Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GoldenRubee

Deadly Nightshade Honey Bonbon

Nightshade accord-infused summer honey encased in dark chocolate.

This is a creamy, soft honey, softly herbal blend with a touch of cocoa. The herbal note fades quickly, and leaves a lovely sweet floral with little wisps of the chocolate swirling around. This is not a complicated scent but it does have lasting power, I can still smell it's unique scent three hours later. For such a soft scent I think that's pretty good. One bottle is enough for me though.

In bottle: What it says on the box. Honey dominant with the floral and herbal scent of nightshade and the bite of dark chocolate. The go together beautifully. You must like honey for this to work for you. Wet: Still pervasively honey, but the nightshade accord really pops on the skin, the flowers dancing with the honey, the bitter berries with the chocolate, and the leaves bridging between them. Dry: It softens as it wears, the nightshade fading down, and the chocolate melting quietly into the honey, which stays strong.

Immediately on, I thought, "NOPE," but it is unexpectedly starting to grow on me.

Unlike the previous reviewers, I am not getting a big hit of honey. I get a green floral and sweetness, almost like unripened fruit. I have to close my eyes and really focus to get any chocolate. I imagine it's like a dark backdrop, making the bright colors of the other notes stand out without making much of an impression on its own. The honey does start to show itself more strongly as it warms and dries, and I think it will eventually overwhelm the nightshade, but I can't complain because I love both notes.

All in all, I don't think the chocolate has made enough of an appearance to warrant me buying the LE version of this scent, but I will definitely put Deadly Nightshade Honey on my list for GC bottles to purchase.

In the imp: Soft, dark cocoa.

Wet on skin: Interesting. It's mostly cocoa, but there is a faint herbal undertone to it. Very pretty, and gives it a little bit of complexity.

Dried down: Still sweet, dark cocoa with a soft herbal undertone. The undertone is barely there - I don't know if I would notice it if I wasn't looking for it.

Throw: This definitely has some throw to it. I'm enjoying it.

Verdict: **** I'm not entirely certain I need a bottle of this. But I probably will be on the lookout for a secondhand bottle in the future.

DEADLY NIGHTSHADE HONEY BONBON

In Vitro Dark sweet chocolate.

Wet Freshly applied this was honey with chocolate. Over the next few minutes the chocolate was replaced by a herbal background, which in turn faded to just a suggestion of chocolate in the honey. There was some throw during this phase.

Drying Slightly herbal honey, lacking the sharpness that I get from more "pure" honey scents. As it faded it was less distinguishable as honey until, an hour and a half on, there remained a faint sweet scent. I was testing this before bedtime, and sometime during the night I awoke and smelled faint chocolate on my wrist.

I love BPAL's chocolate and its honey, so it was a good bet that I'd like this and I certainly do. The nightshade part made me hesitate because of my skin's issues with floral notes, but this was more of a leafy tone than a flowery one. It occurs to me that the way this scent unfolded was like consuming an actual bonbon - the initial burst of chocolate coating, mixed with and eventually washed away by sweet honey filling that lingered in the mouth. And finally just a smidge more chocolate from the crumbs licked of the candy wrapper. I'm looking forward to slathering this.

I always enjoyed Deadly Nightshade Honey, and used to have a bottle long long time ago.

It's softer, slightly more floral, and the chocolate makes it much more dimensional than the original DNH.

If you love honey, give this a whirl.

In the imp: Light honey, something green and leafy, faint hint of chocolate.

Wet: Yum! Much as on cold sniff, only moreso! And with added chocolate.

The dry-down: I liked this better in the wet stage. Now I get a whiff of the greenish nightshade, then a whiff of chocolate, then a whiff of chocolate. It's like they were happy together at first, but now the three notes are playing a power game. I still like it, and am debating a bottle.

I'm getting a weird, bitter honey. Not saying I don't like it, it's rather unusual and compelling. Turns more herbally green, it reminds me of the pulpiness of U, the Mutter Museum vanilla one a bit. Still, I doubt I'd wear this, it's just a bit too odd for me. I don't detect any chocolate whatsoever.

eta: This blend totally reminds me of Imaginer, it's almost a dead ringer when totally dry.

Edited by milo

i held on to this bottle for ages, because it smells so nice in the bottle but just never worked on my skin.

now that this bottle is going on to a better home, i figured i should share the notes i had in the box with it.

something about this reminds me of a cologne my Daddy wore at some point. it doesn't really smell like chocolate, and it also doesn't really remind me at all of regular Deadly Nightshade Honey.

this is kinda like a sweet cigar - unlit.

but on my weird skin, the Lab's honey note dominates everything... and i can't stand it. i love honey, but apparently only east coast honey and not west coast honey. boo.