Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
t_for_tau

BPAL in the Hospital

Not the cheeriest of topics, but I spend a lot of time in hospital as either an out or in-patient, in consultants' offices etc. Though obviously I keep them at a low level cos of other patients, when I'm not no-scent for surgery I like to wear something that I can sniff the hospital smell a bit, especially as that smell really doesn't help w my medical-related PTSD (&, tmi, fear-sweat smells gross >.<).

My go-to scent for this is Pinched as it's a deeply comforting scent to me, but especially since I've had to sell some decants (to pay for medical stuff...) I'm getting a bit anxious about running low. I wondered if other ppl have scents or TALs they prefer for hospital visits?

I couldn't tell you what scent to wear, because everyone's taste is different, but I can suggest how to decide.

Determine what you want to feel at the hospital. Do you need to be brave? Feel calm? Feel comforted? Overcome nausea? Block the smell of something specific? Are you going to be there for hours, or a short visit?

Then go through your collection and sniff to see if the scent evokes that feeling you're looking for. This can change for me depending on the day, the weather, my mood, and what's going on internally. The same sweet berry that was great yesterday is too much today, but the icy marine I passed over yesterday is perfect right now. A heavy vanilla might be comforting for a fall office visit but stomach-churning for an hour in an MRI in July.

Hugs to you and good luck.

As a provider I wear only skin-scents with low throw, which on me are generally musks, resins, woods. As a patient if I know I need something particular, I usually reach for TALs first- things like fortitude and healing. Embalming Fluid is one of my go-to scents for general office type things medical

First, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sending all of the good vibes and wishes for your recovery and wellness.

I was hit with some troubling medical news not long ago and have been in and out of hospitals, doctors offices, etc. as well.

My most recent surgery I wore Alan McMichael because to me it just smelled like the warmest hug. I was really worried about making a scent unwearable due to the memory but it luckily didn't seem to do that to me. I didn't wear him while recovering, but to smell a little better and comforted I wore an extremely familiar scent. I've had Lucy's Kiss from the very beginning of falling in love with bpal so I wore her. I am a little reminded of the hospital when I wear her now, but there are so many previous memories before the hospital that I'm beginning to get past it.

The whole thing actually stigmatized lemon scents for me, though (long story). I don't know when I'll get over that.

I would go through your scents as Soupy suggested. Find the blends that make you feel brave, that remind you of happy memories, or comfort you the most. I guess that's a given, but sometimes you might find comfort in a scent you wouldn't normally wear!

I only just got into TALs so I can't suggest anything yet.

One thing I recently did was invest in a relatively cheap scent necklace. I was scared of wearing a perfume and overwhelming other patients or the nurses/doctors. It also takes very little and it lasts a lot longer than if you wear it on skin. So it was a nice comfort item! You can ration Pinched in it and sniff it when you need it most. I've had the Instruction Manual in mine for about a week and I can still bring it to my nose and smell it!

Next surgery I am thinking of spritzing a blanket with an atmosphere spray and bringing it with me, that could be an idea for you to utilize!

I hope you can find your comfort in these uncomfortable situations :(

As others have said, fragrances are so personal, it's hard to know what fragrances would evoke the right mood for you, but I might wear something like Envy - which I find very relaxing and head clearing, or Santa Eularia des Riu, b/c the bright orange makes me happy, I find the scent calming, and it seems less like a perfume and more like an atmosphere if that makes sense. Both are gender neutral and non obnoxious on me.

I'm in hospitals and clinics a lot through my work. I figured out that the most important thing for me is placement. Stuff both gets wonky and has way too big of throw if I put it in my boobs. I tend to wear a tiny dab of kumiho, shanghai, amsterdam, or Theodosius the Legerdemain behind my ears. I have been wearing 2-4 squirts of hair gloss too these days, as I've been bleaching the crap out of my hair for colors. I'm not hospital staff, so hopefully I'm not being too scent pollutiony

I use my scent locket, I happen to have a clocket from BPTP. I find that when I wear it against the skin, it warms and then I smell a little puff of fragrance. This is generally when I'm charting or doing office stuff. Then if I wear it over my clothing it tends to not emit as much fragrance - sometimes I slip it into my white coat, although with my absentmindedness that would be a recipe for disaster. It's worked out pretty well and worst comes to worst I just put it in my work bag and take it off completely.

They make variants of scent lockets and scent jewelry online if there aren't any current scent lockets available.

1) Hugs & prayers for you & your health care team & family for the best possible healing outcomes, compassion & insight.

2) Scent lockets or pendants can be really great. I got one made of some alloy that was disappointing, because it smelled metallic. 925 silver has been better. (You can cut up old felted wool sweaters to carry the perfume oil, they work really well.)

3) As a scent to sustain & de-stress, I love & recommend Wolf's Heart (BPAL GC.) It's comforting and subtle.

Keep us posted!

I keep a bottle of F5 at my desk. I don't have any windows and I'm basically underground at the hospital where I work. F5 is a really nice mood lifter for me.

But I also bring something different every day to put on after lunch, depending on my mood and what my morning scent was.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

I'll echo Teamama: hugs to you and your caregivers and family. :hug:

Sometimes I use BPAL to anchor and comfort me and it's usually not so much about a specific scent, but about the right scent for me that day. I dot a little on my collarbone and do some deep breathing exercises, to enjoy the scent and to dispel anxiety.

Sign in to follow this