Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
miss_rynn

Belgian Chocolate, Orange Blossom, Marshmallow, and Jasmine

This comes across as a chocolate flavoured Sacred Whore of Babylon to me. The jasmine and orange blossom really compliment eachother, and gives me a scent memory of Singapore for some reason. This is really floral forward, with a wisp of chocolate in the background. If you are a jasmine lover, this is for you.

Fancy! This bonbon smells like a truffle from Vosges. The chocolate and jasmine are strongest on me, with the marshmallow and orange blossom trailing. Wet, it smells like eating chocolate mousse next to a bouquet of jasmine. Dry, this is still jasmine and chocolate—at times I smell more jasmine in the air, and then a moment later, it's mostly chocolate. They sound like strange bedfellows, and I suppose they are an unusual pairing. But it's an interesting and enjoyable combo for me.

I had a similar scent experience as LiberAmoris above, a well-balanced pairing of rich chocolate and jasmine, with marshmallow and orange blossom as supporting players. The background notes made it sweeter and added a faint citrusy spice. This scent stayed true to the wet phase as it dried on me, and while it lessened in strength, it still lingered for a few hours and had a medium throw.

I think this one may be my surprise favorite of the Lupers, since I adore both chocolate and jasmine and never thought of combining the two in one lovely, yummy scent! Definitely a bottle buy for me! <3

On me, this is mostly orange blossom (which is like a creamy floral and orange liqueur whipped together to form the gooey center of a truffle here) supported by a sweet chocolate and tart, yellowy jasmine. The marshmallow and chocolate add a little of a vanilla-y, creamy, foodie edge in the drydown, but it's mostly a fruity-floral to my nose. It's pretty, interesting, and has a rich/complex feel, but the orange and jasmine turn a little too tart & sour for me.

The jasmine in this came out super strong and I was very worried, but I let it settle and am glad I did. The jasmine is present and stays present the entire time, but the sophisticated citrus background that the orange blossom brings keeps it very balanced and there is a soft creaminess to it which is of course from the marshmallow.

I don't get a very noticeable chocolate note but I know it's there, peeking it's way through. I like this and I will use up my decant.

to me the chocolate in this smells exactly like going to neuhaus or some other chocolatier, very rich and not sweet at all. the floral scents mix really well together and are way more at the forefront than i was expecting. on dry-down it sort of reminds me of joyva raspberry jelly rings, which were one of my favorite candies in the world before i stopped eating chocolate (i'm allergic to it, but i can still wear it as perfume apparently so now i'm gonna be trying ALL the chocolate scents)

The chocolate scents continue to surprise me on BPAL. This seemed like such an odd combo, I had to get myself a decant. Jasmine and orange blossom can be a bit too heady for me, but in some cases, I adore them, and I thought with the foodie components of this scent that they would work well for me. Turns out I was right! This is heady jasmine tempered with foodie Belgian chocolate. The orange blossom and marshmallow are there, but take a backseat to the jasmine and chocolate. It seems appropriately Easter with the chocolate and white floralness.

Might be a bottle purchase.

Bottle: True-to-life Belgian chocolate! It's decidedly rich but not at all cloying. Compared to some other bonbon/chocolate Lupers I've tried, this is probably the most realistic semisweet chocolate note. It's also much more prominent than I usually get from the bottle. After huffing it a little (ok, a lot) more, the chocolate comes across as darker, with the sweetness coming from the marshmallow. Jasmine and orange blossom are definitely in the mix, too - very well-blended!

Wet: Wow, this has crazy throw! The chocolate steps back a bit - almost as if I'd bit in to the creamy liqueur center. It alternates between strong jasmine and strong orange blossom, with a hint of marshmallow in the background giving it extra creaminess and sweetness. Still impossibly true-to-life.

Dry: The jasmine wins out, and the chocolate fades even more. It's much more wearable and less overtly chocolate-shop, which is pretty nice since walking around all day smelling like that would have been overkill. This is very happy and romantic, though - all pillowy marshmallows lifted by jasmine and orange blossom. I'm generally not a fan of heady white florals but the chocolate keeps it from going too sharp.

Verdict: This one morphed from being absolutely decadent in the bottle to a lovely, sweet floral on drydown. It's not as in-your-face romantic as The Initiation (which is my favorite of the Lupers this year), but still very much a special-occasion scent. A real winner, but I'll try out the other chocolate-themed decants I got before committing to a bottle.

I. LOVE. THIS.

I really went out on a limb ordering this one. I don't do chocolate scents and I hardly ever do floral and NEVER jasmine. In a fit of cosmic timing, I had been itching to try some BPALs that I usually wouldn't combined with spending the day in a sunny grove of organge trees in full bloom and becoming intoxicated by the glorious scent! I Immediately knew I had to try this, said EFF IT and threw it in the cart. I'm so glad I did!!!

Sniffing the bottle it's all delicious creamy milk chocolate. Wet on the skin it's tootsie roll chocolate (not a bad thing!) with the florals in the background which is such an unusually good combo! As it dries down the chocolate fades to the background and the orange blossom and jasmine take the front seat. Over time it fully dries to a heady jasmine with just a hint of orange blossom made creamy by the barest hint of milky chocolate. Marshmallow doesn't stand out as an individual note but must be lending to the mellow creaminess. It's jasmine with the bite removed and made creamy and soft by the sweets. It's so beautiful! I adore it. I'm also testing this right out of the mailbox cause I just couldn't wait haha so I would imagine this will age to be even more creamy and rich.

This was a fantastic exersise in thinking out side of the BPAL box! I'm so glad I took a chance on this! I have newfound confidence to go new directions and try new scents that I didn't previously like or wouldn't think I would like. If you are a foodie who doesn't like florals, or were on the fence about this one, try it while you can! A unique, beautiful scent that you would only find in a BPAL *heart eyes*

Orange blossom, jasmine on a bed of chocolate. This is the most floral of the Box of Chocolates for 2016. Orange, jasmine, and chocolate.

This is pure chocolate in the bottle, but on my skin I get almost no chocolate save for a tiny bit of creaminess. The orange blossom and jasmine come to the front, with jasmine as the most dominant. It's a very soft and nice jasmine, not sharp at all on me.

One might think this could be a cloying scent because of the marshmallow and chocolate, but on me it is very springlike and fresh and feels mostly like a slightly creamy floral. :)

Sweet, heady, sensual.

The luscious chocolate and flowers balance each other so the final scent is neither overtly floral nor gourmand. If you like Dior Addict eau de parfum in the dark blue bottle, this is like the "naughty sister". A darker and less sweet alternative.

The chocolate is prominent when wet; fudgy and almost gamey, but once it dries down it becomes more like a dark, almost-musky ambery note. The marshmallow isn’t obvious at all; it just lends a subtle creamy sweetness to the florals which blend together and add a bright airy contrast to the chocolate note.

Not one I liked off the bat; the fudge and florals clashed a bit. But give it awhile to bloom on the skin.