Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hammy

The Silver Dollar

His fingers closed around the Liberty dollar in his pocket, and he remembered Zorya Polunochnaya, and the way she had looked at him in the moonlight. Did you ask her what she wanted? It is the wisest thing to ask the dead. Sometimes they will tell you.

Gilded iris and Siamese benzoin, silvery-white musk, white tea leaf, and bergamot.

In the bottle - Definitely silver and metallic. I get the metallic tang of Flintstones vitamins and just a touch of citrus brightness.

Wet - Gah! Crazy morph.
It's dead citrus and dull flower petals and old chewed gum. I'm really turned off.

Drydown - My skin ate everything but the iris, which
doesn't smell good on me. Kind of reminds me of the staleness of my grandma's house.

Verdict - Good news! It leveled out a bit the longer I had it on, eventually drying out into a faint and inoffensive floral. Also: my coworker tried this on herself and absolutely loved it. She said it smelled gentle and exquisite -- and on her it did.
I'm bummed that this didn't work for me, but my loss is her gain. Shes absolutely enchanted by it, and I like it way more on her skin. This blend seems highly dependent on skin chemistry.

I have not had a good relationship with bpal tea. I have tried and tried and tried and the tea always went all strangely sour on me or was mixed with sugar which does horrific things on my skin. But here is a tea I can wear! And the drydown here is pretty much straight tea with slivers of musk keeping it from getting too sour.

But first, the opening, it's a really spectacular bergamot top note rush, citrusy and heady. I loooooove this kind of bergamot opener, so this one had me at hello. I also get some iris at this stage, but it's not nearly as floral as I would have expected.

Then Silver Dollar dries down to tea and musk and it behaves perfectly on my skin. I'm madly in love, and definitely keeping.

In the Bottle:

Fine white musk with a green leaf edge.

On the Skin:

Green and silver. The bergamot emerges soon after application. The white tea leaf adds an astringency to amplify the metallic silver feel and the iris adds a powdery, slightly floral note. Lovely and ethereal

On the Drydown:

The bergamot is quite prominent, which is fine by me. Dries down to a silvery bergamot. A nice summer scent

Edited by galahad

White tea and bergamot. This is a silvery bergamot blend with hints of white tea and musk. It's clean, silvery, and gender neutral. Medium to low throw and average wear length.

Wet: Like someone stuck a cold creamsicle into a cup of hot tea. :eek: Not at all what I expected, but super yummy! The tea quickly takes over though. It's quite a perfumey tea, not as bitter as white tea usually is on me (I typically don't like it, but this is nice). There is a bit of a bitter edge, but it's well balanced by the sweet citrus kicks I get from the bergamot, and the hints of silvery musk coming through. Very interesting! Quite a clean sort of scent (but not reminiscent of laundry at all).

Dry: Somewhat soapy tea. Which is surprisingly more pleasant than you would think, however not for me.

On my skin, this is fresh-cut iris stems and benzoin. I never got even a whiff of metal or bergamot, this was consistent all the way through.

It's a very elegant floral, decent throw and longevity.

I was a little apprehensive about this one, but I really love it.

To me it smells like a more mellow version of Embalming Fluid. The bergamot is reading as EF's citrus note, but it's tempered with the green iris stems that TeaOtter mentioned above and the gentle vanilla-ish benzoin note. It's really quite lovely. If Embalming Fluid is a scent for hot summer days in shorts, this one is more for a mild spring day in a tea-length dress with a glass of prosseco.

I've been layering Mr Ibis and Silver Dollar and the green citrus and soft aquatic play together superbly.

This is an elegant and beautiful iris scent on me. I get all of the notes, and the dry down is mostly iris and benzoin, with a hint of bergamot - it's cool, silvery and gorgeous.

Iris is always so unbearably sharp and chemical smelling to me. It's that sharp, artificial, department store white floral smell. Very screechy. Bpal's white tea also tends to be very sharp smelling to me, so it doesn't help matters here, and the bergamot is a sour, sharp lemon. The whole blend smells very cutting, cold and white. Drydown has a hint of soapiness. Gives me a headache.

Silver Dollar really does have a silvery feel to it.  I can't really smell the benzoin, but the iris is a cool, powdery floral against the citrusy white tea and bergamot.  It smells like the bathroom in the Four Seasons in Seattle (happy hour is affordable, really).  This is not a criticism.  Elegant, clean, and expensive.  It's not really me, but I'm glad I had the chance to try it. 

I was always contemplating purchasing a bottle, but wasn't quite sure if it would get along with my skin chemistry. I'm happy to report that it's not a sharp or tart white tea...i suspect the musk and iris keep it in check.

The musk and iris take over the tea note and turn the scent into a clean off-white concoction. I'd associate this scent with medical assistants and white hospital rooms. Very serene and calming and suggestive of safe and sanatized hospital spaces.