Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nilbog

Smoky Rose?

When I was little my mother bought my sister and I two pairs of rosary beads. My Mom dubbed it a miracle after praying to Mary that the beads took on the wonderful scent of rose. It was a full bodied sweet and woody (perhaps smoky) rose, of course the wood lent by the olive wood of the beads. Anyone have any suggestions for a BPAL equivalent scent? I have only tried The Rose before and it was much too green for my taste.

Edited by Nilbog

I always found Rose Cross in the Sin and Salvation section to be a smoky rose incense.

Rose Cross: A profound symbol of an individual’s personal initiatic process, spiritual refinement and evolution, synthesis, grace found as a result of trial and suffering, and the alchemical process by which we transform the raw essence of our souls through light in extension. This is a holy oil, a representation of the triumph of spirit over matter: purest rose with sacred frankincense.

I think you'd like Spellbound in the GC (musky incensey rose), CIcuta in the Vampires (rose/incense/candle smoke), and Elizabeth of Bohemia (rose and oudh) from the Lupers if you can get a hold of some. It appeared in a couple of different years and I don't think it's super rare.

Although it doesn't have any "true" rose note listed (rose geranium is a different plant species, though it reads as rose to some in the reviews), reading your description made me wonder if Kostnice might be up your alley? It's DC'd, but regularly shows up in sales posts and on the BPAL etsy site:

A celebration of the Bone Church of Prague. Frankincense, rosewood, lily, and geranium rose.

Here's the review thread: http://www.bpal.org/topic/2609-kostnice/

Thank you all! Looks like Rose Cross will be my best bet.

It's definitely worth a shot, since it's GC and you can easily get an imp to try. It's a pretty scent and might be what you're looking for! :)

If you can find it, possibly the LE Heavenly Spark:

The echoes of the incense smoke of hundreds upon hundreds of years curling around roses and oak branches.

The rose doesn't dominate on me, but its mood is definitely smoky and pensive and a little mystical, and I can see it reminding of rosary beads.

Harlot, Seraglio, or Jezebel may be worth a sample. These are all an incense plus roses smell. None are too green.

Lilith is a musky, resinous rose with myrrh. Venice is a wildcard suggestion, but is a full bodied red rose with sandalwood in the mix.

If Rose Cross isn't what you're looking for, I would suggest Beauty, The Agrieved. Reviews describe it as incense plus roses. It has more than frankincense, it has frankincense, roses, myrrh, and sandalwood.

Harlot, Seraglio, or Jezebel may be worth a sample. These are all an incense plus roses smell. None are too green.

Lilith is a musky, resinous rose with myrrh. Venice is a wildcard suggestion, but is a full bodied red rose with sandalwood in the mix.

If Rose Cross isn't what you're looking for, I would suggest Beauty, The Agrieved. Reviews describe it as incense plus roses. It has more than frankincense, it has frankincense, roses, myrrh, and sandalwood.

Jezebel is a velvety, full-bodied rose that isn't at all green on me, but the orange blossom note in it is very strong - the wet stage in particular smells like I poured a glass of orange juice on my arm.