Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
milo

Devil's Night 2016

Mod Note: Slight difference in notes from previous Devil's Night releases (soot-crusted musk) merits a new review topic.

Devil's Eve, Devil's Night, Gate Night, Trick Night, Mischief Night; whatever your name for it might be, the chaos is still the same. Contrary to popular belief, this festival of pandemonium isn't unique to Detroit. Falling on October 30th, it is an evening of mayhem and destruction. On the gentler side, it may be celebrated by practical jokes, an egging, Ding-Dong-Ditch, or enthusiastic TP'ing of your most hated neighbor's trees, and on the more violent side, arson and vandalism. This is the scent of autumn night, fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and soot-crusted musk.

Wow first?! Just a bit of background. I loved Devil's Night 08 and REALLY regret swapping it away when it was just under half. I found it to be a slightly sweetened musk, very Storyville-esque, a sophisticated foody and not sure what I was thinking when I swapped it. Ever since then, I've been ordering decants and last year broke down and got a bottle, hoping it would be the same. Of course, the decants and bottle never measured up. Not even close. Last years was a disaster of sour musk if I remember correctly. THIS year, I'm happy to report is AMAZING!! It is sweet cookied musk with a touch of smoke to make it interesting. It's like eating skor cookies by the fire with musky leaves in the background. It is reminiscent of Storyville with a bit of smoke. LOVE, and it will only get better with age, folks. Backup worthy, another bottle for sure. :)

A surprise hit for me. It smells both smoky and gooey--like roasting marshmallows by a campfire and telling scary tales. It's perfect parts midnight mischief and nostalgic comfort.

A surprise hit for me. It smells both smoky and gooey--like roasting marshmallows by a campfire and telling scary tales. It's perfect parts midnight mischief and nostalgic comfort.

It's so funny to me that you say this--my exact words describing this scent the first time I wore it were, "It smells just like the skewer after you pull the roasted marshmallow off it by the campfire."

Needless to say, it's a total hit for me. Smokey and sugary sweet, to me a hint of hot metal -- very atmospheric. I'm fighting with myself on a backup bottle. Do I really need it? Probably not, but boy oh boy do I want it.

Edited by MischiefofRats

A surprise hit for me too! My favorite of the 5 bottles of Weenies I ordered. The first thing I smell after applying to my wrist is the cooking-sugar smell, which I absolutely adore. The "fires in the distance" I can clearly smell, along with a touch of musk. The overall effect is a not-quite-foodie but sweet smokey scent perfect for fall.

ETA: After about an hour and a half this lost the smokey sugary loveliness and turned to kind of a plain sweet musk. I sure wish the smoke would stick around... 😢

Edited by Foodie

This one was a real bummer for me because it seemed to hit on all my note sweet spots, but alas, it's sweeter than I would like - I wanted a little more autumn night and soot. But most significantly, this fades to nothing on me in no time, which seems absurd since it has musk in it! My skin just eats it up. Oh well, to the swap/sales page for someone else to love.

What a gorgeous blend! I can smell all the notes dancing together perfectly. I can detect the woods, a few evergreen trees, a smoky fire and sugary musk. It's very much like making out with your lover by the fireside, yet beautifully delicate like the wind gently blowing aromatic spruce and oaks. It wears very close to the skin and makes me want a giant jug of it so I can slather it on after a shower or bath. Everyday is my favorite day when I wear this, and it must be with me always :heart:

Oh my goodness. This is my favorite of all the weenies I ordered. It was a last minute purchase after reading reviews, which are all dead on. Devil's Night smells perfectly spooky and cozy. It's sugary and smokey and happy. I've had it for a day and it's definitely in my top 3 of all time. If you want to smell like a roasted marshmallow, you won't be disappointed with this one.

Edited by revived

Wet: Sweet and smoky! Reminds me (in feel more than scent) of both Arcana's Vanilla Craves Terror and Baby's First Krampuslauf, because they both have that similar sweet/smoky thing going on, I really like it. I do get hints of something sour though, and hope that settles on my skin. Also a bit stuffed up today, makes it harder to catch all the nuances (but I need the pick-me-up of testing Weenies, so I am doing it anyway!!)

Dry: Very faint, but nice. The sour note fades away. I love the musk in this. I need to test it again when my nose is not stuffed, but this is promising.

Wet on my skin, this is sweet toasted-marshmallow bonfire smoke and the lightest touch of booze. (Rum or whiskey?) It really is light, and even though I don’t usually like booze in scents, I’m enjoying this drop of it with the sugar. I never smell the musk.

I love the way this smells on me, but it’s mostly gone in 20 minutes.

I like this one!

It smells like roasting marshmallows while camping in the woods past the traditional camping season

I get something that makes me think pine, some woodiness & smoke that's topped off with some nice sweetness

Devil's Night 2009 is one of my most favourite BPALs ever. It's the best weenie I've ever tried - perfectly evokes the season and works great with my chemistry. A little goes a long way - I've not even used 1/4 of the bottle and I've owned it for 6 years. Every year I've debated buying another version, but eventually decided in favour of another LE instead.

This year, reviews were really promising and the slight difference in notes had me intrigued.

It's definitely in the same family as it's 2009 brethren, but it stands on it's own. Less throw, this one is very close to skin.

The bonfire is the strongest on me, followed by sweet booze and a hint of powdery musk on a brisk autumn night.

I'm going to retest this one, and tuck it away. Needs to age up just a little bit.

So I bought this completely on a whim while picking up two other LEs (Palmyra and Nasty Woman). Normally I'm not a huge incense/smoke fan, but I think this might be turning me into one. It pretty much immediately became my favorite scent--I don't think I wore much of anything else through the entire month of November.

In the bottle: Sticky marshmallows with unlit firewood in the background. This scent really conjures up an image, and that image is autumn.

On skin, wet: Wood becomes more prominent as it dries, and smoke begins to appear. As the scent evolves it truly feels like the wood is drying out and then being lit!

On skin, dry: A smoky bonfire on a chilly night, with a soft sugary sweetness over the top. The drydown actually reminds me more of cotton candy, possibly because of the soft powderiness of the musk. This stage pretty much lasts forever on me, which is great because it's my favorite part. One of the most true-to-life (and yet not overpowering) smoke notes I've ever smelled.

A very soft, gentle, slightly furry musk. On me it smells almost identical to Coyote. (All I get is a light musk from that one too.) No sugar, no booze, no smoke. Fades quickly. I'm hoping with a little more time this one will develop more.

This turned out to be nothing like what I was expecting. Unfortunately, I'm not getting anything smokey or boozy at all, as I had hoped - on my skin I interpret it almost entirely as ultra-sugary, marshmallow-y candy dust, although it does have a very slight, cool, "crisp autumn air" muskiness lingering in the background. There's also a very slight "green" aspect to this scent to me, something akin to a waft of green grass, that my nose seems to keep insisting is there. For me, there isn't anything that balances the extreme sugary-sweetness of this scent, something I find to be both pleasant and a bit too much, at times. I enjoy it for what it is, but it's not a full-on winner for me.

I get nothing like marshmallow or any sweetness from my bottle. It has that dead leaves, musky-aquatic cologne scent at first. Dries down like a sharp white musk with a hint of sharp woodsmoke. But it's barely a scent at all, because I can't smell it after about ten minutes, no matter how much I slather on.