Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Red_Hot_Mama

Job Interview Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of looking for work. Does anyone have suggestions for any of Elizabeth's oil blends for job hunting?

I'd love to hear your ideas on the subject.

:P

A little more detail on the job, if you don't mind - what field are you looking in? Do you have lots of experience in it, or is this your first foray into job hunting along these lines?

That may sound silly, but it changes what I'd recommend. :P

i don't know about her, but i'm semi-looking for jobs (in the 'gee it'd be nice to have employment and grad school rather than just grad school' sense)

and i'd be looking for my first fulltime job in my field, aside from a handful of summer internships

A little more detail on the job, if you don't mind - what field are you looking in? Do you have lots of experience in it, or is this your first foray into job hunting along these lines?

That may sound silly, but it changes what I'd recommend. :P

Sure jj_j. I can go in two different directions.

My recent experience is in QA Software testing in the pharma industry. I am organized, analytical & enjoy writing. For some weird reason, patterns just "POP" out at me, so I tend to find things others miss. All this is either self taught (on the job training, "Here's an application see if you can break it", sort of thing) or inate.

Years ago I taught 7th & 8th grade English. When I say years, I mean about 15, so it's been a long time. I've kept my teaching certificate active but for some reason I have anxiety dreams about returning to it. It's about control, I'm sure, as I have taken knives from students in the past.

Problem is, now that I have a little 1st grader, teaching would give me a great schedule AND give me the most time with my girl.

Sorry to rattle on but I do hope it helps.

RHM

I recently went on a few job interviews, and I wore Water of Notre Dame each time, mainly because there is something about it that makes me feel very calm and clear-headed. And it's not an overwhelming scent. It smells clean.

Of course, I didn't GET either job, but I don't think it's the WOND's fault.

How interesting - these are two very different fields you're talking about!

The software testing is the tougher of the two for me to recommend. To use a whole lot of stereotypes here (but that's how employers initially interview and hire, let's face it), you want to be womanly, since that will make you stand out in a field that I'm guessing is mostly male, without negating or lessening your technical expertise impression - and that's sometimes difficult to do.

I've done a lot of interviewing, and scents either distract me from the candidates or reinforce certain aspects of their personalities that come out in the process. See the reviews, but I'd say Old Morocco, Lightning, Tears, or Unseelie, to give you a range to work with.

The teaching thing is easier - 7th and 8th graders are in that terrible, hormonal in-between stage, so something that projects a sense of "comforting" while you project enthusiasm and expertise is what I'd look for. Eve, Bewitched, Dana O'Shee, Fae, Endymion, or Tamora.

I love the Voodoo Blends, and they do get me great results ... but you have to be careful with them. The herbal-ness, for lack of a better term, is off-putting to many; in fact, you have to be careful with green scents in general, as they're least favored in polls of the public nose (which is why Tears is the only one listed).

I'd also remind you to put these on when you leave the house, and don't touch up more than thirty minutes before an interview - we forget the strength of these oils sometimes, and touch-ups have been known to bowl my office staff over if I'm not really careful. I wouldn't want to be in a smaller office with a closed door if I'd just re-applied, however carefully - and if I were nervous, heaven only knows if I could keep from spilling an Imp or bottle all over myself. :D

All that aside, good luck with your interviews! Remember, your scents are just an extension of you ... you're what counts. :P

Thanks jj_j!

Fragrance is so important to me & I know it can be offputting to many. I myself get migraines from some of the more synthetic perfumes. I didn't want to come across as "flighty" or "flirty".... you know what I mean.

As far as the diverse carreer paths, that's just my Gemini-ness expressing itself & I understand that. Actually, the QA field, at least in the pharma industry, is mostly women. Let's face it we are master organizers, multitaskers & detail oriented. If you can write well, software testing is really interesting.

I will be careful applying the oils & follow your time frames.

I will order some Imp Ears in the oil blends you suggested. Unfortunately, none of your recommendations were in my first or second order. I've ordered, Sol, High John the Conqueror, the Star, the Empress, Seraphim, Siren, Snake Oil, Velvet, Viola & Zephyr. I haven't received them yet: it's too soon. Perhaps I can participate in the Swap board & get what I need.

You all have been very kind in your comments.

RHM

I actually took Snake Oil off the list for the education job, because it's sometimes a little heavy to people, and while I'm waiting for Zephyr, I understand it might be a good substitute for the Lightning.

Great order list, by the way! :P

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. My Imp Ears are showing "shipped" but I did not have them for the interviews.

Instead, I read the oils in the suggestions you all made & used those.

It worked!

I got a fabulous job offer.

:D

Many Thanks!!!

Christine

aka: RHM

mind if i hijack?

i'm also looking for work. i lost my job at the end of 2003 and have only gotten one nibble so far. i have an mba ( :P ) and am looking for an administrative or coordinator-type position at a non-profit or a university. i like organizing things and coordinating people, and am very strong analytically.

can any recommend any scents for me?

key words: cool. composed. clean. proper. relatively gender-neutral.

Rosewood could work, if it's in the realm of dry, not sweet.

As for blends:

I'm thinking of....

Storm

The Hierophant (if you're in a position of authority)

Whitechapel

Eidolon

Tempest

Phantasm

Deimos

Phobos

Old Shanghai

Pain

Kumiho

key words: cool. composed. clean. proper. relatively gender-neutral.

I think I agree, although I do feel like you can go a bit more feminine in this one. Organization and administration seems to be more and more a woman's realm these days, and I think that if you had a female interviewer, she might be pleased to see that you're comfortable enough with being a woman that you wear something a little less gender-neutral.

