Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Frostbitten Jersey Devil

No additional description provided. Scent description for Jersey Devil is here.]

This one is mainly Jersey Devil with a touch of snow. I get mainly notes of frosted cranberries and blackberries. And a background of cedar. Good throw and wear length.

Odd woods. Peculiar and foreboding forests right off the bat, with a hint of something vegetable that I suspect is the tomato leaf (though I'm aware it's a fruit lol). This lingers for a half-hour or so before the berry notes begin to progressively sweeten - unexpectedly morphs in a really nice way! I've never tried the original Jersey Devil, but this is certainly befitting of a cryptid. The 'frostbitten' effect is less a sharp, stinging cold and more of a wintry hush - vegetation succumbed to the cold not by blizzard but by frost. Had my doubts about this when first trying it, but it's quickly begun to grow on me. Up-close the 'strangeness' remains but from a distance the throw of berries is surprisingly sweet. Makes for a very interesting holiday scent.

The Jersey Devil is normally all patchouli with sour berries on me. Something about this frostbitten note makes it soft, chilly with a hint of pine and berry. DAMN IT...I need a bottle!

The GC Jersey Devil is one of my favorites, so I feel I must review this one out of loyalty!

It smells the same on me as it does in the bottle. Compared to the regular JD's pine, I find that the cranberry and cedar are the strongest notes here. I don't distinctly smell the snow note the same way I do in Frostbitten Dorian, but it has an overall dainty sweetness that regular Jersey Devil lacks. The cranberry is much more sugared instead of tart. The pine sort of hangs out in the background, and I don't get the tomato leaf at all.

If you want to try a prettier and more feminine version of Jersey Devil, I'd recommend it.

In the decant: I'm getting far more blackberry leaf and cranberry than I get from straight-up Jersey Devil! These are the strongest notes in the imp, with the tomato leaf, cedar, and pine lurking behind them, sweetened by the snow note.

Wet: This is fruit dominant on me, with the blackberry leaf being particularly strong, and the cranberry isn't far behind. I only got a hint of the fruity notes in the GC scent, so I'm surprised by how much stronger they are in this version. After a few minutes, the cedar, tomato leaf, and pine pitch poke out, but I am not being hit with a blast of pine like I was when I tried the GC. I'm actually getting more cedar than pine. Curiously enough, the sweet snow note isn't playing a big role here and isn't as distinct as it was in scents like Frostbitten Dorian and Frostbitten Snake Oil. It just seems to be sweetening the scent.

Dry: This is still really strong on the blackberry leaf and cranberry notes, with still more blackberry leaf than cranberry on me. The pine is stronger than the cedar now, but the pine, cedar, and tomato leaf continue to reside in the background. I'm still not getting the sweet snow note as a distinct note. It just seems to be making the berry notes even sweeter.

Verdict: I was hoping for snow-covered forest, but alas, this is way too fruity on me.

In the decant: Mostly cranberry. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's mostly pine pitch. As it dries, the pine recedes, and the cranberry -- now along with blackberry -- becomes the prominent note. It's backed by the woods, and the snow note here is working to soften everything; the entire scent here is not as strident on me as regular Jersey Devil is. 

It doesn't morph much from here, and it stays a very low throw scent on me. 

The GC Jersey Devil was a surprise hit for me, so I grabbed this from the Lab's Etsy!

If you like the classic Jersey Devil, this is pretty similar - a lot of cranberry and blackberry, with the warmth of tomato leaf and some deep woods at the back. This Frostbitten version feels cooler, softer, and sweeter - it's not a screamingly loud snow note; it's just adding a sort of chilly sugar, like a dusting of powdery snow, or a fluffy snowdrift - it's a friendly snow. I think this version might have lower throw than the GC JD; I didn't find that bottle to compare, but that's my impression. Basically Jersey Devil but gently blanketed and smoothed by cool fluffy sweetness!