Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
spookygrrrly

Rapidly Disintegrating Pomander

On my Yule "dream list" has been a pomander scent for a few years now. So I happily snatched up a bottle once the Yules came out...even if it was a rapidly disintegrating pomander.

In the Bottle: Have you ever smelled a dried slice of orange? That is what this single note smells like in the bottle. Orange citrus but not wet, juicy, and sweet like a fresh orange.

Wet: Still mostly orange citrus. Sort of like orange zest but a bit earthly too. That must be because it is disintegrating. I was hoping for a bit of clove but I'm not sure if it isn't there or needs some aging to bring it out.

Drydown: Pretty much stays the same from beginning to end. Medium throw but it is a very gentle scent so the throw seems lower than it actually is. I thought it wasn't throwing much at all but my husband let me know that while soft he could clearly smell it while sitting several feet away from me.

I like this a lot and can actually see me wearing it when I want a bit of something sunny in the winter without being too sweet. Or in the summer when I like a citrus smell but don't like to smell "sticky". I'll be interested to see if it gets even earthier as it ages.

In the bottle and wet on my skin this was extremely faint and smelled sort of like those sugared orange slice gummy candies. It was very sweet and had a sort of fake orange scent that I thought was weird at first but kind of liked.

After ten minutes, the sweet orange-aid scent dwindled down to sour rinds. I ended up washing it off.

Smells like fresh orange and spices. As it dries...you get that feeling that the pomander is truly disintegrating. It smells like it is getting older on my skin. But it smells really good on me. So I will need a partial of this too.

In the decant: Orange peel and mild spices.

Wet: Yes, this definitely smells like orange peels! But then it quickly turns into orange slices. The spices are more prominent on my skin than they were in the decant, but they are still mild and do not burn.

Dry: The scent is growing fainter over time, as one would expect from a citrus-dominant scent. It smells like bitter oranges (that are no longer juicy whatsoever) and mild spices.

Verdict: Aww. I was hoping this would mostly be orange and clove, but it's not. It's decent, but I don't need more of it.

Ah, skin chemistry. I don't get oranges or spice at all...I get apple shampoo. :peep: It's not an unpleasant scent, but not what I expected. Throw is pretty strong on me, and the scent stays true as it dries.

I think skyelyric and I must have the same skin chemistry because I got the same shampoo smell from this, but orange shampoo and very fake orange at that. I so wanted to get the pretty scent I got from the decant, alas.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: This was the one that jumped out at me when I first read the list of Yules. I loved making clove oranges when I was small and have had trouble finding scented products that could capture that aroma.

In the Bottle: Fruit and spice, though I'm getting apple rather than orange on the first whiff. The spice is very gentle.

Wet: It still can't make up its mind, but now it's more orange than before. I do get clove rising up pretty quickly. (My husband's verdict was "orange", so I guess my own nose was out of whack there.)

Drydown: The fruit mostly gives way to the spice and I get the same dusty/earthy characteristic that a few others have described. Mostly clove with a hint of the orange.

Verdict: I think I would have liked the orange to be a bit stronger, but the spice aftermath is quite nice. Think I'll play with the bottle for a while.

In the bottle: Sweet and fruity also slightly perfume-y.

Wet: Starts out a sweet fruity smell with a perfume-y scent to it. I don't seem to be getting any specific fruit smell, like orange or apple as others have mentioned above, just a mixed fruit. And no spices either... This starts going really tart.

Dry: This has now gone completely artificial on me and the scent is already almost gone. Unfortunately this, like Skyrgamur, doesn't seem to be working with my skin chemistry. :(

Oh man, this may in fact be the best Yule I've tried so far. I get bright citrus like orange and mandarin, a touch of apple with a touch of waxiness. Overall, it's a bright fruity blend and I love those. Low throw, decent wearlength though.

I was expecting orange and clove, but I don't get any spiciness from this scent. It's powdery and tart, reminding me of orange flavored sweet tarts. Very artificial. I don't like this one at all.

Orange, cranberry, spices. I wonder if maybe it's meant to smell sort of...stale. It does...it smells like a fake, bathroom air freshener. (Sorry!)