Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller Hair Gloss

Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, black currant, patchouli leaf and wild plum.

Full disclosure: I was definitely one of the people voting for this scent in this vehicle, so already, I'm anticipating greatness!

It's been a long while since I've experienced a "fresh" batch of Mme. Moriarty, my current perfume bottle is from the original release, so it's very, very well-aged. There's a "sharpness" to it fresh, just as there is with Snake Oil. Some scents just need a little time to ruminate! That said, all the important elements are here in spades, and as usual, Puddin' -bless 'im- poured in the perfume with a heavy hand indeed. All of which is to say, a little goes a long way!

Even fresh, it's the same yummy scent we've all grown to pledge eternal love for, in a great format- I know that the small amount I spray in my hare today will continue to offer me little wiffs of scent for several days to come- and I couldn't be happier about it!

I discovered how much I like red musk recently enough that I never got around to sniffing this scent directly from the lab or otherwise. I voted for this iteration in the lunacy, and then happened to be making another purchase when it was available so I took a chance on it, knowing that someone would gladly claim it if it didn't work on me. I am so glad I did! The red musk and patchouli leaf and fruits are so perfectly balanced! I didn't jump on it when it appeared at the lab because I don't like fruit scents that much, but this is something where the sum far exceeds the parts. The gloss is also highly scented-it lasts well into the next day.

Lovely. No fruits to my nose. Its all musk, patchouli and a touch of cinnamon (even though its not listed). The perfume, for me, didn't have any of the fruit notes until it aged, I wonder if the same will hold true for the hair gloss? Seems to actually fade to a very low throw rather quickly, which I know contradicts the other reviews. I'm actually happy it mellows, or it could be overwhelming. This is going right in to the hair gloss "regular rotation" of antique lace, smut, and moon reflected.

I really enjoyed the perfume oil, so i knew I had to get this. I'm so happy I did! It's not as fruity right out of the gate as with the oil. I actually thought it was a little smoky and musky. It lasted all day, which was great. As it wore on, it became more fruity which I was very happy about. I was never overwhelmed by the scent, which was a slight worry. It was unfounded, because it never got too strong at all. I'm very happy to have it in my collection. I think it will only get better with age.

Confession: I've never actually smelled Mme. Moriarty before. I haven't felt like blind-bottling and it's not one I often see up for swap. Now that I have this on my hair, I can see why! The patch is surprisingly subtle, with the fruit blending in perfectly and forming a warm, sweet base. The vanilla (and possibly the musk?) are creating this incredible cotton candy overtone that ends up as the most prominent part. I love the lab's pure-sugar notes, so this is a huge plus for me. Throw is decent but not huge on this, and I can think of lots of things in my collection this will go with perfectly. Very glad I took a chance on it, and eventually I'll have to get the perfume version too.

Mme. Moriarty in hair gloss form makes for a great layering hair gloss with other red musk scents, and of course, with Mme. Moriarty the perfume. This smells very similar to the perfume oil, a red musk/patchouli/plum blend, with the pomegranate, black currant, and vanilla chiming in on the second level. It's an incensey scent for those of us who like red musk. I'll enjoy this!

I adore Mme. Moriarty perfume and am rationing my original bottle of her while I'm able to wear the more recent release of the perfume with wilder abandon. I obviously voted for Mme. Moriarty in the lunacy poll, and although I would have LOVED a bath oil, it was a no-brainer to order the hair gloss.

Scent-wise, my bottle is definitely that scent I love, but it is very soft and I was surprised by that. The lack of strength and throw make the hair gloss wearable in many more settings, but I was really hoping for a stronger WOMAN in my bottle of hair gloss, as she is in the perfume.

So, I have to admit. I thought those who mentioned cinnamon/spice in Mme. HG were likely mistaken. Surely not. But when I sprayed it, I totally got a weird almost cinnamon (but not really?) sort of spice coming through. Then it settled into the more familiar scent of Mme. Moriarty. It's not totally identical to me though. Maybe it needs some age? Either way, quite happy to have it, it's great. The musk in Mme is one of the best I have ever smelled, and it comes through true here.

Huh, so this is what Mme. Moriarty is supposed to smell like.

Caveat and big old story time: A loooong time ago, I tried Mme. Moriarty with jewelbug. Let's just say that it was a giant disaster and everyone agreed that it smelled like BO to me.

The hairgloss smells like plum, red musk, and incense. Which is how the perfume smelled like on jewelbug. Dark, red, sexy.

When I first smelled this from the mailbox, it seemed more vanilla heavy than the perfume. I really thought I was in trouble, as it smelled even better than the perfume, if that is even possible. Fast forward a couple of weeks, and it is quite similar to the perfume, a bit spicy and full of plum, musky goodness. It is rather faint in my hair, though. The hair gloss smells better than the perfume, to me, and I kind of wish I got a bottle rather than a decant. That will learn me, though I wish the scent came out more from my hair.