Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Upstart Crow

The Sea of Ice

Caspar David Friedrich

A gravestone of polar ice.

For real? No one has reviewed this yet?

This is just a gorgeous scent. It's one of nine (!!!) I got blind bottles of this year because the Yules were just that awesome.

In bottle: I get a faint hint of the BPAL snow note and something very sweet, a little green, and floral that has just a hint of wallpaper paste--but not in a bad way. I have absolutely no clue what this is, but it's gorgeous and not at all something I'd expect for a scent with this description, as I expected Sea of Ice to be more like Hypothermia from 2009 or Nuclear Winter.

Applied, wet: Paste isn't a problem at all, and this becomes sweet, refreshing, and vital and faintly aquatic. But just faintly. This makes me think of glaciers with the warmth of the sea nearby. Of meltwater, of--wait for it!--the ocean with ice floes in it. Incredible.

Drydown: The same, but marginally more aquatic. Has a fairly decent throw, seems that it will last moderately on my skin.

This is just spectacular. I may need a backup bottle before the Yules come down.

I get ozone and aquatic notes...but softened. There is nothing particularly cold about this scent, it just smells like fresh air and water, but still and clean, not sharp or bracing.

Sweet aquatic florals. I'm pretty sure there is some violet in this. It's clean, sweet violets. Good throw and wear length.

The Sea of Ice is softer than I imagined it might be, with those shards of ice sheets stacking up in notes of chilly waters, gentle herbals (rosemary and lavender?), and the barest touch of something like mint. On my skin it reads almost like a more muted, less minty, more aquatic version of Stress Relief Elixir. When dry, it telegraphs as a clean scent with vague herbal undernotes.

Wet: Aquatic, almost soapy.

Dry: Slightly soapy. Like a soap with ”winter landscape” as scent, a clean kind of scent. Or soap on stone. A soapy stone and its cold outside.
With wear the soapyness softens and fades. Left is still a very clean… stone. But its (just a tiny bit) earthier. As its been smudged with some dirt. Theres also ozone now, fresh dry air.

The sea of ice fades fast, as its already going faint at 2 hours.
During its last stage of wear its a pretty stone/ozone scent. Not exactly ice, but cold ozone and dry air. And large blocks of gray stone in an enviroment naked from grass and trees.

Dominant notes: Soap (snow!), stone, ozone
Type: Atmosphere/ozone

Lasting: 2 hours

Wet: Icy and aquatic. The ice is working for me, the aquatic saltiness not so much.

Dry: There is something else in here and I cannot put my finger on it. Something woody or floral perhaps? Something resiny? No clue. But if you like the lab's ice note, or love aquatics, I imagine you'll love it.

I get no ice, i get no freshness, i get no ozone. What i get instead is a full-on chypre smell and reminds me on the spot of Roberto Cappuci for Homme 1967 frragrance, It's a bold masculine chypre fragrance. Totally not expecting a sea of ice smelling so manly.

This one's actually rather nice for an aquatic.  It reminds me a lot of The Night Bridge in the Neverwhere scents, but it's more in your face and, I think, leans more masculine.  If The Night Bridge is stone in nighttime coolness, this is stone in a blustery, frigid winter storm.  I get anise, a slightly sweet mint, cologne, and stone.  I don't have a problem with it going soapy on me, which is unusual, and why I've kept this imp around for a couple years.  Icy, energizing, bracing stone. 

Edited by VetchVesper