Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kebechet

More great news.

Elizabeth, if you need any extra shipping money, just let me know - I'll PayPal it through to you straight away.

Sending parcels from the UK to the US is becoming more of a chore too - we now have to itemise EVERYTHING (and I mean everything - even greetings cards and giftwrap, believe it or not) inside the parcel on the customs slip. This rather takes the 'surprise' out of 'surprise' presents ... :P

Rosie

Oh Beth, more hassle you don't need. Sorry you are still suffering shipping woes.

Like the others above, I am more than happy to pay extra for postage / insurance or whatever makes life easier.

Good Luck at the Doctor's. :P

Take care,

Pam.

Me too!

It such a piddly amount for a lot less hassle

I will gladly add insuance now for my package to Ireland. :D

:P be nice to you and add insurance as mandatory!

Yet another vote for having a fee paid by the customer for mandatory insurance. Hell, I've paid up to $25 extra for FedEx or UPS shipping, and didn't even really mind doing it, because it meant I got my stuff within two days of ordering it.

I honestly don't think there's one person who has ever experienced your oils who would think twice about paying a bit extra to lessen the burden on you, Beth. Plus, the popularity of the Lab is growing (I've already got my friends in Pittsburgh begging me to bring ALL of my BPAL scents when I go to visit next week) and as the business grows, you can't put all this stress on yourself (sorry if I sound like I'm getting into my Social Worker mode). It sounds like there's a consensus here to take that stress away from you. Take advantage of our offer, doll!

I so agree with Twistygirl! Your business is growing like hell, I think nothing can stop that! But you should really consider hiring more people. Maybe someone who does all the shipping things. That gives you more space to focus on the things you love (THE core business) :P

Yet another vote for having a fee paid by the customer for mandatory insurance.  Hell, I've paid up to $25 extra for FedEx or UPS shipping, and didn't even really mind doing it, because it meant I got my stuff within two days of ordering it.

SO DITTO!!! Whenever I possibly can, I try and get 2nd Day UPS. Call me anal and impatient, but I love to track my stuff with a company that actually inputs data! OMG, the post office never updates anything. How do they stay in business???

:P

I am MORE than happy to pay insurance on my packages. To be honest, it never occurred to me that the insurance wasn't in the shipping price already. :P I'm slow.

You'd have to do a little adjusting to your CCNow info. Let's see ...

up to $50 $1.30

to $100 $2.20

to $200 $3.20

to $300 $4.20

to $400 $5.20

and on and on, $1.00 more for every $100 of value, up to $5000.

There's an order I'd like to see! :D

I second, third, fourth (whatever the number it is up to now) the idea of adding insurance to cost of shipping. I just placed an order a little while ago, so I will be more than willing to paypal you the amount for the insurance. I just need one tiny detail, your paypal email account, maybe someone can share that with me since Elizabeth is going to be afk for today (I am assuming this because of her medical situation).

Honestly, I just assumed the insurance was included in BPAL rates. I just paid $8.50 for shipping. The actual postage was $3.85 I think...I figured maybe $.45 for delivery confirmation, $2.20 for insurance, $1-2 handing fee.

You all are going to hate me for saying this, but I can't pay $10 shipping on a small, light package under 1lb. I do a lot of online shopping and it just doesn't sit well with me.

There are so many companies out there that inflate their shipping rates. I'm NOT saying Black Phoenix is one of them. It's just something I see a lot. Especially on Ebay. LUSH's shipping is rediculous. I would rather see companies charge what they need to for their products and charge actual shipping...instead of giving some "deal" on a product and inflating the shipping costs.

I am in no way pointing fingers at anyone...Just my $.02 about shipping and the web. Sorry about going off on that tangent!

--amy

I've done a lot of shipping for Ebay and MUA stuff over the last three years, and one thing that I learned the hard way was allotting for packaging. You'll laugh, but tape and bubble wrap get very expensive very quickly - and my packages from Beth come with a shitload of bubble wrap. Then there's gas and time to and from the post office - if you're a small business, you're paying someone for that time, either in cash or manufacturing time lost.

I, too, have issues with shipping like Lush's (although I still buy from them occasionally, so I can't complain much :P); I do try to give small businesses the benefit of the doubt, as costs to do any and everything are higher for them than "the big guys."

Don't forget, whoever handles your credit card transactions tack on a fee as well. PayPal does it (for Premier/Business members), and I'm sure other companies such as CCNow, 2Checkout, and Revecom do it. In the long run, it may benefit the Lab to look into getting their own merchant account, rather than rely on a third party to process their transactions.

