Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Atrous

St. Louis #1

Drooping Spanish moss and crumbling marble, sweet olive blossom, 13-year aged black patchouli, and offerings of Bay Rum, Florida water, and tobacco.

Wet: Olive blossom and Florida water.

Dry: The two opening notes take a back seat as the moss, Bay Rum, and chewy tobacco come out. The tobacco smells spicy due to the Bay Rum and There's a splash of cologne making this scent more masculine. This all rests on an Earthy base. If I sniff really close I can smell stone. Masculine, spicy, smoky...I have no regrets buying a blind bottle and I expect it will get better with age!

This just came today, only settled for a few hours, but it smells so amazing in the bottle I have to try it!

Wet: Very unisex and clean smelling. As it warms up, it seems to meld with my skin. I am having a hard time picking out notes. Hoping for rum, patchouli and tobacco in the forefront, but it's really well blended and I can't say that I can pick anything out, really. It's very soft. I added a dab more, and can now pick out patchouli and bay rum. Just sweet enough. I think I quite like it, but it's so faint!!

dry: I can smell this more once it's dry. There's something about it that reminds me a wee bit of Hellhound. :eek: It has a similar vibe, to me. This comes off more masculine to me though, where I find Hellhound dries down pretty feminine, on me. I like this a lot, but am just not sure how it would wear on me. I think it needs further testing. Bay rum dominant right now, hoping with some aging maybe the patch and tobacco will come through more.

On wet, this is olive blossom and florida water. And then this amazing transformation of tobacco + bay rum + patchouli comes out. And yes, This smells like an amped up version of Voodoo mixed with the herbs in Hellhound. And really, it smells manly, sexy and earthy. UNF.

I dropped a little on the mouse pad and it smells very differently on the skin as opposed to just on an inanimate object. The warmth clearly makes everything blend together.

Must try on mr. zee_zee.

I have no idea how to identify any of these notes. I was thinking that the moss was the general sweet, floral scent, but maybe it's olive blossom? In the end, I agree with zankoku_zen, amazing transformation of tobacco + bay rum + patchouli comes out. This smells wonderful on my husband, but that isn't saying that it's expressly masculine. I just happen to enjoy the earthy way this smells on my husband. It does smell a bit sweet, but it seems complex enough that the sweetness fills out well with everything.

I really enjoy St. Louis #1. It reminds me of a more masculine Storyville, and feels like it should be in the family as Storyville, Voodoo Queen, and Doc Buzzard. It's complex, mystical and reminds me of early bpal blends. The bay rum and Florida water give this a rich, spicy cologne feel that lays over the sticky, dark tobacco base just beautifully. Sweet clove and sweet tobacco with a hint of smokiness. There's a splash of citrusy men's cologne and a touch of the sour, green moss. The patchouli is barely there, just adding a hint of grounding earthiness. It smells sexy, old fashioned (but not outdated) and Southern. I love the sweet, toasty clove scent in this.

St. Louis No.1 for the win!

Somewhat masculine, with the tobacco but not so much that it dominates. It is such a beautiful and haunting blend, and makes me feel nostalgic. The perfect blend of sweet and earthy.

I guess this can be considered a masculine smell, but i feel like my best self when wearing this. Its spicy and sweet. The longevity is great and blends into you in the drydown instead of just disappearing. When my husband smelled me he actually said " what the fuck is that" (in a positive way lol)

St. Louis #1 is a lovely earthy blend, dancing with delicate florals, and a touch of sweetness. It’s not as citrusy as I expected with the Florida Water, though I may get a touch of it if I focus. I’m definitely getting the sense of the crumbling marble, to my delight.
I feel like I’m sitting out on some mossy stone steps, sniffing the air as a wind blows through blooming olive trees and the scent of a cigar from somewhere nearby and the warmth of bay rum running through my veins. 
Very atmospheric and comforting.

When I read the reviews, I was wondering if it would turn out better than I originally expected. I like it a lot! :D Thanks to the reviewers above for piquing my interest! 

so i decided to try st. lois one more time before she was off to the swaps, but i must confess i've completely changed my mind about her. this scent really set off my neuroticism bc i have to know why this smells appealing? i even sketched a diagram of my arm to keep track of scents i was death matchin (and was also trying to stay busy, cause elections).  note: this imp was not decanted, but part of a HM collection release in 2019.

on wet: this immediately reminded me of coiled serpent because it has a "yogic" feel to it: dry, spicy, cleansing, but this is more flowery. i'm wondering where the extra spice is coming from, perhaps that bay rum??? patch isn't usually this spicy on me, and i can't think of any other note doing this. there is a sweet floral element which i suspect to be the tobacco, florida water, and olive blossom. i'm not sure what bay rum smells like, so i can't really speak to what it's doing here.

drying: okay, this is getting sweeter and the florals are starting to amplify. it's losing it's yogic-ness!!! :( i liked it more in the wet phase. it's a floral, herbal, spicy, and a bit perfumey/cologney. this kind of reminds me of a chinese herbal store.

Edited by murqmaid