Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Wooden Bullet

A .38 caliber bullet fashioned from cocobolo wood and brass.

Wooden Bullet was straight up smoky vetiver, wood, and gunpowder.

In other words, a masculine version of Agnes Nutter - although smoother and woodier.

Grainy, woodsy sweetness (brings to mind my beloved Bezoar). Maybe a faint metallic brightness at first, but it fades out. I also feel like I smell wet clay, of all things! This blend is very close to the skin. I adore woods, but this one's too faint for me.

I thought this was going to be a lot more interesting than it was.

Sandalwood? Powdery sandalwood dominates (or at least something that comes off like that) and the rest is just "perfumy" without being distinctive. I was really hoping for the metal to come into play and make it more evocative, but I didn't catch a whiff of that component at all.

Its inoffensive, not amazing or interesting.

In Bottle: I have no experience of cocobolo, but it’s definitely dominant here. It’s hard to describe and utterly gorgeous. It’s very hardwood, complicated, juicy, and sort of floral. It is as strong and distinct and cedar, but doesn’t smell like cedar. If you like woods, this likely needs to be in your collection, because there is nothing like it. The brass is a beautiful compliment to the wood and I’m betting this is about to become a staple. Wet: If anything, the wood is even more exciting on my skin, with that rich brass support. I’m in love with this. Dry: The wood softens in some absolutely lovely ways as the brass fades out.

Cologne, with metal, brass, gunpowder, and wood. The cologne fades quickly and I can smell the gunpowder in the wooden bullet itself. I smell the brass of the gun, this by far is the most evocative and wondrous scents of the OLLA series. So glad I bought a bottle. :D

This to me would smell like a gun room. A polished, beautiful room owned by someone who collects guns, old and ancient guns made of brass and other metals. Evocative, kind of masculine, so I wouldn't wear it. I'd like to try this on a guy though...It reminds me a bit of Signor Dildo, so go figure...

This is all about wood. It has a bit of a high pitched note that fades quickly. Im thinking thats the brass note. Then it settles to a soft woody note, like sandalwood only not as soapy. The wood note is layered...blonde wood and brown wood. As it seeps further and further into my skin it gets warm and sweet. Im not a big woods fan but this is truly decadent.

The wood in this is too faint and the brass is too loud.

I was hoping for a deep, rich wood with a bit of something metallic along the edges but the wood note seems kinda flat to me.

I can smell it but it really has no character. If that makes sense.

When this dries it smells like super masculine cologne.

Just not for me.

This is so cool.

Wet, it's straight up smooth, dark wood.
As it dries, a beautiful, almost aquatic note emerges that for once isn't at all soapy. It has a slight heat behind it while remaining cold and solid.
Apparently, that's what metal smells like to me. Once I looked at the notes, my reaction was very much "Oh. Yeah, that's definitely brass, wow."
Seriously, that brass note is awesome. This is so not something I (queen of soft, moody florals) would normally like, but I kind of adore it just for how well-blended it is. Simple, yet clean and with depth.

I'm at a loss for helpful words with this one. it's very very pretty.

yes, there are wood notes. nice and rich and polished. more cool than warm.

yes, a touch of metal.

yes, sublimely blended.

the whole of the above is ultimately a fantastic cologne, one that gently wafts about filling the space around me and yet also delicious and detectable on the skin.

I blind bought a bottle based on a rec from my decantress, who declared it her personal favorite after having spent time smelling and decanting the whole series, and I've no regrets. another top notch scent in an incredible series.

The Wooden Bullet smells like so much more than the notes. This is woods warmed by a golden sunset, slightly sweet and not too masculine, exotic and rich. I'm so happy I bought a bottle and just might need a backup. It's not like any other woody or woodsy scents in my collection.

I think several of the other reviews perfectly described Wooden Bullet. It goes on like a very strong wood, but layered, different wood scents all combining into a sweet wood smell. Not like a tree, but more like a piece of carved wood. As it blooms on my skin it retains a fresh, sweet wooden edge, but there is a hint of super sensual male cologne. It's almost like pheromones, very alluring. As I wear it throughout the day I get that sweet, sappy wooden quality, combined with the cologne, and a slightly heavy metallic note.

To me this smells the way my husband's workshop smells when he's been in there all day: cut wood, metal tinge in the air, male musk, cologne, and love. :wub3:

Dry, dusty wood and a sharp, metallic, musky men's cologne scent that dries down with a strange, almost rusty smell and a hint of smoky, burnt metal. The woods turn really dry and slightly powdery on me, and I don't like that clean/musky cologne thing happening in this either. It's too sharp and too dry for my tastes.

Okay so I've been hanging on to this blind bottle for months without wearing it because every time I pick it up to consider culling it since I felt kind of meh about it, something makes me keep it. That said, I've worn it three times this week, and I think it's now a permanent fixture of my collection.

I love wood. Wooden Bullet scratches that itch. Dry, sharp wood--not pencil shavings or lumber and not shellacked or varnished, either, but finished with an oil polish. It's wood and gun oil. Mineral oil, technically, but gun oil has a particular metallic tang to it that peels it away from the pack. I really love this. It's cologney, to be sure, definitely has something clean lurking in the back that I would tentatively pinpoint as vaguely aquatic, but it blends together beautifully.

I would be delighted if someone could bottle the scent of pure gunpowder. It's been one of my favorite scents since I was a child because to me it smells like the concept of lightning. Failing that perfect gunpowder scent, this blend is so beautifully evocative of that scent family, that gun scent, without being harsh or bitter. This is a gorgeous blend.

I really liked this for about two minutes. The balance of wood and metal notes was lovely, smooth and rounded. Then it went very wrong -- cocobolo has a slightly floral woody scent (it's a rosewood relation) and it did not mix well with the lighter brassy notes for me; it became very sour and unpleasant on my skin. I don't get anything smoky from this at all, just polished wood and brass. It had a pretty solid throw and got louder with wear. It was giving me a bit of a headache, so I ended up layering it with a different scent that was also mostly wood plus actual rose notes and that toned it down, but that scent wore off and Wooden Bullet was still there underneath. It's still there now, twelve hours later. Have you ever had an brass figurine or pendant and played with it for a bit and then smelled your hands? I used to wear a pendant that was a hand-me-down from my mother, who I think got it at a garage sale; I fidgeted with it constantly and my fingers used to smell like the brass note in this. Excellent ratings for being evocative, but wearable for me, not so much.