Honestly, I just assumed the insurance was included in BPAL rates. I just paid $8.50 for shipping. The actual postage was $3.85 I think...I figured maybe $.45 for delivery confirmation, $2.20 for insurance, $1-2 handing fee.

That's a good point, especially concerning the larger orders.

In the long run, it may benefit the Lab to look into getting their own merchant account, rather than rely on a third party to process their transactions.

even if they get their own accounts, there's still fees. i "got" to input sales for one of my parents' clients this morning (since i made the mistake of arriving early for lunch), and the lube place was paying 5-10% in fees to MC/V plus some transaction fee. (discover, btw, doesn't do that.)

but like this place charges a (30c fee + 2.59%) / transaction fee and $10/month statement fee and and a $25/month minimum fee from the 2.59% fee.

paypal's actually cheaper than that at 30c+2.2-2.9% without monthly fees or minimum fees.

Just for the record...

Miserable CcNow charges us $9.95 per month, plus 9% of all transactions including the shipping charge. If someone uses a bunk credit card, they charge *us* $30 on top of the money we lose on the order, the product and shipping. Packing materials [bubble wrap in particular] costs us about $70.00 per month. The USPS provides free boxes. We mark up the oils by only an average of $2.00 each over what it costs to manufacture the oils, and the bulk of that is now going to paying employees.

I didn't realize until recently that we were losing $1.00 on every Canadian order, but I haven't had a moment to adjust it in the system.

I don't have a problem sending money orders instead of using the credit card.

If that helps on your end at all...

Is there a benefit to using CCNow instead of just using Paypal? Just curious.

ease of use, perhaps? not requiring a paypal an account?

honestly, it wouldn't be horribly hard to go and regenerate the site to be entirely database-driven now that the database has been started (the only thing that would be new would be product/category maintenance stuff), and then to slap on a store module that uses paypal...

True, but PayPal is also known for randomly freezing accounts if they feel there's suspicious activity afoot. And I think there's a limit at how much money you can transfer to your bank account each month. I don't know if that applies to vendors, though.

:P

Shoot, I placed my first order through CCNOW a few days ago. I didn't realize you have to pay them 9% per purchase--do you have a different preferred way to receive orders?

i'd be happy to use money orders and pay insurance. the only downside is the turnaround time, because your product is sooo addictive!

please be well.

Yes.. I've been lurking & not posting :D

I also just placed an order, and had I a damn brain in my head, I would've emailed to ask if you prefer I NOT go through CCNow ..

Paypal over CCNow .. well, paypal is a bit cheaper, though not everyone has it, with CCNow you can use Credit cards BUT you only get paid twice a month, NOT instantly .. which sucks.

ECommerce is not as cheap as its cracked up to be, All online payments charge fee's to the seller, Real Merchant accounts are twice as expensive and you would have to have an awful lot of business for it to be worthwhile, and with all the other expenses, packing material, supplies ( bottles, labels, .. etc in BP's case )

Web hostong, etc etc ..

Most of us hardly make ANY profit..

So why do we do it ??

MUST be because we love owning our own business, though some days ... just plain suck, lol ~

BP Honey, I feel for ya, you have had more troubles this past year than ever :D(

Time for a turn around!

I've also checked into other shipping methods .. UPS .. etc .. but I end up packing my own stuff & carting the load to the PO everytime I ship .. which saves me the pickup fee, ( but gas is horrid, so luckily I live close to a post office! ) and I use Delivery confirmation on everything that ships within the US ..

I've had only one "lost" package that I know of and that, well, I think was just stolen. Never had much problem with international shipping either, I must be one ofthe lucky ones :P

If I lived closer, I'd come help you, Doll !

Anyhoo ~

HELLO to Beth, Gothabilly ( you wench MIA !! ), Angela & BlackRayne .. so far you are the only lovelies I recognize!!

( sorry for being long winded ! )

A big Hi to everyone else :D

wooohoooo!  the wench express!  can i have a ride on your purple plane?!?!

*cannot let smut opportunities pass unattended* :D

lol, oops, yeeks... :D :P :D

Dammit, I had a thought of asking about whether or not I should use CCNow when I placed my order this morning. I remember Elizabeth complaining about them, but for some reason my brain did not think about emailing and asking if she would like me to paypal her instead. As far as shippijg costs go, I look at them as a necessary evil of online ordering. I order quite a few things online have just learn to accept the costs.