Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TallGrrl78

Chionophobia

A suffocating, oppressive white shroud: a fragrance heavy with ice, strangled by damp oakmoss, artemisia, and muguet.

A very clean soft scent. Slightly powdery. Can definitely smell the oakmoss and muguet/Lily of the Valley. As it dries the Lily comes out a lot more and it becomes lemony floral clean powder scent. I think this would be really pretty in the spring and summer as it doesn't make me think of ice when I smell it.

Reminds me a lot of Lily Savon from Lush so if you liked that definitely give this a try.

ETA - To add that this scent has decent throw and good lasting power. I applied it mid afternoon and it was still on when I went to bed around midnight.

Edited by TallGrrl78

From start to finish it was nothing but expensive powdery soap and overwhelming lily that made me feel sick. I don't mind powdery scents at all but my skin just apparently doesn't like lily being the dominant note in the least bit. Stupid chemistry ):

Edited by Haltija

This is not the typical snow note, but more of an ozone-y kind. It feels almost like an evergreen scent! That could be the oakmoss working, though.

There is a tiny floral hint from the muguet in the background, but mostly it feels a little foresty and ozone-y.

It doesn't have a lot of throw on me, though. I won't be needing a full bottle, but I'm glad I got to try it, and I will keep my decant for days when I want a little greenery in my life!

In The Bottle: Wow! Overpowering punch to the nose. Reminds me of the strong perfumes my grandmother wore.

Wet: Meh... turns all to oakmoss on me. Very earthy. Smells more like a damp tomb than snow to me.

Dry: The oakmoss scent isn't as overwhelming, but that is still all I am really getting. Not getting any of those artemisia or muguet notes at all.

Overall Impression:: Very disappointed. I was really hoping this one would have more of the snow and ice in it but all I get is moss and earth. And for me, it isn't a pretty earthy scent on me. This one just doesn't seem to work with my chemistry. Just like Snow White. I'll be in a corner crying forever until I can find a nice snowy, wintery scent that work on me for a change.

White florals and aquatic oakmoss. I have something stabbing at my nose - either the ice component combined with the artemisia or the muguet. But its like an icicle sort of jabbing at your nose.

Chilly white florals. Slightly watery based. In some ways, it reminds me of drowned lilies in a frozen lake. There's just something wrong with the picture, but you're not going to venture into the water to find that out. Nope. You're smarter than that. You've seen how this movie ends before.

This is very cologne-ish on my skin. Like a high-end masculine fragrance with a smooth, flashy tone to it. At first it's modern and glitzy from the icy notes that send off a sharp, ringing scent. It's similar to a lot of bpal ice notes that have a minty, green, ozone quality. Then it becomes more old-fashioned as the oakmoss starts taking over, adding a classic, black and white cinema feeling. Here it reminds me of Robert Piguet's Bandit, which toes the line between feminine and masculine with it's heady oakmoss based scent.

It's sexy, but ultimately too masculine for me. I love masculine scents but this is too overwhelmingly so. I don't get any touches of floral from the artemisia or sensuality from the muguet. There's a musky element that appears later on that adds a lot of depth and warmth, but it's not enough for me to want to wear it often. I ended up passing this on to a friend who really likes it and it smells great on him.

This was my surprise favorite Yule this year. The description is slightly vague, but I expected something perhaps along the lines of Snow White. However, Chionophobia is something different all together. On me it is very light and maybe a little bit clean-smelling, but not soapy as some of the other reviewers have experienced. Maybe there's a touch of white rose in there that does that for them? I feel like Chionophobia is at the same time delicate but also assertive, which I think makes for the most interesting florals. Someone mentioned that maybe there's a hint of citrus in there, and I agree, there's something sweetly lemon-ish (but not like cleaner, maybe from oakmoss or something??) in there too to brighten it up. It's amazing, because this says "winter floral" to me much more than the other floral-based Yules that I have tried. It doesn't read as particularly cold or icy on me (which I do get from Snow White a little bit), but definitely very bright white. All in all, I was so shocked by how good this one is, I might need more before Yules go away.

In the bottle: Lemony and powdery.

Wet: Now the sweetness and some plants/flowers appear.

The dry-down: Not much different in the dry-down than from the wet phase. Not as icy as expected. I would have thought that this would have had the ozone snow note, but it seems to be more akin to the sweet snow note that I can detect im Snow White most years. I expected frozen white flowers, and instead got the same florals, dusted w/ a mix of vanilla sugar and lemon sugar in their powder forms. I kind of like it. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

Medicinal and herbal at first. Dries to a soft, powdery floral that I quite like. I'm trying to think of what this reminds me of, but I can't atm. Vanilla and lemon sugar as the reviewer above put ot is a good description I think its Knockout Drops, actually. Yup, I love KOD and have a couple of bottles,, so don't need any more of this one.

It's a very atmospheric scent for me. It kind of reminds me of trips to put flowers out in the cemetery in the beginning of the spring. Like, on the last bitter cold day before the weather starts to stay mild. It's a brisk scent that is a bit ozone and a bit lily. I love lilies and muguet so this is right up my alley. It never reaches soap territory for me, though I can see where that might be true on others. I'm just lucky that way. It does get a little sweeter as it dries and smells like lilies dipped in sugar. It's quite pretty.