'm not sure if it's the hay or the tonka. I do not smell any cocoa. This is very light on me. I have to put my nose right up to it to smell anything. As it dries, I still get some greenness from the grass, but the hay and tonka are coming out, turning it into a sweet, dry scent. I was hoping for a bit more hay from this, so I probably won't get a full bottle.

The freshly applied Woodnymph carries tonka and cacao with a side of dry but greenish grass, the grass of late summer into autumn.

The tonka is fairly prominent. The cacao is softer than chocolate notes often are on me, which is a relief because I have more choco-scents than I wear. It's not especially sweet and is mostly having a drying and browning effect on the blend, pushing it toward autumn.

I love the sense of drying grasses to the blend. I may need to bottle this one.

It's nice to pair with Harvest of the Empress, with its hay and wheat.

I was so looking forward to this one...

on wet: there was the cacao and Tonka over something a little grassy and lemony (representing the hay I guess)... fast forward 5 mins and it smells like lemon scented toilet cleaner... what the?! 

I just... it’s so... 😭

This bottle will be going to the back of my drawer until it thinks about what it’s done and is ready to be good again 🥺

will be be coming back to update in a few months! Hoping this isn’t the end for us 🤞🏼

Edited by Lilah Ladybug
I can’t grammar...

Hay & grass combo smells very similar to that in Hay Moon. The tonka rounds any sharp edges, and the cacao adds a bit of depth without being too foody. A soft scent for sunny late summer/early autumn days.

Something in Great Basin Woodnymph goes badly awry on me.  Instead of grass and hay and dry cacao, I get urinal cake.  Hints of the other notes, but mainly that sickly public toilet smell.  I wasn't in a position to scrub it off, and eventually it mellowed to something more bearable, Tonka has never done this to me before -- some kind of weird combination effect?  I'll be passing this decant on to someone whose skin chemistry will let them wear it more gracefully.