Many women in authority believe the sex-role stereotyping still exists, but are also tired of hearing other women whine about it (at least, that was the consensus of about 300 women at a Women's History Month networking luncheon I went to last week, where the two top officials under the university president, both women, talked about their jobs, how they got there, etc. and answered questions). I think mostly gender-neutral but not completely could be very important for you.

In addition, organizers have a tendency to be inaccessible to the public; their nature is often one that minimizes social skills. You don't want too composed and proper ...

Off that soapbox, I'd pick:

Tears

Unseelie

Old Morocco

Lightning (a touch of floral that Storm didn't have for me)

Zephyr

Good luck with the job hunting, Grrrlennyl!

I wore Zephyr for my first job interview in 2 years yesterday and I think it was the perfect choice. Clean, fresh and composed, but not really gender neutral.

Good luck, Grrrlennyl! :P

Since I started this & had excellent results, I thought I'd add my opinion:

First of all the advice I received here was very good. It's a good idea to start at the beginning & read through the thread for ideas.

I can second the "Tears", "Zephyr" suggestions.

These oils are very good for tension, Chamomile, Clary, Cypress, Frankincense, Geranium, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Neroli, Orange, Rose, Rosewood, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang. Depending upon your interest, you can search on any of these oils & come up with some very good selections.

Lemon is particularly good for focus.

I hope this helps & good luck.

Christine

well, I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!

i'm overqualified for the position, but it's better than no job, eh ? anyway, i was hoping i could get some oil recomendations from you folks.

it's for an office assistant position in the african and black studies program at a university. i have pretty much all of the oils list here, unless the "overall" section of my review says i got rid of it. the interview is on tuesday afternoon.

thanks in advance!!!

This is not going to be a popular opinion, but one thing that has been beaten into my head over and over again is to NEVER wear fragrance to a job interview. What smells delightful to you might be horrific to your interviewer (or they could have a fragrance sensitivity, or be allergic to one of the oils, or prone to migraines, or...) and it could prejudice them against you. It would be terrible not to get a job because of the fragrance that you chose to wear.

That said, if you feel naked without a fragrance (which I do), wear something as light and inoffensive as possible. Old Shanghai and Kumiho would be good picks. Embalming Fluid, which I haven't smelled, would probably also be appropriate. I would stick to something that smells light and clean - nothing overly floral, nothing spicy, nothing very sweet or fruity.

Boring, but safe.

well, I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!

Yay!!

No inspiration on scents I'm afraid, but I wanted to wish you Loads of Luck for Tuesday. Everything is crossed and positive vibes on the way :P

ETA: Well inspiration struck a bit as I posted. I would go with my Celestial oil, Libra. I see Pisces is in your list so assume that is yours? If so and it makes you feel calm, collected, positive etc and you consider it appropriate / suitable, I would try that.

Edited by allamanda

This is not going to be a popular opinion, but one thing that has been beaten into my head over and over again is to NEVER wear fragrance to a job interview.  What smells delightful to you might be horrific to your interviewer (or they could have a fragrance sensitivity, or be allergic to one of the oils, or prone to migraines, or...) and it could prejudice them against you.  It would be terrible not to get a job because of the fragrance that you chose to wear.

That said, if you feel naked without a fragrance (which I do), wear something as light and inoffensive as possible.  Old Shanghai and Kumiho would be good picks.  Embalming Fluid, which I haven't smelled, would probably also be appropriate.  I would stick to something that smells light and clean - nothing overly floral, nothing spicy, nothing very sweet or fruity.

Boring, but safe.

I looked at the oils on your list and concur with Electra that Embalming Fluid would be a good choice. Best of luck on your interview!

Tomorrow is my first in-person meeting with my Headmaster...ohhh, that sounds so wrong. :D What I mean is, the Headmaster of the prep school where I've just been hired--we've only spoken on the phone as of yet. I don't *think* the job could be snatched from me, but it's still a little nerve-wracking--when I got into town today I drove by to see the school, and it is gorgeous--huge, stunning Victorian mansion w/ fountains and manicured lawns. Intimidating. :D Very.

I was going to wear something "neutral", but after seeing it I'm feeling a real need for Persephone--since it's all-girls and all female faculty, I don't exactly seeing being feminine as a problem here. :D I don't intend to put on too much, but Persephone makes me feel happy and lovely...my (rambling) point here is that this is an intuitive thing, so wear whatever puts you in the right frame of mind.

Argh, I'm nervous!! I'll report back tomorrow. :P

Hi guys.

I'm meeting the editor of a Danish magazine tomorrow. As some of you may know, I'm a freelance journalist in London - and originally from Denmark. Now, this editor might want to sign me to write a weekly column about gossip and trends in London. I would so love to do this, and I really hope it goes well. I'm meeting him for dinner and drinks, so it's a bit more informal than a real job interview.

But do you have any suggestions as for which perfume I should wear? Something that says I'm strong, succesfull and will make him sign me :P

What I have to choose from:

Queen Gertrude

Tushnamatay

Ouija

Phantasm

Blood Lotus

Pele

Ulalume

Shattered

Gluttony

Desire

Tarot: The World

Tarot: The Sun

Thank you :D

Well, the only ones I've tried from your list are Tushnamatay, Pele and Tarot: the World.

I'd go with Tarot: the World. Though, Pele might fit better with trends and gossip.

Heh. that isn't much help is it?

Wear whichever one makes you feel the most confident.